ADVERTISEMENT

When will we start hearing things coming out about winter conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2001
I'm wondering when if ever we will start hearing news out of winter conditioning. The impression I get from media members is frost is going to be pretty tight lipped on everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the players also will be shut down to speaking.

Sounds like they are all in for a rude awakening wonder how many will just simply quit.

I'm wondering when if ever we will start hearing news out of winter conditioning. The impression I get from media members is frost is going to be pretty tight lipped on everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the players also will be shut down to speaking.

Sounds like they are all in for a rude awakening wonder how many will just simply quit.
I believe there is a winter conditioning press conference scheduled Monday at 11:30.

Substance over style
This will be a dramatic change compared to the previous hype, house of cards regime

No one is going to be promoted as an nfl lottery pick prior to taking their first snap
Especially when their real Life track record shows as many interceptions as touchdowns

Don't expect to hear much

Last edited:
Reactions: SnohomishRed
“They would push us with love.”

Above is an article on what we can expect for the workout program going forward. I don't think there will be the same old lip service payed to the media. Scott has a system in place and sounds like players should buy in and build some hard earned gains in the off season. Can't wait. #gbr

Last edited:
They started with 40 time testing on their first day for each position group.

All of the returning players ran slow times. #HuskerSlowPokes

All of the new guys that just came to Nebraska this semester ran amazing times. #NewHuskerSpeed

Now we all know how bad the previous teams were and how much better we will be going forwards.

They started with 40 time testing on their first day for each position group.

All of the returning players ran slow times. #HuskerSlowPokes

All of the new guys that just came to Nebraska this semester ran amazing times. #NewHuskerSpeed

Now we all know how bad the previous teams were and how much better we will be going forwards.

I heard some of the starters couldn’t even beat Rich Eisen’s 40 yard time at the NFL Combine...simply sad. Winking

richharbaugh.gif

There has been a lot of puking, passing out and IV's needed. Other than that, we probably won't hear or see much until we see the results on the field.

Yup.
IV's have been spotted.
Feels good.

There has been a lot of puking, passing out and IV's needed. Other than that, we probably won't hear or see much until we see the results on the field.
Wow. Hard to believe a Husker team is that out of shape. As an old coach of mine used to say...
"You boys are soft and flat like a bad tire! I'll pump you up good, but you're gonna hate me before were through!"
Good times.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I just read an interview with one of the UCF players - he said it does not matter how good of shape you are in - the workouts will hit you hard. Alot of core building and "burst" work. And that will result in some players chucking cookies. I guess there is a trash can sprint in particular that was HATED/LOVED by the UCF team. He admitted he puked - even weeks into the winter program. BUT - once you get used to it the speed at practice and games fit together. Sounds like he was not bought in until he saw how it impacted games. And the HUGE improvements he made in testing.

Chip Kelly is big on unconventional training - sounds like Frost has taken that experience and Husker Power to make some thing new. LOVE IT!!

The circuit they are referring too is derived from the Husker Power Circuit in the 90s. High intensity focusing on big movements. It's a bear, but once you get through a cycle of it you'll be prepared to practice at the high level Frost is looking for.

Reactions: headcard
It used to be bad-ass to puke...then it was bad...then good again...then bad...I guess it is good again!

Here is that great article:
https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/scott-frost-nebraska-football-cornhuskers-ucf-knights

The deal is- the kids are able to make some very large measureable gains using the process

Not only are the types of movements, sequences, rest periods and intensity a bit different than what our players are used to- Duval and his staff from the interview seemed to be able to thread that very difficult needle of pushing the kids VERY hard while knowing when to back off. They seem to be able to create a very supportive and connected environment where the kids know they are cared for WITHOUT babying them or not holding them accountable. Its a razors edge most struggle/fail at. It's a pixie dust kinda thing that is hard to explain or even teach IMO.

Reactions: headcard
I just read an interview with one of the UCF players - he said it does not matter how good of shape you are in - the workouts will hit you hard. Alot of core building and "burst" work. And that will result in some players chucking cookies. I guess there is a trash can sprint in particular that was HATED/LOVED by the UCF team. He admitted he puked - even weeks into the winter program. BUT - once you get used to it the speed at practice and games fit together. Sounds like he was not bought in until he saw how it impacted games. And the HUGE improvements he made in testing.

Chip Kelly is big on unconventional training - sounds like Frost has taken that experience and Husker Power to make some thing new. LOVE IT!!
I wonder how many "weak" players will will lose due to not being able to handle this tougher work out

The article made it sound like they're going back to what a lot of what worked for NU when they were a leader in S&C. Being able to squat a Smart Car is great, but can you impose your will in the 4th quarter when it's 3rd and 2 and they know you're gonna run at them?

Unless they're going to release numbers that compare last year's test results to this year's, all the quotes in the world about winter conditioning, spring ball and fall camp add up to a huge pile of nothing. "Best shape ever, that guy and this guy are beasts, we're really close, it's a brotherhood, blah blah blah."

There's nothing magical about puking, plenty of garbage football teams will be barfing in trash cans this January. I never played a down in an actual game, I could make kids run and lift til they hurl. I'm more interested in how they're able to translate it to the field. If it brings along a mentality that is much nastier than the one they had last year, Godspeed.

Wow. Hard to believe a Husker team is that out of shape. As an old coach of mine used to say...
"You boys are soft and flat like a bad tire! I'll pump you up good, but you're gonna hate me before were through!"
Good times.
I think that a little too much is being made of these guys being "out of shape" coming into winter conditioning. Most years, these guys go into winter conditioning just a week or two out from playing in a bowl game. Even then, they are probably doing some puking during winter conditioning. Due to the crappy season, these guys have basically been off since Thanksgiving with no strength coach. Of course they are going to be out of shape. Were these guys in the best of shape during the season? Probably not where they should be, at least the Oline IMO. Frost even told them to go home for Xmas, take it easy and come back ready to work. We all have heard that there were some dedication issues with players, so I am sure that there are quite a few who went home and did nothing. There are stories every year about guys puking, passing out, etc. Not sure this year will be different. The biggest difference is the number of guys actually taking advantage of the winter conditioning and working as hard as the strength coaches want them to work.

I think that a little too much is being made of these guys being "out of shape" coming into winter conditioning. Most years, these guys go into winter conditioning just a week or two out from playing in a bowl game. Even then, they are probably doing some puking during winter conditioning. Due to the crappy season, these guys have basically been off since Thanksgiving with no strength coach. Of course they are going to be out of shape. Were these guys in the best of shape during the season? Probably not where they should be, at least the Oline IMO. Frost even told them to go home for Xmas, take it easy and come back ready to work. We all have heard that there were some dedication issues with players, so I am sure that there are quite a few who went home and did nothing. There are stories every year about guys puking, passing out, etc. Not sure this year will be different. The biggest difference is the number of guys actually taking advantage of the winter conditioning and working as hard as the strength coaches want them to work.
I kinda assumed that the conditioning program standards under Osborne would be pretty similar to Frost's... if not more intense under Frost. You make great points, Kaz.

I have seen where a few former players have commented on the poor conditioning, easy practices. Which they have witnessed first hand while at practices. So if these guys were out of shape during the season. Now haven't done much for 2 months. I am guessing they are getting hit pretty hard right about now.

Reactions: davecisar
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT