ADVERTISEMENT

What a disappointing basketball season

Originally posted by BetterRed:

Work on those free throws over the Summer, too.
Free throws and Petteway has to work on his shooting. The good news is that I think we have some guys available next year that can put the ball in the hole. Rivers gave us everything he had but man he was a marginal scholarship guy. What was he? 1/6 from the line? I thought his freshman year that he was a complete waste of a scholarship but Miles got more out of him than I could have ever imagined. Petteway really struggled from the field once again.

Finish the season losing 10 of 11, with all but 2 of those losses coming by 10+ points. Doesn't get much more dismal than that.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
Petteway goes 5 for 22 from the field. He has been brutal during our losing streak.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yep. Tough year for Petteway and Pitchford both. I think Petteway looked like he's been playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Its not over! All they have to do is run the B1G tourney and then a 15 seed here we come.

Huskers were 23-37 at the line. Rivers was brutal down the stretch going 1-6. Petteway was Petteway with his horrible shooting. But this team last won on Feb 3. That's been over a month. And one win since January 27th. Now we get a Wednesday game. Lovely.

I give it about a 10 percent chance Pettaway is back. Just a gut feeling. Guy will be 24 years old

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
I give it about a 10 percent chance Pettaway is back. Just a gut feeling. Guy will be 24 years old

Didn't know he was that old. I realize he had the transfer year. But he had such a bad season wouldn't you think he'd need to come back? I'm just rhetorically asking, If he wants to play more basketball, where's he going to go? Right now, I'm not sure he's good enough for the NBA D-League.

He graduates in May and he he sticks around one more year, he will be 24. My guess is he will go overseas to play because he's had to drop a bunch in the NBA a draft. Still has hard time controlling his emotions on the court.

I don't think it matters. Overseas teams pay plenty.
I wonder if he will want to hang in the states because of his mom's treatment though. Either way, the kid obviously had a lot on his plate this year.

We still have the Big Ten tourney. Who knows...we could catch lightening in a bottle.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
We still have the Big Ten tourney. Who knows...we could catch lightening in a bottle.
We would just end up turning it over ....Still have UNO hockey

It will be a good time for Miles to do some evaluation of not only of the team but himself. I think he needs to become more of a players' coach. It's obvious they didn't respond to his moves throughout the season.

There's no stop to that. To act like his style this season motivated the players is ridiculous. If he can't reevaluate what happened than something is seriously wrong. You don't go on the losing streak we had...most of those losses by double digits...and say, "Miles doesn't need to evaluate his role as a coach."

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
I think he needs to become more of a players' coach

Just stop
Do you think he actually believes what he types or just more of the usual trolling?

After last year we were all looking forward to not having a black hole between the bowl game and fall camp due to being excited about BB and baseball. The jury is still out on baseball and we have been entertained by the new football developments, but yes, BB was disappointing. I sure hope things get a lot better next season.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
I think he needs to become more of a players' coach

Just stop
Not interested in more of the same next year. Maybe you are ok with it but I'm not. Evaluation of oneself is a good thing.

Nothing you just responded with counters your ignorant comment about Miles not being a players coach. You want to keep posting just to get reaction from people, cool, I'll play you bullshit game all day long and twice on Sunday.

You've said a lot of stupid shit lately but this one takes the cake.

Do you think he actually believes what he types or just more of the usual trolling?

One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what he's doing.

I'm thinking you don't have a clue what a players' coach really is.

I like how the lying, trolling preacher thinks he knows what Miles is all about by peering through a TV to watch an occasional game from a couple states away. Good stuff here from the clown who hasn't seen Lincoln since the IBA days.

I like how the lying, trolling preacher thinks he knows what Miles is all about by peering through a TV to watch an occasional game from a couple states away. Good stuff here from the clown who hasn't seen Lincoln since the IBA days.
Miles has proven to be a great coach at a number of stops. However, he should take at least a little of the blame here. As we all know making adjustments is key not only from game to game but season to season. He wasn't able to motivate this team. They should have been far better than the record indicates. A players' coach might not always work out, but those teams usually don't implode over a course of a whole season.

Miles is a good coach. I have no doubt this self-evaluation will happen.

We have some new blood and talent coming in next year so I think Miles can get this going again next year. At least I hope so.

All that said ... I think we also need to acknowledge that it is very hard to win consistently in college hoops unless you cheat. Look at Syracuse and North Carolina right now. Do we think those two "elite" basketball schools are an aberration? Was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and one of the talking head commentators on the call in show said that everybody knew back in the day that John Wooden cheated his ass off at UCLA.

The NCAA plays favorites and is a corrupt organization. In football they let the SEC and the USC's get away with all kinds of cheating. They favor the glamor schools that rake in the cash and the publicity. And basketball is even worse.

My point ... we have to give Miles time to build this thing. We are one of the worst basketball programs in the history of D-1 sports. And a lot of cheating is going on out there that the NCAA ignores. So if Miles wants to do this right (and I am certain he does) we have to give him a lot of time.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:
ESPN2. That's going to be an ugly game. For both teams.
Thanks. I don't think BTN.com likes listing the network when it's not televised through them.

I think he needs new players. 12 of them. Starting a bunch of freshmen seems to work for duke.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:
We have some new blood and talent coming in next year so I think Miles can get this going again next year. At least I hope so.

All that said ... I think we also need to acknowledge that it is very hard to win consistently in college hoops unless you cheat. Look at Syracuse and North Carolina right now. Do we think those two "elite" basketball schools are an aberration? Was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and one of the talking head commentators on the call in show said that everybody knew back in the day that John Wooden cheated his ass off at UCLA.

My point ... we have to give Miles time to build this thing. We are one of the worst basketball programs in the history of D-1 sports. And a lot of cheating is going on out there that the NCAA ignores. So if Miles wants to do this right (and I am certain he does) we have to give him a lot of time.

After the build up I thought that you were going to say that we need to give Miles time to hone his cheating skills, which would be fine with me!

Originally posted by NUSouth:
I think he needs new players. 12 of them. Starting a bunch of freshmen seems to work for duke.
No. He needs Hammond and Smith to get stronger and better during the off season. He needs Webster to make and shoot shoot several thousand shots this summer. He needs White to be the shooter most think he can be. Pitchford needs to exorcise his demons and get his ass in better shape. He needs a couple of the new kids coming in to be ready to play and I think they will be. It appears we are getting immediate scoring help at point and in the paint. I expect us to be a much improved offensive team next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT