ADVERTISEMENT

Football What's next on the coaching search front?

Sean Callahan

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Lincoln, NE
huskeronline.com
Mickey Joseph was obviously announced Thursday as the first of Scott Frost's four hires. It played out just as we thought, only it took one or two extra days to sort through the Brian Kelly hire. I never once got the impression things were in trouble there.

So what's next? What about the OC?

This is what I know: Multiple candidates who NU will be talking to are coaching in games today. Your imagination can probably sort through the list of teams playing and figure out two or three logical names. There are also some really good names that just recently hit the market that could be in play. An example would be Virginia's Robert Anae, people you did not even know would be on the market a week ago. This process should not be rushed just to conduct a couple of more extra in-home visits for the 2022 class in December.

I know Donovan Raiola is on the radar as well. I talked to one source close to the Bears that has worked with Raiola, and he said "he is an outstanding football coach" and has one of the "best minds for the game he's ever been around." He called Raiola a "grinder" and said he should have honestly gotten the Stanford line coach job a year ago. With Raiola, my read is a lot of it will depend on how the staff is built. What if the OC for example is an offensive line coach? That's where things maybe get complicated there.

Special teams, I still feel like Virginia's Rickey Brumfield could end up being the guy. Obviously, Bill Busch is an option too.

So what if the OC is an offensive line guy? Who would be the final piece to the staff? I continue to hear Ron Brown's name as a possibility.

There's also been this perception that the search has been a mess. I think where things went wrong is somehow this picture got painted after the Iowa game a full staff would be announced by Monday or Tuesday. These things take time. The process has to play out. You don't interview assistant coaches during the regular season. Obviously, at the head coach level some of that plays out, but with assistants, you wait until the season/championships games are over before you conduct formal interviews. When have you ever seen an assistant announce he was leaving that is still coaching in the regular season under contract? Especially if it's a conference title game.

Today, the read I get is there's a fairly decent chance the entire staff will be announced by Tuesday or Wednesday of this upcoming week. I know people want it to move quicker, but the Mickey Joseph hire was actually one of the first P5 hires to be announced anywhere at the assistant level. When you are dealing with guys that have other jobs, there is obviously a process you have to follow. Just wanted to post this, as I know people are very curious about this coaching staff and what direction Frost is going with the OC spot.

Enjoy your championship Saturday.

Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.