ADVERTISEMENT

We were close

Maryland has an elite offense. Is what it is but that homer about 5 feet short will sting for awhile. Haha

We were 3 wins short of a big ten tourney title and probably 8-10 regular season wins short of an at large bid.

We were not close

We were 3 wins short of a big ten tourney title and probably 8-10 regular season wins short of an at large bid.

We were not close
Yeah, I agree, not close but I don't think even ten wins gets us an at-large bid. We were really out of the hunt for that. Our SOS is so bad we'd likely need north of 45 wins to overcome that load.

As a group, our opponents (combined) finished under .500 for the year and that is half of the RPI formula. Hell, ten games were played against teams who combined for a .268 record.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Yeah, I agree, not close but I don't think even ten wins gets us an at-large bid. We were really out of the hunt for that. Our SOS is so bad we'd likely need north of 45 wins to overcome that load.

As a group, our opponents (combined) finished under .500 for the year and that is half of the RPI formula. Hell, ten games were played against teams who combined for a .268 record.
@NU HZKRZ said the numbers indicated that if we won our midweeks with Omaha, CU, Dakotas we would have been at large (9-0 instead of 3-6) range for RPI

@sklarbodds can you share them? I'm not at home to grab them.

Hopefully he can share or it'll be tomorrow afternoon from me, but Will also said it in his post-game last night too. Gotta take care of midweek and we're still playing.
It's hard to get up for midweek games against Summit League opponents.

@NU HZKRZ said the numbers indicated that if we won our midweeks with Omaha, CU, Dakotas we would have been at large (9-0 instead of 3-6) range for RPI
Wow. Yes, I would like to see those numbers. In all the years I've chased RPI numbers, making spreadsheets and working through schedules I've never seen a six game flip move an upper 90s RPI fifty points into at-large bid territory.

Players need to get themselves up for midweek games. Winning attitude should take care of that.

It'd be one thing if it were this year only, but they got embarrassed twice by UNO last year and lost to CU as well (only two games were scheduled and the other one was rained out). I figured they'd dig a little deeper this year but it was more of the same.

It'd be one thing if it were this year only, but they got embarrassed twice by UNO last year and lost to CU as well (only two games were scheduled and the other one was rained out). I figured they'd dig a little deeper this year but it was more of the same.
Really disappointing season.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Really disappointing season.

2022 was a really disappointing season.

2023 was a bounce back and foundation setting season, after a reset due to 2022.

33-23-1 is no joke after a 23-30 season and roster overhaul.

Heck, the last 2 national champions haven't even made their conference tournaments where 12 of 14 teams qualify. Mud State 2 straight years missing and Ole Miss this year. And those teams recruit at an extremely higher level and put way more resources in to their programs than Nebraska.

Dont make Regionals in 2024, then disappointments can be discussed.

Reactions: moralvictories
2022 was a really disappointing season.

2023 was a bounce back and foundation setting season, after a reset due to 2022.

33-23-1 is no joke after a 23-30 season and roster overhaul.

Heck, the last 2 national champions haven't even made their conference tournaments where 12 of 14 teams qualify. Mud State 2 straight years missing and Ole Miss this year. And those teams recruit at an extremely higher level and put way more resources in to their programs than Nebraska.

Dont make Regionals in 2024, then disappointments can be discussed.
Maybe disappointing due to the mid-week losses to Summit League opponents. However as I have stated, it's hard to get up for mid-week crap opponents.

@sklarbodds can you share them? I'm not at home to grab them.

Hopefully he can share or it'll be tomorrow afternoon from me, but Will also said it in his post-game last night too. Gotta take care of midweek and we're still playing.
I just found Bolt's remarks and he did indeed say we we're about a five-game swing away from being in NCAA Tournament contention.

“In a lot of ways we looked the part, but that five-game swing, we’re going to look back on and say, ‘how do we correct that?’ How do we build enough pitching depth to make sure we win the midweek games? How do we have a roster that’s deep enough where you can give a guy a rest on a Tuesday.”

If you still have those numbers and can post them here I would very much like to look at them. I certainly want to be on the same page as Bolt and maybe I could learn some things I didn't know about or never figured out on my own.

I will say, the worst RPI selected by the committee this year was Louisiana (RPI 48). This is quite a bit better than our RPI 97.

I just found Bolt's remarks and he did indeed say we we're about a five-game swing away from being in NCAA Tournament contention.

“In a lot of ways we looked the part, but that five-game swing, we’re going to look back on and say, ‘how do we correct that?’ How do we build enough pitching depth to make sure we win the midweek games? How do we have a roster that’s deep enough where you can give a guy a rest on a Tuesday.”

If you still have those numbers and can post them here I would very much like to look at them. I certainly want to be on the same page as Bolt and maybe I could learn some things I didn't know about or never figured out on my own.

I will say, the worst RPI selected by the committee this year was Louisiana (RPI 48). This is quite a bit better than our RPI 97.
Well, one win vs. Iowa and one more vs. Maryland would have made NU Big Ten champs. That said, it's clear the committee gives RPI the most weight (something approaching 99%) when filling out the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT