ADVERTISEMENT

WHEN we get in . . .

8th Street

Walk On
Dec 1, 2009
Ha - got you there, didn't I?

Seriously, we would be a 11-12 seed, playing a 5-6 seed.

A winnable game . . .

Will be interesting to see if they get the play-in game or a seed in the top 64.

Will be interesting to see if they get the play-in game or a seed in the top 64.

At this point, I'll be happy just to hear Nebraska's name drawn. If it means a trip to Dayton, so be it. I might even road trip that one.

I just listened to Bruce Rasmussen being interviewed on 1620. I have met him a few times, and he seems to be a man of high integrity. He has stated in other interviews that he will act more as a facilitator in this process, but I believe him that they will carefully consider all the factors and criteria. He has said numerous times that all Quad 1 wins are not equal, and other things to indicate this will be a thorough discussion. At this point, that is all Nebraska fans can ask for. Now the team just needs to give them more positive things to consider, starting Friday.

Again, if you believe the brackets here's the games to be watching in the next few days. Need to root for the teams in bold, and for these teams to go 1 and done in their conference tournament.

Saturday Texas vs West Virginia (Texas lost last night to KU)
Thursday Louisville vs Virginia
Saturday Louisville at NC State
Today Baylor vs Oklahoma
Saturday Baylor vs Kansas State (we have to pick one to win so root for KSU as they are in more brackets than Baylor)
Saturday, UCLA at USC.
Wednesday Syracuse at BC
Saturday Syracuse vs Clemson
Thursday Washington vs Oregon State
Saturday Washington vs Oregon (come on Dana)
Today Mississippi State vs Tennessee
Saturday Mississippi State vs LSU
Today Boise State at San Diego State
Saturday Boise State vs Wyoming
Saturday Marquette vs Creighton (Marquette won in OT vs Georgetown last night:mad:)
Tomorrow Temple at UCONN
Sunday Temple at Tulsa

http://www.bracketwag.com/

Again, if you believe the brackets here's the games to be watching in the next few days. Need to root for the teams in bold, and for these teams to go 1 and done in their conference tournament.
I think you would also want to see Colorado win at Utah Saturday (Buffs aren't getting in, while Utah still has an outside shot).

Providence losing to Xavier won't knock them out, but if they lose to both Xavier and St. John's it could get dicey for them.

Would also be nice to see Arizona State's headfirst plunge continue when they host Cal and Stanford this week. But they're unlikely to lose to Cal, as the Bears are terrible.

at the very least.....SCHEDULE UP NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Dump the bad schools...play WSU, SMU, TCU, Colorado, etc...

I think you would also want to see Colorado win at Utah Saturday (Buffs aren't getting in, while Utah still has an outside shot).

Providence losing to Xavier won't knock them out, but if they lose to both Xavier and St. John's it could get dicey for them.

Would also be nice to see Arizona State's headfirst plunge continue when they host Cal and Stanford this week. But they're unlikely to lose to Cal, as the Bears are terrible.

I kind of gave up on the thought of Providence not making the dance. With wins over Xavier and Villanova to hang their hats on right now, plus a win at Marquette who is currently sitting at # 62 RPI (Quad 1 win). As long as they stay out of the 7-10 spots in their conference, they will be a hand full for whoever they face in the quarters. As far as the Big East goes, I think the best we can hope for is they don't get that seventh bid for Marquette (Nova, Xavier, CU, Butler, Seton Hall, Providence). Really need Creighton to get that win, and then for Marquette to go 1 and done in their Conference Tourney.

I think barring a complete collapse, Arizona State is pretty safely in. I'd love to see them lose those two but I'm not betting on it.

We have every opportunity to play ourselves in later this week - we have had opportunities throughout the year to prove that the Michigan win wasn't an aberration and failed. Time to show the committee we can beat an NCAA tourney team(s) away from home and belong on the bracket come Sunday.

If we would get the play in game, and win, do we count that as our first NCAA tournament win? I feel it has to be in the actual field of 64.

If we would get the play in game, and win, do we count that as our first NCAA tournament win? I feel it has to be in the actual field of 64.
At this point, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT COUNTS!

Winning nine of your last ten is not failing. Can we stop that crap? Up until and possibly including last season going 9-1 over last ten and having our record would have been a no brain bid. Husker fans get behind the team instead of making excuses why we might not get in!

at the very least.....SCHEDULE UP NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Dump the bad schools...play WSU, SMU, TCU, Colorado, etc...

It's not just the Huskers schedule, but it seems to make a difference of what the other conference teams do in the non-conference schedule. I was unsure of all this quadrant talk, so I looked at the definitions. Apparently, it is based on RPI (where a team falls in the RPI, using home, away, and neutral site games). What is screwy is that RPI seems to be double counted (straight RPI and then factored into the "quadrant"). It is almost as if a team's RPI is cemented the November and December non-conference games - and once you start conference play it is very hard to move up or down.

An example is Oklahoma (and several other Big 12 teams) got some wins in non-conference, but have stunk it up in conference play. Same with Arizona State. I think they beat Kansas and sit at 19-9, but are only 7-9 in their conference (9th place).

The Huskers, and many of the B1G teams, did not fare well in non-conference play early in the year. So the RPIs are down, with little chance of improving. That is where the "eye test" seems to make sense. In almost every scenario, most people would think a 22-9 (13-5) Husker team is more deserving than an Oklahoma at 17-11 (7-9), or Baylor at 17-12 (7-9), or Texass 17-13 (7-10), or Arizona State. The only scenario where it doesn't make sense is strictly using the RPI.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I

In almost every scenario, most people would think a 22-9 (13-5) Husker team is more deserving than an Oklahoma at 17-11 (7-9), or Baylor at 17-12 (7-9), or Texass 17-13 (7-10), or Arizona State. The only scenario where it doesn't make sense is strictly using the RPI.

the RPI and the vast majority of these other 59 ranking systems where all 4 of those teams are ranked ahead of Neb. We still have some work to do.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Play in game win shouldn’t count as the first program win in the NCAA tournament.

It will because it is the NCAA 68 team tournment that is why they call it the 1st round..

You may not like it but tell the University of Nebraska that it isn't a win in the tournment.

It's not just the Huskers schedule, but it seems to make a difference of what the other conference teams do in the non-conference schedule. I was unsure of all this quadrant talk, so I looked at the definitions. Apparently, it is based on RPI (where a team falls in the RPI, using home, away, and neutral site games). What is screwy is that RPI seems to be double counted (straight RPI and then factored into the "quadrant"). It is almost as if a team's RPI is cemented the November and December non-conference games - and once you start conference play it is very hard to move up or down.

An example is Oklahoma (and several other Big 12 teams) got some wins in non-conference, but have stunk it up in conference play. Same with Arizona State. I think they beat Kansas and sit at 19-9, but are only 7-9 in their conference (9th place).

The Huskers, and many of the B1G teams, did not fare well in non-conference play early in the year. So the RPIs are down, with little chance of improving. That is where the "eye test" seems to make sense. In almost every scenario, most people would think a 22-9 (13-5) Husker team is more deserving than an Oklahoma at 17-11 (7-9), or Baylor at 17-12 (7-9), or Texass 17-13 (7-10), or Arizona State. The only scenario where it doesn't make sense is strictly using the RPI.

It really has little to do with the success of a team after November or December. It has more to do with the success of your opponents and your opponent’s opponents after you’ve played them. I gave you the league record of the bottom 5 teams in the B1G this year as compared to last. The bottom of the league won less league games. For Nebraska that hurt because they didn’t get to play as many games against the top of the league.

If a team is 19-9 and 7-9 in the league that means they are 12-0 outside the league, but if those 12 wins were against 5-25 teams their RPI would suffer.

It really has little to do with the success of a team after November or December. It has more to do with the success of your opponents and your opponent’s opponents after you’ve played them. I gave you the league record of the bottom 5 teams in the B1G this year as compared to last. The bottom of the league won less league games. For Nebraska that hurt because they didn’t get to play as many games against the top of the league.

If a team is 19-9 and 7-9 in the league that means they are 12-0 outside the league, but if those 12 wins were against 5-25 teams their RPI would suffer.

I don't profess to know all the mathematical stuff, but it just seems screwy to me. A team's early season, non-conference schedule has more to do with your NCAA standing than what they do in the conference schedule? It just seems to be penalizing in certain situations. A team - like Nebraska - who struggles early but plays very well for most of the season doesn't get the same bump as a team who pulls an upset early on but can't win a friggin' game in Jan/Feb (embellishment, I know)?

If the quadrant system was supposed to make it more equitable, it hasn't. Maybe I'm just trying to be too optimistic....

I'm trying to come up with a fun analogy, so here goes. Which "team" do you think did better?

Team A: Scores with one of the hottest chicks at the bar the first time he goes out in the semester, then can't do any better than picking up 3's and 4's the rest of the school year.

Team B: Gets to third base with the hottest chick in the bar at the start of the semester, but can't go all the way, but then picks up 7's and 8' the rest of the school year.

Reactions: 8th Street
The quadrant stuff isn’t necessarily part of the program or the equation. There are bonus points for wins against top teams and penalties for losses against the worst of the worst.

The difference in a win or a loss is somewhat minimal with regards to the calculation for a single game. It’s the cumulative of season that makes the difference.

The quadrant talk is mostly an analytical tool used as a way to quantify and categorize wins.

The examples you use aren’t at all correct. People who say that don’t understand the formula. The early season games do not count any more than the late season games. If Opponent A starts out 7-1 then loses a starter and ends up 11-19 at the end of the season all of their opponents are “scored” based on the 11-19 record. If opponent B starts out 0-5 and gets a player back and ends up 23-7 to end the season all of their opponents are “scored” on the 23-7 record. So it doesn’t matter when you played the team, at the end of the year you RPI is based on the end of year winning pct.

Oklahoma and Alabama have just looked awful the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure we would easily beat either team head-to-head right now. They are both under .500 in their conference and barely over .500 overall.

Yet they will still get in easily over us, based on a few good wins a long time ago.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
St Bonaventure should not get an at-large bid. That win against Rhode Island isn't looking that impressive after tonight. Their other biggest wins are Maryland by 2 and Syracuse in overtime. They have 4 bad losses that are worse than any of our losses (Niagara, Dayton, St Joe's, and Davidson).

Saturday Texas vs West Virginia (Texas lost last night to KU)
Thursday Louisville vs Virginia
Saturday Louisville at NC State
Today Baylor vs Oklahoma
Saturday Baylor vs Kansas State (we have to pick one to win so root for KSU as they are in more brackets than Baylor)
Saturday, UCLA at USC.
Wednesday Syracuse at BC
Saturday Syracuse vs Clemson
Thursday Washington vs Oregon State
Saturday Washington vs Oregon (come on Dana)
Today Mississippi State vs Tennessee
Saturday Mississippi State vs LSU
Today Boise State at San Diego State
Saturday Boise State vs Wyoming
Saturday Marquette vs Creighton (Marquette won in OT vs Georgetown last night:mad:)
Tomorrow Temple at UCONN
Sunday Temple at Tulsa

http://www.bracketwag.com/

Tennessee beat MSU:)
San Diego State beat BSU:)

Oklahoma lost to Baylor. o_O Eh. Probably too much to ask for that both don't make it now.

Tonight's agenda:
Wednesday Syracuse at BC

St Bonaventure should not get an at-large bid. That win against Rhode Island isn't looking that impressive after tonight. Their other biggest wins are Maryland by 2 and Syracuse in overtime. They have 4 bad losses that are worse than any of our losses (Niagara, Dayton, St Joe's, and Davidson).

One Cinderella Nightmare scenario. St. Joe's gets the A-10 bid, URI and St. Bonn get at large.

Oklahoma and Alabama have just looked awful the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure we would easily beat either team head-to-head right now. They are both under .500 in their conference and barely over .500 overall.

Yet they will still get in easily over us, based on a few good wins a long time ago.

Just keep hoping both keep losing.

One Cinderella Nightmare scenario. St. Joe's gets the A-10 bid, URI and St. Bonn get at large.

I just don't get the St. Bonaventure love from Lunardi. He has them getting a bye in the Big Dance? The A-10 is absolutely horrible this year (10th in Conference RPI, worse than the Missouri Valley Conference). We have the same number of conference wins in a better conference. Their only signature non-conference wins are a team we also beat (Maryland) and a Syracuse team that might not even make the tournament. They have 4 bad losses to mid-major teams.

Good ol' Joe Retardi, has an ass and mouth that are interchangeable. I love the fact that he has absolutely no say whatsoever in who is or is not selected for the tourney and what he says should be taken with a grain of salt! That is all!

You know what our luck is...Iowa will pull the upset on Michigan. Then not only would we have to beat a streaking Iowa team to keep another bad loss off our record, but we'd have to beat Michigan St. to put a second high quality win on it.

I just don't get the St. Bonaventure love from Lunardi. He has them getting a bye in the Big Dance? The A-10 is absolutely horrible this year (10th in Conference RPI, worse than the Missouri Valley Conference). We have the same number of conference wins in a better conference. Their only signature non-conference wins are a team we also beat (Maryland) and a Syracuse team that might not even make the tournament. They have 4 bad losses to mid-major teams.

Me neither.

Tennessee beat MSU:)
San Diego State beat BSU:)

Oklahoma lost to Baylor. o_O Eh. Probably too much to ask for that both don't make it now.

Tonight's agenda:
Wednesday Syracuse at BC

Busy last two days. Another good result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT