ADVERTISEMENT

What I"m looking for on Thursday Night

c3o

Graduate Assistant
Apr 24, 2018
pretty simple -

Can we run the ball?

This will be the key to the season. Can we push around teams equal or lesser than us. If not, we struggle to break .500. Running game takes pressure off the defense as well as the passing game.

Here's to believing we'll have 200 yards on the ground. We do that, we walk out of that gopher mound a winner.

S&C and improved coaching has to come through. I have to see it. Yes, it's early but Rhule is on a short leash - in that, I"m not going to go making excuses. If I see dog shit, I"m not going to search for ways to excuse the dog shit.

Rhule is on a short leash before the first game even kicks off?

Yikes
Personally. What all of you do is up to you. If I see dog shit play and coaching, im not going to do mental gymnastics to explain it away to soothe my fandom.

Your leash can be as long as you want it to be, and I won’t argue it with you.

I just expect improvement if our last staff was as bad as we think they were.

I just hope we don’t have a repeat of the start to the Frost era. Highly anticipated big bunch of nothing.

Personally. What all of you do is up to you. If I see dog shit play and coaching, im not going to do mental gymnastics to explain it away to soothe my fandom.

Your leash can be as long as you want it to be, and I won’t argue it with you.

I just expect improvement if our last staff was as bad as we think they were.
New coach shouldn't have a short leash. Dude has been telling us year one can be rocky.

pretty simple -

Can we run the ball?

This will be the key to the season. Can we push around teams equal or lesser than us. If not, we struggle to break .500. Running game takes pressure off the defense as well as the passing game.

Here's to believing we'll have 200 yards on the ground. We do that, we walk out of that gopher mound a winner.

S&C and improved coaching has to come through. I have to see it. Yes, it's early but Rhule is on a short leash - in that, I"m not going to go making excuses. If I see dog shit, I"m not going to search for ways to excuse the dog shit.
I am hoping to see a significant decrease in unforced errors, improved kicking game and not folding when adversity hits. That alone could translate to 3-4 more wins this year. Get that down pat and the better things should follow.

🌽

New coach shouldn't have a short leash. Dude has been telling us year one can be rocky.
I think OP is saying Rhule doesn't get 5 years of excuses if he doesn't win. He needs to show improvement. I think it's a valid point. Bad division following a very bad coach. There should be legitimate improvement. We saw improvement with an interim HC and DC in the middle of the season last year.

pretty simple -

Can we run the ball?

Just as important -- the ability to stop the run game of the opponent

Yet lots and lots of people on here are predicting a victory on the road against a team we haven't beat in 4 years. I agree no new coach should be on a short leash at this point. I do agree that, win or lose, we are able to run the ball at least a little bit successfully. That would be an upgrade over the last couple of years. I think our defense will be our woes as this year plays out.

Reactions: Badger Pete
I think OP is saying Rhule doesn't get 5 years of excuses if he doesn't win. He needs to show improvement. I think it's a valid point. Bad division following a very bad coach. There should be legitimate improvement. We saw improvement with an interim HC and DC in the middle of the season last year.

Sure reads like he's not even giving him game one.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
I want physical football, limited mistakes/penalties and in-game adjustments and a team that is conditioned to play in the 4th quarter. All of these attributes are things we should be able to see game 1 with our new staff.

Coach Rhule is getting paid like a top 10 coach and as mentioned if we are going call the last staff garbage, then we should see noticeable improvement.

I think if the above items are there we will see a victory in Minny. If we lose and still have the above then I will still feel confident we are building something.

I think Rhule and team let the B1G West know that we are back to playing competitive football again with a W. GBR!!!

We should see improvement. I’ve yet to watch a team with a worse staff than our previous one. I’m not going to call for him to get fired. But if I see shit coaching, it’s on him. How many coaches and assistants have come here for paychecks rather than success?

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
You’re reading that. I’m just not going to make excuses.

And I am not important enough to do anything about it. I just won’t join the clown show showing support for another paycheck staff
You seem like an idiot. Take your "I'm not going to make excuses" dumbass comments and go root for somebody else then. People like you are just complainers of other people and probably haven't accomplished crap in your life.

• Wow
Reactions: SkerInCo
Stop the run and we have two good corners to keep up with their WRs. I think we will even see their backup QB get some PT running the ball. Make MN beat you. Fleck is like Kirk in they always lose if they lose the TO battle.

Reactions: BleedRed78 and c3o
No onside kicks in the third quarter after we have seized all the momentum and taken a two score lead.
Scott Frost:
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Stop the run and we have two good corners to keep up with their WRs. I think we will even see their backup QB get some PT running the ball. Make MN beat you. Fleck is like Kirk in they always lose if they lose the TO battle.
For some reason I’m not worried about the defense. And I believe it’s because I think it’s a low scoring affair. The entire schedule is full of bad offense. Maybe a couple teams boast a good one. Which is why I think if we can run the ball with success this year we should move towards the top of the west

Offense needs huge improvement, that will take care of a lot of problems. Last three games of 2022 there were not many penalties on either side of the ball, but the lack of offense was huge.

I hope after 6,000 reps of practice, we will see a better product on the field, and that goes for defense and special teams as well. We shall see.

I hope to see solid fundamentals. Tackle through the ball carrier. Finish the block. Hang on to the football. Been watching dogshit football since Mike Riley days and I am ready to not have to threaten to burn my husker gear by the 2nd quarter every game.

I'm looking for consistent improvement on the lines. B1G football comes down to run the ball and stop the run. Can we push people around? If we have improved in that then win or lose I'll be happy. If we still miss assignments and get our manhood ripped from us in the 4th quarter than I'll still have serious questions about the coaching staff.

No matter what anyone says toughness, conditioning, and intelligence (ie not beating yourself up) can and should be accomplished in year one. If this hasn't been done then I'll be disappointed.

Can we stop the run? Syracuse did a good job of it but Fleck hired their interim DC that worked with White so I don't think the 335 will be much of a surprise.

Can we stop the run? Syracuse did a good job of it but Fleck hired their interim DC that worked with White so I don't think the 335 will be much of a surprise.
Nebraska did for the most part last year. They slowly grinded us in the 2nd half though but that was with Mo who was a big body.

I am hoping to see a significant decrease in unforced errors, improved kicking game and not folding when adversity hits. That alone could translate to 3-4 more wins this year. Get that down pat and the better things should follow.

🌽
Playing like you just showed up to practice last week doesn't win a lot of games.

I want physical football, limited mistakes/penalties and in-game adjustments and a team that is conditioned to play in the 4th quarter. All of these attributes are things we should be able to see game 1 with our new staff.

Coach Rhule is getting paid like a top 10 coach and as mentioned if we are going call the last staff garbage, then we should see noticeable improvement.

I think if the above items are there we will see a victory in Minny. If we lose and still have the above then I will still feel confident we are building something.

I think Rhule and team let the B1G West know that we are back to playing competitive football again with a W. GBR!!!
This^
These guys get paid way too much to not have their team “relatively” ready, and by no means is the roster lacking experience as compared to what normal college programs would have. There’s more than enough “paper talent” to field a team that can compete.

There’s a difference between taking a loss and looking like you don’t have your team prepared.
Game 1’s can always be a little sloppy, but we can’t afford to see a hot mess.

I’m pumped to see what this team can accomplish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT