ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome aboard Mr. Torres

Not that stars are everything but any idea why he's rated only a 5.5 and didn't have more offers? He seems to have the physical dimensions for QB and I thought he was supposed to be a good passer.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Not that stars are everything but any idea why he's rated only a 5.5 and didn't have more offers? He seems to have the physical dimensions for QB and I thought he was supposed to be a good passer.

While we are stock piling 3 star recruits…I’m less concerned about his recruiting ranking and more concerned about the fact that we are still trusting Verduzco to offer QB’s.

Welcome aboard!

He seems to be a completely different type of QB than we've seen Frost recruit here before. Obviously it's way too early to know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, just simply an observation I made...

Verduzco apparently has shown interest in JJ Kohl from Ankeny Io. 2023 QB prospect and is also 6-6, who’s team won the 7 on 7 tournament in Lincoln this weekend beating unbeaten Creighton Prep team..

He has offers from Iowa St, Ioway and Wisconsin, LSU, AtM and Georgia..

Big arm. Tall & lengthy. No great acceleration but decent top-end speed. When I watch this kid's hudl film I can't help but think of Steven Montez from Colorado. I can't decide if that's a good thing or not .
based on his record against teams not coached by Frost, I'd say not a good thing

JMO

GBR - i see some momentum building on the recruiting front!
"
Out of the San Antonio area, the 6-6, 210-pound Torres is quick on his feet, but also has impressed at various camps with his ability to put some zip on his passes even in tough conditions.

In the spring, 247Sports offered this analysis, "Richard Torres showed one of the biggest arms at the camp. Torres and (No. 1 overall five-star Quinn) Ewers were the only quarterbacks who beat a stiff wind on multiple downfield shots. Torres is raw but big-framed and athletic, with a background in basketball as well, and his upside makes him particularly intriguing."

Torres, No. 59 among 2022 quarterbacks on the 247Sports Composite, also ran a 4.50-second shuttle time at the Dallas regional. While there is development still needed, he has a lot of tools that make him an intriguing add to a room that right now has three scholarship QBs: junior Adrian Martinez, freshmen Logan Smothers and Heinrich Haarberg."

Welcome aboard!

He seems to be a completely different type of QB than we've seen Frost recruit here before. Obviously it's way too early to know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, just simply an observation I made...

Seems very similar to Haarberg.

Zane Flores
"
Out of the San Antonio area, the 6-6, 210-pound Torres is quick on his feet, but also has impressed at various camps with his ability to put some zip on his passes even in tough conditions.

In the spring, 247Sports offered this analysis, "Richard Torres showed one of the biggest arms at the camp. Torres and (No. 1 overall five-star Quinn) Ewers were the only quarterbacks who beat a stiff wind on multiple downfield shots. Torres is raw but big-framed and athletic, with a background in basketball as well, and his upside makes him particularly intriguing."

Torres, No. 59 among 2022 quarterbacks on the 247Sports Composite, also ran a 4.50-second shuttle time at the Dallas regional. While there is development still needed, he has a lot of tools that make him an intriguing add to a room that right now has three scholarship QBs: junior Adrian Martinez, freshmen Logan Smothers and Heinrich Haarberg."
Well, maybe Frost and Verduzco figured it out that they need a QB with enough arm strength to be able to pass in windy conditions at Nebraska. But of course him being a quick thinker and an accurate passer is critical. Don't know how he is on those two criteria.

Seems very similar to Haarberg.
Haarberg appears to be much more athletic, whereas Torres seems to fit the mold of a traditional pro style / pocket passer QB.

Our coaches seem to have pivoted pretty significantly in the types of players they are now recruiting - originally it was all about speed and now it's heavily centered around size.

What this team desperately needs is an elite level running back.

I dunno. Montez seemed pretty solid against us. He was drafted by the Football Team.
hence my post. he was good against us & rivaled AM in the W/L department everywhere else.

he also wasn't drafted, he signed as an UDFA & spent last year on the practice squad in washington, the team with probably the worst QB situation in all of pro football.

as I said many times prior to him beating us twice, Montez sucks.

5.5 is a low 3*... what sort of offer list were you expecting?
Well he's apparently had decent performances at a few camps. That usually outweighs whatever recruiting service previously thought. It's a myth that most big time schools only rely on the evaluation of recruiting services. Usually it's the other way around. Recruiting services often adjust their ratings based on how many offers and from whom.

I think the 5.5 might reflect him being more an unknown to the recruiting services.

MinorKeenAzurewingedmagpie-max-1mb.gif

Big arm. Tall & lengthy. No great acceleration but decent top-end speed. When I watch this kid's hudl film I can't help but think of Steven Montez from Colorado. I can't decide if that's a good thing or not .
Montez beat us twice.

Montez beat us twice.
we accounted for 10% of his career wins in his 4 years as a starter at CU

he won exactly 5 games every season & never played in a bowl

pretty sure we already have a guy exactly like him under center

I think the positive here is that Frost has demonstrated a willingness to alter his QB strategy (ie., recruiting a different type of QB than say McCaffrey was). The old strategy wasn't working. But yes it remains to be seen if the new strategy works but at least he is trying something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT