ADVERTISEMENT

Who had the better game?

As horrible as Fyfe was at Purdue, I have a hard time blaming him for that performance. How you can stick him out there to sling the ball all over the place and ask him to make plays he's nowhere near capable of making, is beyond me - especially against the worst rush defense in the conference and one of the worst in the country.

And then the self-proclaimed superior intellects among us insist that we just could not run the ball to save our lives against Purdue, because they "held" NU to 2.7 ypc. Take a look at the Huskers ended up at that figure:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400763555

The per-carry average on actual running plays was 5.1 yards, but this was offset by QB sacks and a huge loss on a bad shotgun snap. But why let actual facts get in the way?

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
that was fife's first start, with 1 weeks worth of practice. did he throw 4 picks? I forgot.

not sure a qb could play a worse game than TA vs Iowa, esp for a third year starter.

images

Kinda like Riley vs Callahan.

5-7 That same QB was 17-5 before Riley arrived.

I wouldn't play for our crap fans either.

Kinda like Riley vs Callahan.

5-7 That same QB was 17-5 before Riley arrived.

I wouldn't play for our crap fans either.
Good call, cuz all the fans ever did whenever Tommy was in was boo him... o_O

You sure you mean all the fans, or just Internet message board fans? Painting with a pretty broad brush here...

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man
Good call, cuz all the fans ever did whenever Tommy was in was boo him... o_O

You sure you mean all the fans, or just Internet message board fans? Painting with a pretty broad brush here...

Internet fans. The ones most visible to our players unfortunately.

Internet fans. The ones most visible to our players unfortunately.
If coaches don't keep their players focused on fans outside of Twitter and message boards, they're not doing their jobs. That doesn't mean the guys aren't looking at social media, but I would hope the players know the difference between anonymous internet fan and the ones cheering their team on in the stands.

The anonymity of the internet sucks for sure...

If coaches don't keep their players focused on fans outside of Twitter and message boards, they're not doing their jobs. That doesn't mean the guys aren't looking at social media, but I would hope the players know the difference between anonymous internet fan and the ones cheering their team on in the stands.

The anonymity of the internet sucks for sure...

As an athlete you submerge yourself in the game. That also means . seeing what other players do. With the internet that's much easier to do. I know the temptations of reading a message board are overwhelming.

Plus you can get instant gratification n=by using social media.

As an athlete you submerge yourself in the game. That also means . seeing what other players do. With the internet that's much easier to do. I know the temptations of reading a message board are overwhelming.

Plus you can get instant gratification n=by using social media.
I hear ya, and it can be a huge distraction... Coaches from other teams wouldn't ban the use of social media from their players if it weren't. At the same time, Tommy has a ton of fans in his corner. He just needs to look up each Saturday they play in Lincoln.

that was fife's first start, with 1 weeks worth of practice. did he throw 4 picks? I forgot.

4 picks plus a fumble that he tried to pick-up and run with.
Considering the weather and the level of competition, Fyfe had a worse game than Armstrong. Fyfe played a 2-10 Purdue. Tommy played a 12-1 Iowa, with the strength of their team being their secondary. Purdue's opposing QB rating defense is 139 while Iowa's is 106.
Fyfe had a good 4th quarter, but the team had 16 points for the first 3. Against Purdue.
Tommy has struggled against good defenses. Fyfe struggled against Purdue.

right and armstrong has had 2 years of starting, where purdue was fyfes first start.

that means in translation 2 years (plurality of years) of starting with the first string offense. and he throws 4 picks. in one game... with 2 years of starting games, compared to fifes one (singularity of games) game

right and armstrong has had 2 years of starting, where purdue was fyfes first start.

that means in translation 2 years (plurality of years) of starting with the first string offense. and he throws 4 picks. in one game... with 2 years of starting games, compared to fifes one (singularity of games) game

That's not the question that was asked. I could go in there, throw 18 interceptions and it would be perfectly understandable, even expected. I'm not expected to be better than Fyfe or Armstrong. Fyfe isn't expected to be better than Armstrong, for the multiple reasons you list. And he wasn't.

First, the coaches have to get the QB's attention by setting a practice penalty for throwing interceptions. If that's running stadium steps, so be it. The body will send notice to brain, more practical than screaming or bad mouthing, plus does not adversely affect QB's confidence. There has to be coincidences for throwing interceptions, specifically the number thrown.

It's not that we don't like the TA, it's we're hating some of his actions.

To answer the question, TA at Iowa - due to being the starting QB for the season, selected by the coaches and the importance of the Iowa game. Believe this was a combination of poor judgement by the QB, no attention to detail and laziness.

This discussion, or a political discuss?

Doesn't really matter, people will come into it with their opinion already in place and just make loud noises til the thread gets locked.

That's not the question that was asked. I could go in there, throw 18 interceptions and it would be perfectly understandable, even expected. I'm not expected to be better than Fyfe or Armstrong. Fyfe isn't expected to be better than Armstrong, for the multiple reasons you list. And he wasn't.
fair enough, I guess Im just looking for an alternative when Armstrong goes into interception mode. Cool

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT