ADVERTISEMENT

Washington State head coach alleges tampering in transfer portal, NIL: ‘It’s stunning’

I absolutely guarantee you the evidence is on everyone’s cell phones. If the coaches, are state employees, using a university phone, then open records laws might make it easier to get access. But either way, the evidence exists - the trick is to get at it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ideally the schools will report it and the player should be punished.
And the school wants to piss off those parents/players and/or help out another school by ratting them out? I just don't think schools being contacted want to burn their bridges.

And what if the players or their parents are initiating the contact with the school because they're fishing for more NIL?
Also, let's say a player does contact NU without being in the portal. Then that player goes to let's say I_wa because the kid is stupid. If I am NU I blow the whistle on the kid. Maybe that is a bad PR move for NU though.

I agree with him, but awfully hard to prove or shall I say easy to avoid detection.

NIL brought the bagmen out of the shadows. Well done NCAA!

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Also, let's say a player does contact NU without being in the portal. Then that player goes to let's say I_wa because the kid is stupid. If I am NU I blow the whistle on the kid. Maybe that is a bad PR move for NU though.
There's just too much potential for retaliation IMO for schools to turn each other in for those kind of situations where a kid contacts them and then goes to another school.

I agree with him, but awfully hard to prove or shall I say easy to avoid detection.

NIL brought the bagmen out of the shadows. Well done NCAA!
The ncaa fought NIL with every resource it could bring to bear

States are the ones who finally allowed players to profit as any private citizen should be able

The “amateur athletics” moniker the ncaa invented and then hid behind in order to gross billions tax-free off unpaid labor is unconstitutional and will never be reinstated (nor should it)

Reactions: zrob
So what's going to be the enforcement mechanism? Do you have to have an NCAA police force than can cover so many schools? How are you going to prove a school called the parents or players if they don't cooperate? Not arguing for cheating, just pointing out that enforcement isn't that easy to cover so many schools when the perps involved have a mutual motivation to keep it all hidden.
This is typical NCAA. Make a rule and completely ignore enforcement or start an investigation that takes 5 years to complete. The NCAA is a political party that only wants to take your money and rob candy from your children The new president will not be any better than the previous ones, probably worse since he came from the swamp. The NCAA needs to go away forever and make college athletics what it is, a feeder system to professional leagues and Olympic competitions. Let the unions and universities fight over the money, give the streaming rights to a third party for distribution, and an enforcement agency to oversee the greed and corruption that accompanies all profitable ventures.

There's just too much potential for retaliation IMO for schools to turn each other in for those kind of situations where a kid contacts them and then goes to another school.
The stuff that went on with Cam Newton was chump change compared to what is somewhat legally going on now. There’s going to be a lot of animosity built up over these deals.

States are the ones who finally allowed players to profit as any private citizen should be able

The “amateur athletics” moniker the ncaa invented and then hid behind in order to gross billions tax-free off unpaid labor is unconstitutional and will never be reinstated (nor should it)
As someone who worked a work study job for 3$/ hour to try to pay a tiny fraction of my school costs, I’m not feeling too sorry for those athletes on a full ride.

As someone who worked a work study job for 3$/ hour to try to pay a tiny fraction of my school costs, I’m not feeling too sorry for those athletes on a full ride.
Good thing feelings have nothing to do with it

Btw - it was “illegal” for a student-athlete to work the same $3/hour job you did as a student up until 3 years ago

There should’ve never, ever been restrictions on athletes working in their own spare time, just like there should’ve never been a prohibition on a college kid doing an ad or anything just because they play sports

Absolute racket from the jump

Reactions: zrob
corruption that accompanies all profitable ventures.
Did you mean "ventures" or "vultures"?

If the NCAA had a leader like Jim Delaney the last 20 years who focused on what was good for the organization, athletes, and schools (rather than woke politics) the NCAA might still be relevant.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Did you mean "ventures" or "vultures"?

If the NCAA had a leader like Jim Delaney the last 20 years who focused on what was good for the organization, athletes, and schools (rather than woke politics) the NCAA might still be relevant.
The rape coverup guy? Hilarious

I’m recruiting you’d better be doing everything that’s legal and some things that aren’t

• Love
players don't really make that much yet, to get lawyers involved...

and it's not like they are going to do anything to someone breaking the law anymore...
expecially in lib big ten country...
I think you get a ticket for murdering folk in chicago now.

I wonder how much controll schools have over companies using their players, nil?
cause really isn't the player and the company using the schools nil?

College football is just the minor leagues for pro football for many college football players. Once NIL was allowed the genie came out of the bottle and no one can put the genie back in. What I think will happen is the NCAA will eventually go away and then you will see another type governing body take over and then the gloves come off.

The rich will get richer and the poorer will get poorer and "student athletes" as we've always viewed them will no longer be students looking for a degree but rather looking for cash and lots of it. The fact is college football is no longer the game we grew up with and loved, it's a new generation of non traditionist who run the show now like it or not. jmo
I agree with you 100%. NIL has forever altered the dynamics of college sports, and I'm still not convinced it's for the better. When Nick Saban comes out with concerns about the current system, people should listen; he can go the portal and probably get almost any player he wants, and he doesn't like it. I've always thought that if a coach left a college program, the players should also have been allowed to leave, without the aspect of sitting out a year; the current system is a free-for-all, and no one has any idea where how it will ultimately play out.

BUT how do the coaches prove it's going on if the parties involved keep the tampering to themselves? Coaches can have a lot of suspicions and make allegations but to be able to prove them is another thing. Are the coaches going to wiretap the phones of players and their parents?
That's why I said to name names IF you know it's happening

I don’t really care if a assistant at Michigan in our game mentioned to Earnest Hausmann that the Wolverines would be interested if he wanted to transfer. Firing Frost and assistants brought him and his family to the point of transferring. Relationships mattered most to this 2022 recruit staying in-state at first to a Scott Frost dumpster fire led head football coach of a once storied program of the previous latter century.

It is what it is and Nebraska with its own NIL and new head coaching regime will benefit and suffer some loses probably yearly. Hopefully, the ratio this year is a definite net gain across the board. He wanted to stay in-conference and hopefully in a few years we can make him think if i would have stayed in-state I would be a part of this success. I don’t care either way, its his life, but this sixth attempt at relevancy is at the most critical time in our football history.

If this well-researched, certain resume exhibited traits and planned experiment fails, the casual fan for Nebraska will be the norm. And the supposed stadium improvements and hundreds of millions in improvements will be debated for years on cost-benefit analysis for fans who have lost interest and wanting to pay premium seat price privileges for teams who don’t deserve it. Thank God this conference affiliation has football media rights alone about 20-30 million in excess for each member than any other conference than one. It is a club of two with such largesse.

Good thing feelings have nothing to do with it

Btw - it was “illegal” for a student-athlete to work the same $3/hour job you did as a student up until 3 years ago

There should’ve never, ever been restrictions on athletes working in their own spare time, just like there should’ve never been a prohibition on a college kid doing an ad or anything just because they play sports

Absolute racket from the jump
It's unbelievable how long they got away with it

Reactions: zrob and king_kong_

I am for all of it as long as you can send a kid packing before or after he gets to your institution if you have a better player and that said previous player isn’t cutting it. I am for student athletes making as much as they can make but no bullshit should be spewed from fans or kids if they commit or sign and then get axed at the 11th hour. Can’t have shit both ways either.

Reactions: zrob and redwine65
I am for all of it as long as you can send a kid packing before or after he gets to your institution if you have a better player and that said previous player isn’t cutting it. I am for student athletes making as much as they can make but no bullshit should be spewed from fans or kids if they commit or sign and then get axed at the 11th hour. Can’t have shit both ways either.
for the one billionth time:

NIL IS NOT PAY FOR PLAY

it is simply a side job. somehow find a way to compartmentalize the two

NIL IS NOT PAY FOR PLAY

I know what it is. My previous comment goes along with, student rights, transfer portal etc the whole scope.

if they enter the portal they break the contract, and the contracts are yearly

NIL IS NOT PAY FOR PLAY

I suppose technically you are right, but with the exception of Bryce Young, those side “jobs” are largely tied to the school the kid attends. Decoldest won’t continue his NIL deal when he leaves will he? So clearly it is tied to play and you just being obtuse arguing otherwise.

Most likely very true BUT what are you going to do constructively about it? Like it or not NIL and the transfer portal are here to stay because there's a new emphasis on giving players their rights driven by the legal system. You can impose more regulations on the process but then how do you enforce them?

It doesn't help the situation that rich schools are raking in the big bucks and coaches getting ever increasing salaries. Players want their piece of that pie.
A simple corrective action would be to bring back the rule you have to sit out a year. Less immediate benefit of tampering and the NIL receiving has to pay for a dead year to do so. You could even offer an exemption for any kid not receiving NIL at current school so only on scholarship, leaves kids free to move yet makes tampering a little less enticing.

Reactions: redwine65
A simple corrective action would be to bring back the rule you have to sit out a year. Less immediate benefit of tampering and the NIL receiving has to pay for a dead year to do so. You could even offer an exemption for any kid not receiving NIL at current school so only on scholarship, leaves kids free to move yet makes tampering a little less enticing.
I'm sure somebody will try to change the rules eventually but the question is what rule changes vs. player rights will hold up in court if any restrictive rules face a legal challenge. And I don't know that because I'm not a lawyer.

Tampering in pro sports is a big penalty and should be in NCAA
Like everything else in regards to NCAA violations, it would be hard to prove and the punishments would hardly ever be applied equally.

to all the "tampering in pro sports is a big penalty" people, can you please show your work?

last I checked the NBA and to some extent the NFL are player-first leagues that embrace tampering & if any penalty is ever levied it's a slap on the wrist

to all the "tampering in pro sports is a big penalty" people, can you please show your work?

last I checked the NBA and to some extent the NFL are player-first leagues that embrace tampering & if any penalty is ever levied it's a slap on the wrist
The NBA has significant tampering penalties in place, but doesn't enforce the rules:

Dolphins owner once got fined $1.5 million. Probably found most of it in his couch cushions, but they did also lose a couple of draft picks:

The ncaa is pissing down their leg. They are the dinosaur closing in on extinction. They cant stop anything and wont dare to fuk with the major conferences. The whiney bitch HC from Wash St needs to go back to the NAIA.

• Haha
Reactions: BigRedTed
NIL is pay, and we sure as hell hope you play. Ain't nobody making it rain with the thought "We don't care one way or the other if they ever play"

NIL IS NOT PAY FOR PLAY

Ha… and water is wet. If he doesn’t like it he better get out of the profession because there’s no going back now
Yeah, and you know that would be the part that sucks the worst. A lot of these guys went into the profession because they love coaching and teaching football. All of this other BS has to wear on a guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT