ADVERTISEMENT

What became of Mark Whipple

Scavenger

Walk On
Jul 23, 2002
Is he coaching anywhere? You have to wonder if he's frustrated that he left a solid gig at Pitt. With the decent buyout, at his age, maybe not. Maybe this was his swan song anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Is he coaching anywhere? You have to wonder if he's frustrated that he left a solid gig at Pitt. With the decent buyout, at his age, maybe not. Maybe this was his swan song anyway.
skim his wiki and you'll see he was fired from pretty much every job he held since the 2000's.

Kenny Pickett made him appear to be genius he never was.

He’s in late 60s and I think his wife had some health problems. He’s still getting paid by Nebraska
Figured he probably had a sweet enough buyout to not have to work for a while and maybe it's his time to hang it up. If he still has the passion for coaching though, he's probably feeling pretty peeved about leaving a good gig at Pitt. As for those who say he's been fired from everywhere he's been, haven't all coordinators? Kind of the life of a coordinator.

He and Narduzzi hated each other and so he was leaving Pitt irregardless

200w.gif

My guess would be retirement. He's got enough money from his career and the buyouts. He was leaving Pitt regardless of whether the Nebraska job came up or not.

Reactions: huskerfan66

Cannoli2927

He’s in late 60s and I think his wife had some health problems. He’s still getting paid by Nebraska

Figured he probably had a sweet enough buyout to not have to work for a while and maybe it's his time to hang it up. If he still has the passion for coaching though, he's probably feeling pretty peeved about leaving a good gig at Pitt. As for those who say he's been fired from everywhere he's been, haven't all coordinators? Kind of the life of a coordinator.
Lisa Simpson Treehouse GIF by The Simpsons

Took NU money and sippin margaritas on the beach. Can you blame him? NO. Did he suck? Probably.
Honestly Im 52. If I could live out my days doing just that. Hell yes I would. Don't blame the beggar. Blame the hand that feeds him. Shame on NU for setting these guys up for life.

Reactions: WHCSC
Honestly Im 52. If I could live out my days doing just that. Hell yes I would. Don't blame the beggar. Blame the hand that feeds him. Shame on NU for setting these guys up for life.

Said it before and I'll say it again...no program in the country pads more retirement accounts for football coaches (that had very few other options) than we do...we literally bid against ourselves and we do it really well.

Why do you keep saying he had a sweet gig at Pitt? His head coach took shots at him out the door...doesn't sound so sweet.

Why do you keep saying he had a sweet gig at Pitt? His head coach took shots at him out the door...doesn't sound so sweet.
Those were sour grapes shots. You know, like chastising him for passing the ball against Wake Forest as some excuse to why things will be great now. Well, they beat Wake by like 24 points and those passing plays worked, so that criticism really fell flat. Narduzzi seems like a brat quite honestly. Always complaining about something that has happened to him and quick to criticize everyone but himself. It's not like this board didn't say the same about that situation 20 months ago.

Said it before and I'll say it again...no program in the country pads more retirement accounts for football coaches (that had very few other options) than we do...we literally bid against ourselves and we do it really well.
Well I guess we are good at something. As a coach it's just shocking to me how bad some of these guys were. I don't care if you know all the verbage, talk as if you are a mastermind of x's and o's, dress like John Gruden. Doesn't matter. What I have found through 30 years of it. Coaching...actual working with players and then managing situations in games....It's almost everything. And we have had schlepps doing this over the last decade. Sad

Reactions: huntered
Well I guess we are good at something. As a coach it's just shocking to me how bad some of these guys were. I don't care if you know all the verbage, talk as if you are a mastermind of x's and o's, dress like John Gruden. Doesn't matter. What I have found through 30 years of it. Coaching...actual working with players and then managing situations in games....It's almost everything. And we have had schlepps doing this over the last decade. Sad
The game, in my opinion, especially calling offense, is the hardest part of coaching in any sport.

It is shocking just how fast that play clock goes when you are the one calling plays. I hated it, I hated every game where I called offense (except for blowouts, then I am the best play caller in the world).

Calling defense, I can do that all day long. That makes sense to me.

happens in all professions/jobs.

The game, in my opinion, especially calling offense, is the hardest part of coaching in any sport.

It is shocking just how fast that play clock goes when you are the one calling plays. I hated it, I hated every game where I called offense (except for blowouts, then I am the best play caller in the world).

That's what I do and I agree offense can be challenging. What I have found as a DC though is that Offensive guys are their own worst enemies. I can't believe how many times OC's have gone away from what's working because they convince themselves that somehow in the middle of a series when they are kicking our ass, that we will somehow figure out how to stop it.

That's what I do and I agree offense can be challenging. What I have found as a DC though is that Offensive guys are their own worst enemies. I can't believe how many times OC's have gone away from what's working because they convince themselves that somehow in the middle of a series when they are kicking our ass, that we will somehow figure out how to stop it.
For sure!!!

For me, my problem was I tensed up. I got as conservative as a play caller could possibly get. Now, JV and Freshmen games, I was the best play caller because I didn't "care". I was so loose!

I think calling defense is harder than offense unless you just sit in a generic base defense. I was the worst blitz package defensive coordinator in all of 8 man football.

I think calling defense is harder than offense unless you just sit in a generic base defense. I was the worst blitz package defensive coordinator in all of 8 man football.
Oh my god, blitz packages are insane. They look AMAZING on paper though!

I coached 6-2, 4-4 and then 3-5-3.

Once I went to the 3-5-3, blitzing was cake

8 man is different though, you dudes blitz all the time! Every 3rd play is either a huge stop for a loss or a 70 yard TD run! HA!

And those 6 man games, good lord!

Reactions: cavalot

8 man is different though, you dudes blitz all the time! Every 3rd play is either a huge stop for a loss or a 70 yard TD run! HA!

4-2-5 Base. Hybrid into 3-4. This year been using a lot of 4-4. All the same principals. Just getting our best guys on the field. Finding that I really Like the 3-4 with all of the new formations and motions that we are facing in HS. Just hard to quit the 40 front. The balance front are just so much easier for dealing with the motions, shifts and over formations. .

yep, running back screen game got me several times.

Ku klux kunt's son will find out soon enough.

I have a question for all you coaches. When I watch quarterback play and I get the feeling the quarterback does not see and or read the defense, I would think it makes the offensive coordinator job a living nightmare? I don't watch a lot of games other than Nebraska. I did watch some of Burrows and the quarterback for Frost in Florida. I feel if the quarterback sees the defense and knows what he is doing, he can keep the defense on its heels. Tell me what you think. Thanks

I have a question for all you coaches. When I watch quarterback play and I get the feeling the quarterback does not see and or read the defense, I would think it makes the offensive coordinator job a living nightmare? I don't watch a lot of games other than Nebraska. I did watch some of Burrows and the quarterback for Frost in Florida. I feel if the quarterback sees the defense and knows what he is doing, he can keep the defense on its heels. Tell me what you think. Thanks

If the defense doing what you assumed they would do when you came out in that formation. If yes, you are golden (Just like Ponyboy)

After that...who knows! ha! I hate coaching offense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT