ADVERTISEMENT

Washington update

Hmmmm....sounds like they are aiming to delay this thing through the football season. I wouldn’t be mad at all if so. It would allow him to play this season if the worst case happens and we lose him. But I still think he’s going no where. Players with his skill sets seem to find ways to play. He will be a Husker till his a senior. GBR

Hmmmm....sounds like they are aiming to delay this thing through the football season. I wouldn’t be mad at all if so. It would allow him to play this season if the worst case happens and we lose him. But I still think he’s going no where. Players with his skill sets seem to find ways to play. He will be a Husker till his a senior. GBR
october is hardly the end of the year. It sounds like the prosecutors may be the ones delaying it.

Glad Frost played Mo. May not be on purpose, but I like to imagine Frost sticking it to the system. Pretty much saying their delays will not stop our team. Play on

I have already proven & made an ass of myself knowing absolutely nothing about how these proceedings generally go, what any of this legal mumbo jumbo means or what we can expect moving forward

that said, here's hoping there's no more need for Mo to miss game time due to this or any other transgressions in 2019 and beyond

Based on what? Not this article.
not this article. Prosecutors are in no hurry to take this to trial. They're waiting to see if he screws up. When the public sees what appears to be an open and shut case that prosecutors delay on it's almost always in hope the defendants provide them more evidence. He's not a flight risk or risk to the public so there's no rush to get him off the streets. Sometimes its the defense buying more time but I think in this case Washington would be most interested in getting a quick plea deal and have it over with.

Last edited:
"Speedy" is a pretty relative term when it comes to the judicial system.
It would be interesting to see the filings on the case to see who requested the delay. I don't see how delaying it helps Washington at all unless they could get another delay later to take it past football season.

Reactions: scarletred
not this article. Prosecutors are in no hurry to take this to trial. They're waiting to see if he screws up. When the public sees what appears to be an open and shut case that prosecutors delay on it's almost always in hope the defendants provide them more evidence. He's not a flight risk or risk to the public so there's no rush to get him off the streets. Sometimes its the defense buying more time but I think in this case Washington would be most interested in getting a quick plea deal and have it over with.

Again based on what? The 4 delays by the defense?

october is hardly the end of the year. It sounds like the prosecutors may be the ones delaying it.

Right and agreed. The next court date is about the half way point. I doubt it will be over then. It’s still in the Pre-trial area. It’s still got a ways to go. Only thing speeding it up now is a plea deal.

I have already proven & made an ass of myself knowing absolutely nothing about how these proceedings generally go, what any of this legal mumbo jumbo means or what we can expect moving forward

that said, here's hoping there's no more need for Mo to miss game time due to this or any other transgressions in 2019 and beyond

agreed and on the same page there

Reactions: Top_Gun_
You really cant think the prosecutors are dragging this out in hopes they get more evidence against him?

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I think Frost should have insisted that Washington Redshirt this year.

Frost made a bold statement before he every coached a game @ Nebraska and I think he needed to back it up his fall. It should not matter if you are a star runback or a walk on linebacker.

Missing the first half aof a game is a punishment for being late to a team

“And I’ll tell you this right now — if there’s anything negative about women, if there’s anything racial or about sexuality, if there’s anything about guns or anything like that, we’re just not going to recruit you, period,” Frost said in July 2018. “Piece of advice for you — what you put on social media, that’s your résumé to the world. That’s what you’re trying to tell the world you’re all about. That’s how you’re advertising yourself. Be smart with that stuff.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...t-handling-maurice-washington-situation-2019/

Frost made a bold statement before he every coached a game @ Nebraska and I think he needed to back it up his fall. It should not matter if you are a star runback or a walk on linebacker.

“And I’ll tell you this right now — if there’s anything negative about women, if there’s anything racial or about sexuality, if there’s anything about guns or anything like that, we’re just not going to recruit you, period,” Frost said in July 2018. “Piece of advice for you — what you put on social media, that’s your résumé to the world. That’s what you’re trying to tell the world you’re all about. That’s how you’re advertising yourself. Be smart with that stuff.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebra...t-handling-maurice-washington-situation-2019/
Guilty until proven innocent then huh?

I tend to agree that there appears to be a double standard However he clearly states in that quote that this was for recruits. None of this was known, allegedly, to frost prior to Washington being enrolled at Nebraska. Once a player becomes a part of your team, the rules about not recruiting him are somewhat irrelevant.

With that said, I do not like the statement that This makes. If Washington is convicted or pleads guilty to a lesser crime, It puts Nebraska in a bad light because he played in games with charges pending

Is the fact that this is occurring during a bye week a coincidence?

Best possible timing for NU if it was going to occur in-season

Last edited:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing SF knows just a little bit more about this situation, as well as his own program, than Iowa fans do. JMO

Doesn’t he have a right to a speedy trial? Or have we totally forgot about the constitution? Ok most politicians actually have forgot about it.
Yeah, I remember on Perry Mason the murder was on Thursday, the hearing was on Monday, the trial was on Wednesday and by Friday Perry got someone no one suspected to cop to the crime. I guess those days are long gone.

Thanks for your input. Glad you are so interested.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I didn't follow the article. Are they saying a hearing is now set for Oct 17, or that on Oct 17 they are going to set a date?

There are lots of reasons for the prosecution to continue hearings and motions. The defense doesn't usually object in hopes of getting the charges reduced or dropped. Since Maurice is either out on bail or ROR, there's no hurry to take it to trial unless the defense believes the prosecution absolutely cannot meet its burden of proof.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm no lawyer but have known a few that defended clients that were involved in similar cases such as this. If the defendant has a high probability of being found guilty the lawyer seeks a delay/s in the case until higher profile cases come up for the prosecution to prepare for which of course also consumes more resources, meaning time and money the don't have infinite amounts of.

Another reason to seek a delay is when the defendant is waiting for a preferred judge to become available before going to trial.

My divorce lawyer became a judge who outlined what he was looking for when one of his clients was in trouble to give him the best chance to reach a favorable plea deal and avoiding a trial.

Reactions: badben44
I tend to agree that there appears to be a double standard However he clearly states in that quote that this was for recruits. None of this was known, allegedly, to frost prior to Washington being enrolled at Nebraska. Once a player becomes a part of your team, the rules about not recruiting him are somewhat irrelevant.

With that said, I do not like the statement that This makes. If Washington is convicted or pleads guilty to a lesser crime, It puts Nebraska in a bad light because he played in games with charges pending
I'll state that I think he should have been suspended for the full game, however he's already been punished and Frost said that's all there will be until the case is adjudicated. The courts will take their time to do what they need, I don't see any reason why the coaches have to follow their timeline or any reason why this would put Nebraska under a worse light than it already is from this situation.

I'll state that I think he should have been suspended for the full game, however he's already been punished and Frost said that's all there will be until the case is adjudicated. The courts will take their time to do what they need, I don't see any reason why the coaches have to follow their timeline or any reason why this would put Nebraska under a worse light than it already is from this situation.

Look at the grief Osborne took for Phillips and Phillips was suspended after the incident. Then throw in the quote about not recruiting players with sex or women issues and there will be talk. Right or wrong.

Reactions: cecilB
You really cant think the prosecutors are dragging this out in hopes they get more evidence against him?
My brother was a prosecutor for most of 40 years. One of my best friends for about 10 years and drinking buddy was a criminal defense attorney. I know how the game is played. The "wanting to talk to Washington on the phone" was clearly an attempt to gather more incriminating evidence. IF they would have had all they wanted or needed they would have just gotten an arrest warrant and charged him. In Washington's case as far as has been revealed the prosecutors don't have anything more than the stepmom and girl's word that the video was sent. They know that there was a communication from his phone but they supposedly initially deleted it so there's no physical evidence that he sent that specific video. Why should they hurry to prosecute him? Other than a PR goodie for the local prosecutor, this is small potatos for the court system. It's not like they found dozens of videos of under aged kids on his phone. ADD: I don't know for sure who asked for the delay. The defense could try to get multiple delays to get him past the football season but everything we've been led to believe is that they're trying to get this resolved as soon as possible. As far as the defense asking for "4 delays" as Tuco asserted, this is the first "delay" that I've seen. Everything else has proceeded in a normal manner as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Where have there already been 4 delays by his counsel out there?

February and March when he was still being represented by the Nebraska attorney and they thought this was no big deal and it would blow over May when they finally got a public defender, June when the PD said he needed more time for discovery. Not sure who delayed this one, but I don’t believe it is that big of a stretch to think it was the defense.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
February and March when he was still being represented by the Nebraska attorney and they thought this was no big deal and it would blow over May when they finally got a public defender, June when the PD said he needed more time for discovery. Not sure who delayed this one, but I don’t believe it is that big of a stretch to think it was the defense.
Bruning no doubt drug his feet but that wasn't a court delay. At that point Washington hadn't been charged. Dragging his feet might have worked if not for a new prosecutor taking office. Then it takes time for the courts to appoint a defender which is normal and not a stalling tactic. Then the public defender needs time to do discovery. That's all pretty normal.

Bruning no doubt drug his feet but that wasn't a court delay. At that point Washington hadn't been charged. Dragging his feet might have worked if not for a new prosecutor taking office. Then it takes time for the courts to appoint a defender which is normal and not a stalling tactic. Then the public defender needs time to do discovery. That's all pretty normal.

But none of that stuff equals what you wrote in the post that I replied to

Where you said - Prosecutors are in no hurry to take this to trial. They're waiting to see if he screws up. When the public sees what appears to be an open and shut case that prosecutors delay on it's almost always in hope the defendants provide them more evidence. He's not a flight risk or risk to the public so there's no rush to get him off the streets. Sometimes its the defense buying more time but I think in this case Washington would be most interested in getting a quick plea deal and have it over with.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
But none of that stuff equals what you wrote in the post that I replied to

Where you said - Prosecutors are in no hurry to take this to trial. They're waiting to see if he screws up. When the public sees what appears to be an open and shut case that prosecutors delay on it's almost always in hope the defendants provide them more evidence. He's not a flight risk or risk to the public so there's no rush to get him off the streets. Sometimes its the defense buying more time but I think in this case Washington would be most interested in getting a quick plea deal and have it over with.
So where's the "4 delays" the defense had already asked for that your referenced? I don't see any other than a request for a routine request for a newly appointed public defender to do discovery. Do you understand how the courts work? As I said, I don't know for sure who asked for THIS delay. You may be right. It might be the defense. It might have been mutual to try to negotiate a plead deal. In this case though, a public defender delaying just to delay does not seem logical or beneficial for his client unless he can hoodwink the judge in to delaying it until after the first of the year. On the other hand, I've seen local cases where the prosecutor delayed trials in hopes of being able to gather more evidence to use at trial.

Has been all along.

not one time, in any of the court hearings has their been a hint that the prosecution is asking for the delay.

The Nebraska attorney friend of Frost and Davison, Bruning, continues to be the attorney of record. Sometime around February 8th, he says Ball will be the new attorney of record. Another Nebraska attorney. Clearly still thinking this is just going to go away.

Washington decides to surrender on March 11 and an April 10 court date is given.

April 10, Washington appears in court.

May 13, Now realizing this isn't going to go away, Ball decides that it is now time to get a California lawyer and a PD is named.

June 12, The PD asks for a continuance because he needs to get familiar with the case. A July 25th date is set.

July 25, another continuance is granted, again, nothing I see says the prosecutor hasn't provided all the discovery or that the prosecution had asked for the continuance. New date Sept 3.

Sept 3 The lawyers involved are not able to pinpoint a day to discuss the evidence with the judge so it is continued again.

October 17. The lawyers will meet again to see if they can pinpoint a day to discuss the evidence. Then they will set a date to do that, I imagine sometime in November. IF there is enough evidence, they will then set a trial date.

Until that meeting takes place and the judge makes a decision on going forward, There will be no plea deal made. Unless the PD believes the evidence is substantial and he knows the judge will go forward.

Regardless, the prosecutor is not the one that wasted 3 months, from Feb to May. That was all Ball and Bruning.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
So where's the "4 delays" the defense had already asked for that your referenced? I don't see any other than a request for a routine request for a newly appointed public defender to do discovery. Do you understand how the courts work? As I said, I don't know for sure who asked for THIS delay. You may be right. It might be the defense. It might have been mutual to try to negotiate a plead deal. In this case though, a public defender delaying just to delay does not seem logical or beneficial for his client unless he can hoodwink the judge in to delaying it until after the first of the year. On the other hand, I've seen local cases where the prosecutor delayed trials in hopes of being able to gather more evidence to use at trial.

The PD took over the case in May, in June he asked for more time.

If there is no evidence that Washington committed a crime, why does he need more time?

This isn't rocket science. If the prosecutors have the the phone records, then the text is on the records. If they don't have the phone records, then they don't have a case and instead of asking for a continuance any lawyer worth is salt would have filed for dismissal. So clearly there is something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT