ADVERTISEMENT

Who to cheer for tonight - NDSU or sCUm?

DraftKings went from 6.5 to 7 point Husker favorites. I think it will go a little higher before next Saturday.

Pretty much agree with everyone about Puff strengths and weakness. It’s all very obvious. Shaduer is being done a huge disservice being chained to his dad’s shitty teams. He could likely win a natty on 10-20 other teams. Imagine if he was on any team that could run the ball at all.

Run the ball and hit Fidone on medium routes. We have a lot more receivers than they can blanket every play. 20 more seconds and another timeout and I think the Bison had them beat. I’ve never seen the media do what they’re doing for Colorado (in football anyways) . We need to impose a lot of reality upon them!!
Line may get up in the double digits if Raiola impresses tomorrow

At this point nothing has changed with CU. It is all out there on tape. Porous defense, fast receivers, accurate qb who holds the ball a long time waiting for big plays, offensive play calling that values stats over wins, a chippy team that is suseptible to penalties. No secret on how they play. No excuse for not having a gameplan that beats them.
Frankly, I have seen lots of game plans that looked great on paper.

Gotta have the horses that execute the plan. Then be flexible enough to change where necessary.

Wasn’t it Iron Mike who said everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Gotta have the horses that execute the plan. Then be flexible enough to change where necessary.

Wasn’t it Iron Mike who said everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.
That is something that this staff seems to do well on D and that is in game adjustments. No waiting until half to switch it up. Hopefully the O shows the same ability this year.

Wait, now NU has to make little or no mistakes to beat CU? The 4-8 team from last year? We played the most mistake filled football Ive ever seen last year and were still in almost every game with 3 minutes left. And what is Sapp going to say to his guys about Nebraska, a team that demoralized him last time he saw them?
People are still responding to 20 years of a program that was in the skids. While I don't wear rose colored glasses it's pretty obvious to me that there are significant differences between what I see at NU now under Rhule vs just about every prior year dating back to the early 00s.

They have burners at WR and a QB that can deliver the ball. I actually think NDST had a good game plan and really won the LOS against the Buffs and still lost. Their offensive skill guys are better than most of the Big 10 teams. However NU's defense will be faster and more physical than any CU will likely face this year and NU has more and better weapons offensively than last year.

Reactions: headcard
I don't like that CU has more than a week to iron out their issues and prep for us. Ugh. Losing to CU would be a major buzzkill for our season.

Memorial Stadium is gonna be LOUD & electric for this one. Hopefully the team channels all that.
Why they had all summer to iron out their issues. You think they're going to fix it with 2 extra days?

Reactions: shocksker
I think we can move the ball and score points for sure, but NDSU had more success through the air than on the ground last night.

Colorado held them to 3.7 ypc, but NDSU completed 20/24 passes for 292 yards.

No less than 2 Big sacks by CU against the 2nd string qb no doubt deflated those ypc #'s. Stats tell nothing when out of context. CU called 40% run plays. Did you notice? I felt that NDSU did whatever they wanted on Offense minus a couple key 3rd downs. They didn't break any longer runs besides the qb TD. They did move the LOS and the chains. Kept drives going with 3.4 yards at a time. Popped a couple passes to RB, hello RJ.......

They have burners at WR and a QB that can deliver the ball. I actually think NDST had a good game plan and really won the LOS against the Buffs and still lost. Their offensive skill guys are better than most of the Big 10 teams. However NU's defense will be faster and more physical than any CU will likely face this year and NU has more and better weapons offensively than last year.
They played almost exclusively cover 2 or some variation, mostly Tampa 2 where MLB is deeper to play deep middle. Tony Whites 3-3-5 allows him to cover the same spaces with more speed and still rush from different angles. Getting pressure with 4 and with discipline so SS doesn't move and extend plays will be KEY.

No less than 2 Big sacks by CU against the 2nd string qb no doubt deflated those ypc #'s. Stats tell nothing when out of context. CU called 40% run plays. Did you notice? I felt that NDSU did whatever they wanted on Offense minus a couple key 3rd downs. They didn't break any longer runs besides the qb TD. They did move the LOS and the chains. Kept drives going with 3.4 yards at a time. Popped a couple passes to RB, hello RJ.......

I think we will move the ball and score points, but I think it will have to be balanced. Without a running QB, I don't think we are going to just gash them on the ground. I was actually surprised how well they held up against the run (low expectations) and how many plays they gave up in the passing game, after hearing SO much about the DB's and pass rushers they added.

They have burners at WR and a QB that can deliver the ball. I actually think NDST had a good game plan and really won the LOS against the Buffs and still lost. Their offensive skill guys are better than most of the Big 10 teams.
this is what I saw, too.

basically our kryptonite over the past 20 years.

can't wait to see our guys tomorrow afternoon.

This is basically exactly what I was hoping wouldn’t happen

Hard fought game and sanders/hunter looking the part

We will have our hands full
No kidding.

Sanders is pretty much a passing machine. He can extend plays, he hardly ever misses his target.

Him getting dinged up on the first play is the only thing that will stop him from ending up with 35+ completions and 325+ yards and 3 TD's.

Hunter is open every single time the ball is thrown his way.

I think we will move the ball and score points, but I think it will have to be balanced. Without a running QB, I don't think we are going to just gash them on the ground. I was actually surprised how well they held up against the run (low expectations) and how many plays they gave up in the passing game, after hearing SO much about the DB's and pass rushers they added.
HH will likely make some plays in that game.

Reactions: headcard
No kidding.

Sanders is pretty much a passing machine. He can extend plays, he hardly ever misses his target.

Him getting dinged up on the first play is the only thing that will stop him from ending up with 35+ completions and 325+ yards and 3 TD's.

Hunter is open every single time the ball is thrown his way.
he looked way bigger/better than last year

completed a ton of balls with pressure in his face

going to need a monster game from Butler, Princewill, Williams. Robinson is so painfully slow I'm not sure how much we can even have him out there

they just won a tough game against a tough, well coached team - exactly what everyone here desperately hoped was impossible

Their WR and QB are on par with the top of the Big Ten. Their RBs are not.

going to need a monster game from Butler, Princewill, Williams. Robinson is so painfully slow I'm not sure how much we can even have him out there

they just won a tough game against a tough, well coached team - exactly what everyone here desperately hoped was impossible
I love you takes, but NDSU is still Div II. Colorado is exactly who we thought they were. Do you think there is more than a couple players on our Def 2 deep that wouldn't be the best def player at NDSU? I don't. Horn was WIDE open on busted coverages 2x.
I do agree that Colorados big play ability makes me nervous but I think our D line and safety is a lot better than what they faced last night.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I love you takes, but NDSU is still Div II. Colorado is exactly who we thought they were. Do you think there is more than a couple players on our Def 2 deep that wouldn't be the best def player at NDSU? I don't. Horn was WIDE open on busted coverages 2x.
I do agree that Colorados big play ability makes me nervous but I think our D line and safety is a lot better than what they faced last night.
you're right.

we never bust coverages and are always fundamentally sound.

I haven't looked through everything on this thread, but I have not see the biggest factor that will play in to my viewing experience for the NU CU game.
Freaking Colt McCoy is going to be doing the color for the game.Sick

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
I haven't looked through everything on this thread, but I have not see the biggest factor that will play in to my viewing experience for the NU CU game.
Freaking Colt McCoy is going to be doing the color for the game.Sick
saw that, too

finally no FOX and somehow we still get worse than klatt in the booth

you're right.

I get it but is NU a top 20 caliber Def? I agree there may be a big play or 2 but I just don't think CU can drive the field on a good Def. I think NU is a good FBS Def.
I am trying to be optimistic that NU won't be an absolute turnover machine. I also think Mazzccua is going to open hoke 2x what NDSU ran through last night. HH gets packages to run from this weekend and hits a Big play next weekend.
9/7 will be a great measuring stick to see if/where there has been real visible progress.

you're right.

We may not fare any better but the NFL talent at NDSU has been slipping. That is not a team with guys like Nick LeDucia, Kyle Emmanuel, or Jabril Cox. Defense had a lot of guys that are older but hadn't started a ton of games. Athlete for athlete it's no comparison. They didn't have a Tommi Hill, Nash, Lenhardt, or Princewill.

I was also encouraged by how easily NDSU moved the ball. That was surprising, even though NDSU is usually pretty efficient.

saw that, too

finally no FOX and somehow we still get worse than klatt in the booth
I don't mind Klatt and Gus Johnson. Benetti and Hurad aren't too bad either. I am just surprised the NBC couldn't do better than McCoy. At least it aint Jason Garrett. Man is he boring to listen to during a game.

I get it but is NU a top 20 caliber Def?
I don't know

last year we played 2 teams with NFL QBs

both torched our defense without issue

maybe this year will be different. I just have no clue what to think.

I don't mind Klatt and Gus Johnson. Benetti and Hurad aren't too bad either. I am just surprised the NBC couldn't do better than McCoy. At least it aint Jason Garrett. Man is he boring to listen to during a game.
klatt is a soulless CU homer

gus johnson is the most annoying pbp guy in all of sports

We may not fare any better but the NFL talent at NDSU has been slipping. That is not a team with guys like Nick LeDucia, Kyle Emmanuel, or Jabril Cox. Defense had a lot of guys that are older but hadn't started a ton of games. Athlete for athlete it's no comparison. They didn't have a Tommi Hill, Nash, Lenhardt, or Princewill.

I was also encouraged by how easily NDSU moved the ball. That was surprising, even though NDSU is usually pretty efficient.
looking forward to R Johnson catching passes in the flat and turning up field for chunk yards.

Over the past decade, it seemed like we had players running open all over but we just couldn't get them the ball. Hopefully Dylan changes that

looking forward to R Johnson catching passes in the flat and turning up field for chunk yards.

Over the past decade, it seemed like we had players running open all over but we just couldn't get them the ball. Hopefully Dylan changes that
Hopefully he actually catches it. People talk about his pass catching skills but I seem to remember him dropping a key pass or two.

Wish we could capitalize on a strip sack or 2 with Shedeur. He is very vulnerable to that, but it's probably going to need to be a quick guy like Princewill or Williams.

NU will be in a weird spot, do you keep Nash and Robinson out there...vs a team that is not going to try an run the ball at all...or do you basically go out there with 3 DEs as your front 3 and get speed out there. If CU wants to try winning the game by running the ball, fine, let them try.

But having Nash and Robinson out there trying to put pressure on Sanders who will just side step or spin out of it, seems like a bad idea.

You are better off going with 3 DE's...2 Lbers and 6 DB types.

If memory serves, NU did blow a couple coverages too. But I think they punted 3 or 4 times. If we force 3 or 4 punts next week and get 6-8 sacks, I just don't see a world where NU doesn't turn that into a W.
Rightfully, the offense has so many in a wait and see mode. We don't have to even ve really good, just not really bad and this is close. Be even good on Offense and it's not close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT