ADVERTISEMENT

We will crush the Puffs

CU had 5 scoring possessions during the game. The numbers tell story in terms of yards and time of possession - mostly all big plays with Hunter/Horn and one sustained drive capped by a great catch by Hunter:

75 yards, 2:41
75 yards, 0:44
89 yards, 0:56
72 yards, 2:04
80 yards, 8:10
It's in my post history I'm sure, my friend from the Oregon AD had thoughts on CU and Sanders. He/they don't thinknas much of him as the national media. One of his quotes was make them drive the field and they can't. Watch the Oregon CU game from last year. NU has on defense players very close to that talent level.

our offense has more talent than NDSU and their coach's QB shuffling at key moments was ridiculous. The one thing NDSU has that we maybe don't have with Dylan is a true run threat from their QBs. The one QB substitution ended up costing them a delay of game penalty that killed a drive.
Those holes were so big once their QB got out of the pocket that even Dylan will get 10-15 yards on a scramble if they don't shore that up.

He is one of 22 starters. I’m not worried about him. The other 21 better be focused.
Not a concern of mine at this point. Rhule is a grinder. DR is a grinder. This team has no reason to be cocky and I haven't seen any indication anyone is. The first game isn't the one you usually worry about anyway. It's the middle of the season. My gawd, if we somehow managed to overlook UTEP and get beat then it probably wouldn't matter anyway. We weren't going to have a good year.

I should also add that CU will do everything it can to get in DR’s. Lots of pre snap movement to confuse his line calls, lots of stunting, bring the pressure big and often. You always want to see what a young QB can handle.

Expect some busts, blitzes that work against us, some miscommunication between QB and WR. All that can be mitigated with a good running game relying on the bigs up front and not the myriad of things going through Raiola’s head especially at the beginning. The game will naturally be sped up for him.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I should also add that CU will do everything it can to get in DR’s. Lots of pre snap movement to confuse his line calls, lots of stunting, bring the pressure big and often. You always want to see what a young QB can handle.

Expect some busts, blitzes that work against us, some miscommunication between QB and WR. All that can be mitigated with a good running game relying on the bigs up front and not the myriad of things going through Raiola’s head especially at the beginning. The game will naturally be sped up for him.
Not sure he didn't see better defenses playing in Georgia HS. ...minus Hunter.

Reactions: RedMyMind
We'll learn a lot about this Husker squad tomorrow. Couple things about the CU game.....
1) They are definitely a one dimensional offense. Good power 5 defenses make teams like that pay.
2) Their defense and really team overall looks soft.
3) It's a night game vs Colorado in Memorial stadium. This is gonna be a HUGE factor. More than most people think.
4) I believe we finally have a true QB who won't turn it over 1000 times per game.

I'm not too worried about the Puffs. Hopefully I'll feel the same way this Sunday morning! Lol

Reactions: leodisflowers
our offense has more talent than NDSU and their coach's QB shuffling at key moments was ridiculous. The one thing NDSU has that we maybe don't have with Dylan is a true run threat from their QBs. The one QB substitution ended up costing them a delay of game penalty that killed a drive.
I thought there were 2 things that decided the game. #1-- Ihe NDSU secondary kids are playing at that FCS level for a reason, a clear lack of footspeed. The NU secondary will match up much better speed wise, although, their WR's and Sanders will be a handful.

I 100% agree with you on inserting the other QB which screwed up their offensive rhythm. Overall, I felt Miller their starting QB was excellent in terms of doing everything well. The backup made one nice run in the 4th quarter, other than that, when they inserted him, the offense seemed to bog down and lose momentum. Never been a fan of making a change just for the sake of making a change. Especially when Miller was doing such a great job of leading the NDSU offense.

I feel the CU OLine is very weak. As is the DL. "Assuming" NU is another year bigger, stronger and in better condition, would not be surprised to see NU push them around pretty well.

I don't like the idea that Rhule has said NU will play all 4 RB's, that's a good way to disrupt a good rhythm that a back may be in. After spring and fall ball, IF a RB coach doesn't know who his top 2 backs are, then I see that as a weakness in a coach. Make a fricking decision based upon ball carrying skill, ball security, pass pro and passes out of the backfield and go with it.

It's like the old saying, if you have 2 QB's you don't have any QB, same thing with the RB spot, if you have 4 RB's then you don't have any.

This is crazy, people predicting we will blow CU out without having seen what our own team looks like. Mess around and Shedeur will put up over 500 passing yards again.

Q Newsome did a great job on Hunter last year, holding him to 3 catches for 73 yards

Hartzog started opposite him at corner, like he'll do this year opposite Hill

he gave up 10 catches, 170 yards and a TD

Reactions: Huskers123456
last year CU committed 9 penalties for 80 yards against us

last night only 3 for 30

this is another area where we have a chance to show we're a better coached team

Reactions: Huskers123456
last year CU committed 9 penalties for 80 yards against us

last night only 3 for 30

this is another area where we have a chance to show we're a better coached team
I predict a LOT more penalties by them next weekend. I also worry a little about cheap shots to our QB.

Reactions: king_kong_
I hope the little shit tries his BS against Nebraska.

We will see if the refs let him get away with that shit next week. Also if the refs let Hunter get away with his blatant offensive pass interference. Some of the clips I have seen of both players leaves me scratching my head about the officials in that game. I mean … come on. These were not even marginal. Blatant penalties left uncalled.

Their offense is wayyyy too explosive to be this confident. Will be an interesting match up for our defense, especially since both schools now know what the other's system looks like.
Exactly. CU’s skill position players made our defense look bad in the second half last year. Essentially the same players this year. We simply must pressure Shadeur or it will be a long day for our defense.

Reactions: king_kong_
I guess the thing we have to be worried about is if Colorado is able to play lights out, error free football next week.

It's possible the star could align and Nebraska f's up all over the place and Colorado takes advantage.

But I'm hoping it's more likely we carry over improvement from last year and our skill positions and o-line take a big jump.

That's why we play the games. Can't wait for Lincoln to show them all the hospitality they deserve.

Exactly. CU’s skill position players made our defense look bad in the second half last year. Essentially the same players this year. We simply must pressure Shadeur or it will be a long day for our defense.

Our DL has to pressure the QB, and our offense has to control the clock and move the chains. With CU's quick strike style of offense, one of the defenses is going to get worn down, we need to make sure it is them.

It's in my post history I'm sure, my friend from the Oregon AD had thoughts on CU and Sanders. He/they don't thinknas much of him as the national media. One of his quotes was make them drive the field and they can't. Watch the Oregon CU game from last year. NU has on defense players very close to that talent level.
While a true statement, a team still has to make them drive the field. Last year they had the short field constantly. Short field, long field, they can make a long field pretty short in a hurry.

Q Newsome did a great job on Hunter last year, holding him to 3 catches for 73 yards

Hartzog started opposite him at corner, like he'll do this year opposite Hill

he gave up 10 catches, 170 yards and a TD
Do our corners flip sides? I thought Hartzog moved to safety? Correct me here.

Our DL has to pressure the QB, and our offense has to control the clock and move the chains. With CU's quick strike style of offense, one of the defenses is going to get worn down, we need to make sure it is them.
They also need to get their hands up in the throwing lanes if they can't get home. Our dudes are just so much bigger and longer wingspan and could really help make SS hold the ball because the throwing lane is blocked.

QB Sanders got damn lucky with some of his playground BS last night. NDSU secondary doesn't have the same talent as Nebraska. But NDSU played with patience, played smart football and stuck with their game plan.

CU is dangerous with their passing game. Travis Hunter is a terrific WR, and Horn Jr can also take it to the house. We will have to get pressure. I’m not optimistic if it turns into an offensive shootout.

Agree, we are going to have to play some pass defense. Probably best to pressure sanders rather than try to lock down those receivers.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Agree, we are going to have to play some pass defense. Probably best to pressure sanders rather than try to lock down those receivers.
If NU is gonna go after him, I would hope they would come after him with some kids that can run.
I think throughout the course of the day, NU is gonna beat the living shit out of the Buffs physically.

If NU is gonna go after him, I would hope they would come after him with some kids that can run.
I think throughout the course of the day, NU is gonna beat the living shit out of the Buffs physically.
the play that put us away last year was 3rd & 10, zero blitz and T Hill getting beat over the top for a 50 yard gain

set up the TD that put them ahead 20-7

Colorado is a rare type of team.

Elite of the elite at QB and WR.

Everywhere else looks like a Group of 5 team with a few Power 5 level players sprinkled in.

We need to hit Sanders, Hunter and Horne early and often.

Swarm to the ball like crazy because all three of those guys can make 1, 2, 3 guys miss on a single play.

CU may be one of those teams that doesn’t blow you out or overpower you. They are just good enough to hang around and utilize their tremendous athletes in the end. If our game with them is close going into the 4th I will be concerned. They have big play ability.
Big play ability is all they have. They have no depth. Horn or Hunter go out they are screwed. Sanders goes down they are done. Defensive lineman goes down, they are more screwed. Defense looks lost. There is no cohesiveness. They have no run game. Since they have such a powerful passing attack, according to some on this board, this shouldn't matter but it does. Have fun in the Big 12 where I see 1 win, 5 legit losses and 3 tossup games. It would be better to play Colorado as the season goes, since they have no depth, but this should be an auto win for Rhule. If we lose, it will be on the coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT