ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday: Nebraska vs. Michigan State (Huskers lose 5-1)

This game reminds me of the team that played Michigan earlier this year. Terrible at bats. Pitching that allows free passes. Booting the ball on simple plays. Just terrible and uninspired baseball all around as a team.

Bottom 9th

One out walk for Miller. Fish fouls out to 1st. WP advances Miller to 2nd. Finally a pitching change for MSU. He tore us a new hole today so I'm glad to finally see him gone. Altavilla in to pinch hit for Wilkening and K's to end the game.

Time to win them all through the losers bracket!!! Not all is lost my friends.

Man, what a bummer. I know baseball is a funny game and I'm sure the team was mentally engaged for this one, but three hits is really disappointing.

Man, what a bummer. I know baseball is a funny game and I'm sure the team was mentally engaged for this one, but three hits is really disappointing.

If we were mentally engaged then it didn't appear that way. It's post-season conference tourney play and you cannot take a day off mentally.

I don't have the fortitude right now to add it all up, but Boldt has been on quite a slide offensively for a while now. I feel like he's only had a handful of hits the last month or so.

I admit it's really hard to tell what a team is doing mentally, but it seems like they came in and just expected the success to continue. This is what happens every time an Erstad coached team experiences some success-they seem to feel like they've made it and they let up as if they don't need to play hard anymore.

Reactions: SevoHusker
Well, we were making spectacular plays in the field early in the game. The collapse came after Burkamper's throwing error on the bunt. That totally should have been Placzek's play, Derek was trying to do too much. Even if he just eats the ball and concedes the bunt single, we are in prettier shape.

He should have been pulled if not then, definitely after the ensuing 4-pitch walk. It was eerily similar to our collapse in the 7th or 8th inning in last year's elimination game against Michigan State when Ben Miller walked the bases loaded and then was left in to give up a grand slam to Krill (?). Went from a 7-5 lead to a 9-7 deficit all from leaving a pitcher in past when it was obvious he should have been yanked.

Burkamper's body language after the error told me he was mentally defeated, and the walk should have definitely gotten him pulled. This isn't something we haven't seen before, against the same opponent, nonetheless.

The one nice thing is our RPI has only dropped to 38, a nice run through the losers bracket may actually benefit us. It will also put that damn chip on their shoulders this team seems to need so badly to stay focused!

Sorry, that was a really long rant, but I'm not shocked based off of what happened last year. I think Silva wanted to save his bullpen arms knowing Shawaryn went the distance and Maryland's pen would be fully available, but you've got to take care of your own business first.

I would feel about 50/50 on our chances. I don't think we can definitively say we would be out, but it would be far from a sure thing.

I would feel about 50/50 on our chances. I don't think we can definitively say we would be out, but it would be far from a sure thing.

I said a week or so ago if we get to 38 wins we should be in. Win tomorrow is what we may need to assure a spot if its not assured already. I say we just win the whole thing.

I think if we lose tomorrow, we end up a 4 seed in a very tough regional like Miami or A&M.

One loss and the detractors are back with how Erstad and the whole program suck. Welcome back, folks. It's been a few weeks since we heard from you. Oh, yeah...screw you guys.

I think if we lose tomorrow, we end up a 4 seed in a very tough regional like Miami or A&M.

Most four seeds end up being schools from small conferences that win their tourney championship. Most likely we would be a borderline 3 seed or out entirely if we do go 2 and Que.

One loss and the detractors are back with how Erstad and the whole program suck. Welcome back, folks. It's been a few weeks since we heard from you. Oh, yeah...screw you guys.

No one said the program sucks in this thread, your words. Erstad has a job to get the team ready to play and manage the game. Today the team was not focused, Erstad's job partially, some of that is on the players. Erstad also is in charge of Silva, and Burkamper was left in pry too long. With the success comes the glory, with the failure comes the critique. You cannot have one without the other. I hope we get it turned around tomorrow and I will continue to support the program, including Erstad.

I just get irritated when they have no fire. I miss the days when a pitcher would get a big strikeout to end an inning and the entire team would come sprinting off the field feeling motivated, especially the pitcher. Not today, 2 big strikeouts late in the game and King walks off the mound like someone just ran over his dog. It would be interesting to hear what is said (if anything) in the dugout between innings. I know its just one game, but now you have to be ready to play a team that can possibly end your season at 9am.

I am always worried about the first game of a tourney because everyone has an ace and to be honest Nebraska doesn't have a true ace. We have two Saturday guys and a pretty good Sunday guy. I was hoping we'd get through this one because I knew we'd be in decent shape the next three starts compared to the rest of the conference. Ironically enough the team that has the next best 2 guy is Indiana. Heck Iowa sucks and they are beating Minny because Minny only does it with the bats and Iowa's ace is at least decent enough to make it a game.

Besides, we will now have Burkamper pitch the championship game so we all gooooooood!

Atleast we have quite a few options to get thru the losers bracket. We are going to need some guys to step up. Guys like Engleken, King, and McSteen are going to have to produce some quality outings.

Reactions: saluno22
Unfortunately both of these teams playing Game 4 can't lose. But to keep the streak of bottom seeds winning going, I guess I'll pull for Michigan as the 5 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT