ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early hot seat speculation

Laner2

Head Coach
Dec 27, 2007
The Hurtling Moons of Barsoom
No new commits since Jones so let's read some tea leaves and look at B1G coaches who could have their seats warming up:

-- Io_a: Kirk's sugar daddy AD is gone and the new one doesn't seem to care for the Dean of B1G football. HOT!

-- Foster at UCLA. Nope, just hired and no way they can him so soon. Nor should they. SAFE

-- Luke Fickell. He may not get canned after this season but Wisky is swirling around the toilet bowl with his Air Rodent offense. This season may say a lot. WARM

-- Day should be canned immediately for overdoing the hair- and beard-dye, but with the talent he's stockpiled he's beyond SAFE.

-- Jonathan Smith at MSU is brand new. SAFE.

-- Sherrone Moore. Can't speak in public to save his life, but he needs more time to see what he can do at MeCheatin'. They lost a load of talent on the field and in the staff, and it's gonna be way harder to steal signs going forward but I can't get past the idea that Sherrone is a sacrificial lamb. The Cheats appear to blow this year and someone's gotta pay. Sherrone is safe this year but that is one self-entitled fan base/alumni......who else would be so vapid as to dream up the term "Michigan Man"? I see Sherrone as a three-and-done if they poop the bed. SAFE

-- James Franklin at PSU has perennially done less with more than just about any other program. Depends on whether PSU fans are willing to be satisfied with playing well enough to sniff conference titles but not win them. SAFE (but getting warm)

-- Plugs at Minnesota. His schtick at Minny has got to be wearing thin. Never at the bottom but rarely cresting above mediocrity. Personally I hope Minny keeps him for this reason: Minny is one of the few schools who have long-term scoreboard on NU. With Rhule that margin is going to be trimmed back in short order. WARM

-- Bielema. He seems to have Illinois on a good trajectory with the last of Lovey's recruits. He's a truly ugly human being but his job seems SAFE,

-- Mike Locksley. Don't know that much about Maryland but from what little I've seen of them they appear to be a middle-of-the-pack program with odd uniforms,. Besides, for some reason I like this guy and hope he does well there. SAFE.

-- Schiano. Solid coach, knows and recruits the Northeast well and everyone at Rutgers seem to like him. SAFE.

-- Curt Cignetti, Indiana. Again, don't know much about him. Overall hc record is 121-35 but mostly at lower tier schools. 2-0 this season, so......SAFE.

-- Lanning. Looking shaky to start the season, but it's early and Oregon is stocked. SAFE.

-- Lincoln Riley. Safe at USC for now but his stock has kind of plateaued and his cred as a QB whisperer havs taken a hit. He needs to look respectable this season. SAFE

-- Ryan Walters, Purdue. Went 4-8 last year, which is not great news for any program not named Nebraska. Walters ain't Rhule and NU is getting all the positive buzz in the sports media. He needs to make that record better this season or his seat could get toasty, yes even after only two years. SAFE

-- David Braun. Don't know who he is? NWU head coach. Did pretty darned well in 23 after taking over the dumpster fire Fitzgerald left, but can he recruit? The bar is low at NWU.....think Io_a kind of low. But he needs to show he can recruit at least as well as Fitz------again, low bar. SAFE.

-- Jedd Fisch, Washington. New coach at WaWa, but last year he took AZ to 10-3 so he has a record out there, SAFE.

-- Rhule. Rhule could take a dump on 90th and West Dodge during rush hour and people would wax poetic over the culture he built around it. SAFE

Last edited:
I am picturing Coach Rhule doing this while giving the Nebraska hand sign. LOL
mister rogers middle finger GIF

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes
The pain train is about to arrive in Madison. They host Bama this weekend, and their remaining schedule includes trips to USC, Rutgers, Iowa, NU and they host PSU and Oregon. They've got an uphill battle.

Reactions: bigboxes and eashy
When does Pedo State come calling for Rhule if he gets us to 9-3/10-2 this year and next year we are top 10 rated? Does Rhule move the needle for them or do they think they can go bigger?

Reactions: Laner2
Walter’s is safe barring a 1 win season, which would be shocking. Seat won’t get warm until after next year if he still hasn’t won 6. Which would shock me.

Reactions: Laner2
When does Pedo State come calling for Rhule if he gets us to 9-3/10-2 this year and next year we are top 10 rated? Does Rhule move the needle for them or do they think they can go bigger?
I am probably drinking the koolaid, but there’s something about Rhule that makes me think he will want to stick around for awhile… if he can establish Nebraska as a national power once again, he will get his own statue here as well.

Again, probably drinking the koolaid…

I am probably drinking the koolaid, but there’s something about Rhule that makes me think he will want to stick around for awhile… if he can establish Nebraska as a national power once again, he will get his own statue here as well.

I hope he does too, im biased, but coaching at Nebraska with a winning program and chasing greatness has to be a better job than Penn State. Recruiting no longer seems like a big issue.

He would have to win BIG here. PSU won't be able to move on from Franklin and his level of success without making a splash hire.

Reactions: timnsun
Seems strange considering how many see it as a hindrance, but our location seems to work for Rhule. Seems close enough to Texas to recruit it effectively. He seems intent on owning Nebraska northward. And he's only now starting to see results in Missouri. He has the exact formula that I think most Husker fans would say is about perfect.

I hope he does too, im biased, but coaching at Nebraska with a winning program and chasing greatness has to be a better job than Penn State. Recruiting no longer seems like a big issue.
We currently have the 26th ranked class. Most teams that are competing major conference championships and national championships are a bit higher.

Last edited:
Rhule will jump ship for Penn State when they want him. This sentiment of "ackshually Rhule is different and will stay here forever" is naive. every fanbase does this when mama calls, and they're embarrassed each time.

I don't see them wanting him until he's winning conference championships, though.

Rhule will jump ship for Penn State when they want him. This sentiment of "ackshually Rhule is different and will stay here forever" is naive. every fanbase does this when mama calls, and they're embarrassed each time.

I don't see them wanting him until he's winning conference championships, though.
Sadly, we need PSU to do really well under Franklin (except when we play them). Then they will just keep Franklin.

If Rhule gives us 4 winning seasons with a conference title and a playoff appearance I'll wish him well and shake his hand when he leaves. No hard feelings. That's a dream scenario for me, but let's get there first. He has a long way to go before PSU would want to hire him.

Ah, but his wife planting business roots down here would make your take shower quite incorrect.

If Rhule were to leave for PSU, I think it would be either after this season or after he makes more than one playoff appearance. The way they are expanding the playoffs, you could easily not win your conference championship and still win a natl championship. Which is disgusting in my opinion but hey, that's what they want.

I said before the season, there’s a good chance KKKirk has checked out at Iowa and their season will reflect it
IMO, KF has told his most recent recruits that he will not leave, of course plans could change. He also will be THAT guy to tell the AD who will be replacing him, which is the DC Parker. This will allow Lavar Woods to be promoted as DC and then be the guy replacing Parker 3-4 years later as Parker does not aspire to be a long term solution as a HC.

If Rhule were to leave for PSU, I think it would be either after this season or after he makes more than one playoff appearance. The way they are expanding the playoffs, you could easily not win your conference championship and still win a natl championship. Which is disgusting in my opinion but hey, that's what they want.
We would gladly have accepted the trophy for the 2001 season had we defeated Miami.

We did not win Conference that year.

Nebraska is a better job than pennst

there is nothing they've done that we haven't done better

I am not at all concerned with them poaching our coach

He has to win 8 or 9 games first. Could be soon who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT