ADVERTISEMENT

We Know What We Are

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
Well, we're 22 games into the season. I see these things:

1. A deep, talented offense. Leading the Big 10 in average and slugging. Top three in OBP, runs scored, hits, and HRs. Anglim's return from injury should only help improve this.
2. A top-notch defense. First in the league in fielding percentage.
3. Two premium starters. Kaminska leads the conference in ERA. Olson is 11th. Both are top four in IP.
4. No dependable starters after the first two. A very shaky bullpen. This has contributed mightily to at least five losses and a tie.

This weekend went exactly how these things would predict. Solid starts and wins on Friday and Saturday. A Sunday slugfest that could go either way.

I think we're set up well for conference play. There shouldn't be a series we can't win. Midweek? We should handle the Dakota schools but might continue to struggle with the Omaha teams and K-State. I'll feel a lot better if someone can step up as a third starter and Perry and Bunz progress toward being their old selves.

Well, we're 22 games into the season. I see these things:

1. A deep, talented offense. Leading the Big 10 in average and slugging. Top three in OBP, runs scored, hits, and HRs. Anglim's return from injury should only help improve this.
2. A top-notch defense. First in the league in fielding percentage.
3. Two premium starters. Kaminska leads the conference in ERA. Olson is 11th. Both are top four in IP.
4. No dependable starters after the first two. A very shaky bullpen. This has contributed mightily to at least five losses and a tie.

This weekend went exactly how these things would predict. Solid starts and wins on Friday and Saturday. A Sunday slugfest that could go either way.

I think we're set up well for conference play. There shouldn't be a series we can't win. Midweek? We should handle the Dakota schools but might continue to struggle with the Omaha teams and K-State. I'll feel a lot better if someone can step up as a third starter and Perry and Bunz progress toward being their old selves.
Pretty much nailed it. Really hoping they can find a guy to at least get us a few innings to start a Sunday. We may need to throw Shay in that spot with his experience. The downside is we lose him in the pen on Friday or Saturday.

So the question is, do we play for greater odds to win 2 and let Sunday be a crapshoot? Or do we keep trying to use one of our better bullpen guys knowing how thin we are there as well?

Pretty much nailed it. Really hoping they can find a guy to at least get us a few innings to start a Sunday. We may need to throw Shay in that spot with his experience. The downside is we lose him in the pen on Friday or Saturday.

So the question is, do we play for greater odds to win 2 and let Sunday be a crapshoot? Or do we keep trying to use one of our better bullpen guys knowing how thin we are there as well?
I say yes. Empty the tank if needed on Friday and Saturday. Hope to score 10+ runs on Sunday.

I still think some combination of Brockett, Walsh, Garza can make Sunday work. They've all shown flashes.

We just need someone to be consistent.

I really don't want to move Shay out of his current role if at all possible.

I did hope maybe Sears would contribute a bit more, is he hampered?

Reactions: BrighteRed24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT