ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT(soccer): CONCACAF

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
Does South America not participate?

I don’t follow soccer but kind of think US Men have something brewing so I’m watching since baseball isn’t on

Just saw the graphic that only Mexico, US and Canada have won this thing. Perplexing to say the least

Is it totally meaningless?

Reactions: baseball31ne
I think South America has their own thing.
Some of its weird where some of the top players like Pulisec don't participate in all matches.
My son-in-law is heavy into the soccer. It is my understanding that the US national team uses events like this to get their third and fourth line players some experience on the international stage.

Does South America not participate?

I don’t follow soccer but kind of think US Men have something brewing so I’m watching since baseball isn’t on

Just saw the graphic that only Mexico, US and Canada have won this thing. Perplexing to say the least

Is it totally meaningless?
North America teams …

Reactions: king_kong_
Qatar was in this tournament as well which makes no sense. Women's World Cup starts next week so that should be fun.

CONCACAF is the continental confederation for North/Central America and the Caribbean nations. South America has its own confederation (CONMEBOL), as do the other continents (UEFA, AFCON, AFC, etc). There are a few weird standouts - Israel is in Europe for obvious geopolitical reasons, Australia left Oceania for better competition in the Asian confederation, and Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana play in CONCACAF rather than in CONMEBOL even though they're physically in South America, because the CONMEBOL teams like their little club (I don't actually know the reasoning for that). Most confederations have at least one continental tournament played periodically, usually in the summer which is the typical time for international tournaments in the FIFA calendar. Some of these are fairly prestigious - most notably the Euros and Copa America (CONMEBOL).
The Caribbean countries outnumber the other nations in CONCACAF and thus control much of the governance.

One of the consequences of this is that the Gold Cup is played every other year rather than every four years like most continental tournaments, as a money grab. The stronger nations often send weaker rosters to some (or, going forward, possibly every) editions of the Gold Cup so their better players, who are often playing grueling seasons in Europe, can get an actual offseason and some fringe guys or future prospects can get some time. There's also ANOTHER continental competition (remember, money grabs) called the CONCACAF Nations league played every two years which USA/Mex/Canada seem to be prioritizing for their stronger teams because it's more spread out and less of a time commitment in a given summer. The US won the latest edition a few weeks ago.

Sometimes confederations invite guests to participate in their tournaments - Qatar bought their way into the last couple Gold Cups with "sponsorships". This often happens with Copa America because 10 teams is an awkward number for a tournament. The US is invited to (and hosting) the 2024 Copa America (again, money grab - if you want to make a bunch of money on an event, host it in America). Presumably they will field a strong roster for that tournament next summer.

More than you ever wanted to know. So I'll throw in one more note - if you watch US games against the various CONCACAF teams, it's important to leave your expectations at the door and embrace the CONCACAF suck. This goes triple with weaker rosters like we have for this tournament. Expecting the US team to look good against these teams is preparing yourself for endless frustration. The officiating will be beyond questionable. If the game's not in a major country, there's a good chance the field will look like a goat pasture. There will either be 4 people in the stands or the stadium will be threatening to collapse, depending on location. Gotta embrace it or just don't watch.

Women's team is the gold standard. Watched the 2019 final in a bar in Moscow. Was really cool to be surrounded by a few Americans as we kicked the world's ass.
It’s not really the same.

98% of the world’s female population aren’t allowed to play sports.

I’ll maybe watch the women’s finals but the rest is boring af

Reactions: baseball31ne
The USMNT playing in this tournament right now is the B team at best. Not the product that would compete in the WC.

the gold cup isnt using starters like pulisic bc they just played a more important tournament and doing back to back leading into club would be a problem. us soccer is actually looking very good going into the next world cup. super excited to be living in a city thats hosting games.

the gold cup isnt using starters like pulisic bc they just played a more important tournament and doing back to back leading into club would be a problem. us soccer is actually looking very good going into the next world cup. super excited to be living in a city thats hosting games.
Yeah I really want to go to Mexico City in 26 to see some matches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT