ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome aboard Mr. Torres

Well I personally don't care much about it BUT it matters a whole lot to recruitniks who always care about the team's overall final recruiting year ranking. I know those rankings don't mean a whole lot these days due to all the eventual transfers but it's still pretty important to some people.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Jay Moore has been less than complimentary of our offensive staff. He's in a "show me" frame of mind. I don't think he's capable of giving a good assessment of a QB recruit. This kid has the size, arm and mobility you want in a starting QB. We have no way of knowing if he has the mental traits one needs but I think he fits the mold.
So, help me here, Jay isn't capable but you are?

If a kid is already committed, why should we care if a keyboard talent scout changes his rating from a 5.5 to a 5.7? If a kid shows noticeable improvement, that's the only thing that matters.
It's just an affirmation of what people saw at camps over the summer. It seems that a fair number of people get their tits in the wringer over us offering a kid with a 5.5 ranking and no offer from Alabama. SOME posters for some reason value an internet analyst's opinion over a P5 coaching staff's.🤔 It's at least nice to see a rating bump and more offers come in on a somewhat under the radar guy your coach offered. IMO, due to COVID we're going to see a TON of kids fly under the radar this year and a bunch of lower tier programs end up with some really good talent.

4.5 shuttle, 5.2 40 yard dash
OOPS. Are you sure about that 40 time though. That wouldn't seem to fit with his shuttle time. IF your numbers are correct the book says that he has short distance acceleration and his change of direction is FAR better than his 40 yard dash time. Normally the rule of thumb is if you run a 5.2 40 you would expect him to have a 4.8 shuttle time.

OOPS. Are you sure about that 40 time though. That wouldn't seem to fit with his shuttle time. IF your numbers are correct the book says that he has short distance acceleration and his change of direction is FAR better than his 40 yard dash time. Normally the rule of thumb is if you run a 5.2 40 you would expect him to have a 4.8 shuttle time.
I used to watch a tall kid run the 400 at my kid’s track meets. First 200 was meh, but when that strides kicked in, he was lights out. Sub 50 second guy.

Give me an accurate passer over cannon arm any day. Milton was a perfect example of that. If you have the arm strength to throw a 15 yard out pattern from the opposite side of the field that would be enough for me. I could care less about the 80 yard bombs. A 15 yard out pattern is a long freaking throw too.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I used to watch a tall kid run the 400 at my kid’s track meets. First 200 was meh, but when that strides kicked in, he was lights out. Sub 50 second guy.
A 400 race is a whole different animal than dodging a blitzing linebacker. My point is that he must possess some short distance quickness and not be very fast over longer distances given his shuttle time. I think it's kind of an excercise in futility for us to judge him right now though. Put a kid with his frame in the S&C program and he's going to improve both his quickness and 40 time.

Reactions: WHCSC
A 400 race is a whole different animal than dodging a blitzing linebacker. My point is that he must possess some short distance quickness and not be very fast over longer distances given his shuttle time. I think it's kind of an excercise in futility for us to judge him right now though. Put a kid with his frame in the S&C program and he's going to improve both his quickness and 40 time.
OR, and hear me out, as I know this is a foreign concept:

block for him?

Give me an accurate passer over cannon arm any day. Milton was a perfect example of that. If you have the arm strength to throw a 15 yard out pattern from the opposite side of the field that would be enough for me. I could care less about the 80 yard bombs. A 15 yard out pattern is a long freaking throw too.

This offenses 1st read on virtually every pass play, whether you love it or hate it, is the vertical route.

Just look at how ineffective and punchless Nebraska has been when the receiver spot hit an all time rock bottom spot from a talent aspect in 2020.

I think it's pretty clear the team is wanting dangle a carrot in front of some future receiver recruits. "Come to Nebraska and we will give you the chance to catch 60 yard go routes." This is why they are targeting dudes like Haarberg and Torres.

There is a narrative in place which suggests Frost's offense can't work vs. BIG Ten defenses. My counter to that argument has been the same all along:

When Kade Warner has been your #2 or #3 receiver for the last 32 games, you don't give your offense a chance to beat Big Ten defenses.

This offenses 1st read on virtually every pass play, whether you love it or hate it, is the vertical route.

Just look at how ineffective and punchless Nebraska has been when the receiver spot hit an all time rock bottom spot from a talent aspect in 2020.

I think it's pretty clear the team is wanting dangle a carrot in front of some future receiver recruits. "Come to Nebraska and we will give you the chance to catch 60 yard go routes." This is why they are targeting dudes like Haarberg and Torres.

There is a narrative in place which suggests Frost's offense can't work vs. BIG Ten defenses. My counter to that argument has been the same all along:

When Kade Warner has been your #2 or #3 receiver for the last 32 games, you don't give your offense a chance to beat Big Ten defenses.
Yep.

At the college level I agree 100%. It's more about whether you can make the right read and be accurate & on-time than whether you can rocket an absolute rope of a ball on a deep out. It's Joey Ganz vs Sam Keller, gamer vs. golden arm.

I'm a broken record on this, but I watched the Bears make that mistake with Trubisky, dude is a big, impressive athlete who can launch it. Trouble is he doesn't see it well and he's erratic. Long story short he's no longer a starting QB and he never should have been. See also, McCaffrey, Luke. I never liked his passing film coming out of HS, he looked like an athlete playing QB.

That's why the new Bears QB, Justin Fields, was such a killer at OSU. Kid could place it like crazy, including deep, and he made smart throws. I don't watch Fields and go, "Jesus, this kid is gonna break a lot of fingers in practice" but he throws a gorgeous ball and he has enough velocity, and plays smart.

Torres looks like he's pretty accurate including on the move, but he also has some bad habits that need to get cleaned up, including a tendency to be very late on throws and to never give up on a play. He gets away with it in HS because he can let a WR leak behind the defense and chuck it over everyone's head. You saw that exact same tendency to press every play from Luke last year and you saw where it led...turnovers.

Torres needs to put together some very different senior year film before he looks like a dude who could come in and win a job as a freshman. I don't like him as a runner really at all, he doesn't look sudden or elusive and he takes awkward hits. He gets tackled the way a TE does where every time you go "I hope he didn't just blow a knee."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT