ADVERTISEMENT

We used to have Dudes . .

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
I was encouraged by Carriker's Chronicles to rewatch the OSU comeback game. I remember being disappointed with so many Bo teams that petered out in conference season. It's been so long since we've had a collection of dudes on one team th a t I forget what that was like. On that team, we had Burkhead, Spencer Long, Marcel Jones, Enunwa, LaVonte David, and T. Martinez when he was still healthy. I'm sure I'm missing guys too. I don't remember too many other teams after that where we had that many dudes in key spots.

I was encouraged by Carriker's Chronicles to rewatch the OSU comeback game. I remember being disappointed with so many Bo teams that petered out in conference season. It's been so long since we've had a collection of dudes on one team th a t I forget what that was like. On that team, we had Burkhead, Spencer Long, Marcel Jones, Enunwa, LaVonte David, and T. Martinez when he was still healthy. I'm sure I'm missing guys too. I don't remember too many other teams after that where we had that many dudes in key spots.
They barely beat an Ohio State team that went 6-7 - and only because Bauserman replaced Braxton Miller at quarterback. They lost to Northwestern at home, got destroyed by Wisconsin and Michigan and lost big in their bowl game. That was a very disappointing season.

Last edited:
They barely beat an Ohio State team that went 6-7 - and only because Bauserman replaced Braxton Miller at quarterback. They lost to Northwestern at home, got destroyed by Wisconsin and Michigan and lost big in their bowl game. That was a very disappointing season.
Yep, we had some horses, but not enough. Let’s not polish this turd

Agree on all counts. Now take the teams after that that had half as many down to no dudes and look how much worse it got. Crazy that it took that many dudes to barely eke out 9 wins including FCS non-cons.

Enunwa was starting to catch on in the NFL until neck issues appeared to end his career. He was fun to watch...big bodied, tough-nosed, hard worker.

Points more to coaching than anything. This was the last time Bo really cared because he was trying to get the OSU job and thought he was a lock for it once Tressel was fired. That staff was a fricken mess even though they still had some decent players. College football coaching circles remind me of the Kremlin.

Reactions: dpnavy
Points more to coaching than anything. This was the last time Bo really cared because he was trying to get the OSU job and thought he was a lock for it once Tressel was fired. That staff was a fricken mess even though they still had some decent players. College football coaching circles remind me of the Kremlin.

I'm not convinced Bo wouldn't have done OK at OSU....when he had players he looked like a decent coach...and he could get those at OSU. We'll never know of course but I always wondered how that would have turned out...you also have to remember there was a time when he was well thought of in coaching circles...and I remember him being rumored to he Florida's guy at one time....of course we know it didn't happen.

Reactions: dpnavy
Lol kind of misrepresented how good the other teams were. That 2011 Wisconsin team darn near went to the national title game. They lost 2 games in season to hail mary's. By far the best Wisconsin team we have seen. The Michigan team you refer to finished number 9 and finished 11-2. They also lost to a really good 11-2 South Carolina team in the bowl game.

They also picked up a win against 11-2 Michigan state team that finished 10th.

Was it the best Nebraska team? Nope, not by a mile. But their schedule was pretty impressive. Northwestern Being the only team, they should have beaten.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
I'm not convinced Bo wouldn't have done OK at OSU....when he had players he looked like a decent coach...and he could get those at OSU. We'll never know of course but I always wondered how that would have turned out...you also have to remember there was a time when he was well thought of in coaching circles...and I remember him being rumored to he Florida's guy at one time....of course we know it didn't happen.
I don’t remember Florida but he told his staff they were going to LSU before that last Holiday Bowl debacle. Can’t blame him for wanting out given our Administrative situation but damn they mailed it in.

Reactions: Laner2
I don’t remember Florida but he told his staff they were going to LSU before that last Holiday Bowl debacle. Can’t blame him for wanting out given our Administrative situation but damn they mailed it in.
There is no way he thought he was going to LSU. After the 2010 season Miles was still riding high, they were 11-2 and winning bowl games. Now I am pretty sure Miami was a team that was looking at him..

Cowherd teased it on a Friday...he said "STAB" and it would make sense come Monday. Somebody else got the job and he revealed what stab stood for..... southern ties advantage Bo.

Man injury destroyed that team in what could have been a phenomenal year. The defensive trio of Crick, David and Dennard was the backbone of a defense that needed to be great though and it just was unfortunate that those three guys never had a single game when all three were available that season.

Yes, we had dudes in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, with relatively few dudes thereafter. Let's get back to the future, or past, or whatever. We need some dudes.

There is no way he thought he was going to LSU. After the 2010 season Miles was still riding high, they were 11-2 and winning bowl games. Now I am pretty sure Miami was a team that was looking at him..
As I recall, it was the year that Miles was toying with leaving but ended up staying put. A family member of mine had a professional relationship with some of the staff. IF Bo was going to have success as a head coach he needed to be in a talent rich area.

The Big Lebowski GIF by PeacockTV

• Love
Reactions: Jaemekon
"IF Bo was going to have success as a head coach he needed to be in a talent rich area."

Maybe so. I personally don't think Bo had the right personality for any high profile HC job. His disdain for the media and fans would have played about as well in Columbus as it did in Lincoln, unless he won an extremely high percentage of games.

"You saw it! Whaddya YOU think?!"

Reactions: Huskers123456
Lol kind of misrepresented how good the other teams were. That 2011 Wisconsin team darn near went to the national title game. They lost 2 games in season to hail mary's. By far the best Wisconsin team we have seen. The Michigan team you refer to finished number 9 and finished 11-2. They also lost to a really good 11-2 South Carolina team in the bowl game.

They also picked up a win against 11-2 Michigan state team that finished 10th.

Was it the best Nebraska team? Nope, not by a mile. But their schedule was pretty impressive. Northwestern Being the only team, they should have beaten.
Your not wrong my dude. 2011's schedule was legit. Though 2012 to like 2014 might have been some of the easiest ones I have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT