ADVERTISEMENT

Warren Sapp weighs in...

The last time Sapp saw Nebraska on the field he was huffing on an oxygen mask.
Go Big Red
Guessing not a lot of trash talking happening about now.

nsi-e1544040963525.jpg

Sapp literally said nothing. Interviewer is terrible.

Coach Sapp isn’t a coach. He doesn’t have a clue as to what he’s doing. He’s a “rah rah” guy. It’s full amateur hour there. They are fortunate to have Shadeur at QB. He’s an athletic specimen whose ability to scramble makes up for all the other shortcomings.

Imagine what their team would look like without him at QB.

Coach Prime at Colorado won’t work long term. They just don’t have enough structure and development to maximize the talent of the 3 and low 4 star kids they have.

When Shedeur graduates they are toast.

Does anyone else feel like Warren Sapp took this job because he didn’t have anything else better to do? WTH, let’s give this a shot (after a few beers)
Yes. He wasn't exactly the guy who was going to use his NFL earnings to start a bunch of successful businesses. He's basically just another Deion hanger-on at this point. Stark contrast to Knighton, who is a rising star.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
I've lived in Georgia for 31 years and coached youth football for part of the time as the only white guy with staffs that from a demeanor and attitude standpoint, were very similar to how these guys come off. It's a completely different mentality than what's at Nebraska or most of the programs in the Top 25 (hopefully we'll be there soon).

I'm not being critical because I had more fun coaching as the only white coach in a Black area of town than any other time I coached and am proud to still see and be friends with a lot of the people I coached with, as well as have relationships with players who are now grown men. These were probably the nicest and most genuine people I have ever coached with, far better than coaching in southern white culture which can be extremely selfish and dishonest.

The problem with their coaching approach (and trust me I had long discussions about this with my fellow coaches on this matter) is that it relies on the idea that your players either are or are perceived to be way more talented than the opposition. This worked for the most part against teams (with primarily white players) where we were able to overwhelm them with our speed and athleticism. But the problem was that when you got to the playoffs and met other teams who were both talented and far more formal in their approach, teams like us tended to fall apart at the first sign of adversity when they realized that they couldn't just "out-athlete" the other team.

Many of the players on my teams came from really bad households, ones that were poor and the kids didn't get much support. I took an 11 year old on my team home from practice one night and he couldn't get into his apartment. When I called the mother from the front door, she answered and was high. I went in with the kid and he hadn't eaten dinner yet, I looked in the frig and cupboards and all I saw was alcohol, but no food. I took the boy home with us and CPS took him away the next day. Another time, I had a boy break his lower leg in practice. I took him home to his 2 bedroom apartment where there was a mom, 2 siblings, a grandma, and an "uncle" living there. She, and I quote said "oh he's fine, no need to go see a doctor". I took him to the ER.

I know that this is too long, but my point is that a lot of these kids are from situations where they're always looking over the horizon for the next thing to go bad, then they fall apart, because of how they're being raised. I see the same mentality in the Colorado football program, these guys act just like my fellow coaches acted 20 years ago, and it's because that's who they are. Another thing that's similar, when I coached in this area of town, there were always people there who were hangers on, not real coaches, just guys that are playing around (i.e. Warren Sapp at Colorado).

Why did I coach there? 2 reasons. 1) as a public service (I also put a lot of money into it so kids could play), and 2) my children were better HS football players and became better men for seeing another side of things.

Last edited:
I've lived in Georgia for 31 years and coached youth football for part of the time as the only white guy with staffs that from a demeanor and attitude standpoint, were very similar to how these guys come off. It's a completely different mentality than what's at Nebraska or most of the programs in the Top 25 (hopefully we'll be there soon).

I'm not being critical because I had more fun coaching as the only white coach in a Black area of town than any other time I coached and am proud to still see and be friends with a lot of the people I coached with, as well as have relationships with players who are now grown men. These were probably the nicest and most genuine people I have ever coached with, far better than coaching in southern white culture which can be extremely selfish and dishonest.

The problem with their coaching approach (and trust me I had long discussions about this with my fellow coaches on this matter) is that it relies on the idea that your player either are or are perceived to be way more talented than the opposition. This worked for the most part against teams (with primarily white players) where we were able to overwhelm them with our speed and athleticism. But the problem was that when you got to the playoffs and met other teams who were both talented and far more formal in their approach, teams like us tended to fall apart at the first sign of adversity when they realized that they couldn't just "out-athlete" the other team.

Many of the players on my teams came from really bad households, ones that were poor and the kids didn't get much support. I took an 11 year old on my team home from practice one night and he couldn't get into his apartment. When I called the mother from the front door, she answered and was high. I went in with the kid and he hadn't eaten dinner yet, I looked in the frig and cupboards and all I saw was alcohol, but no food. I took the boy home with us and CPS took him away the next day. Another time, I had a boy break his lower leg in practice. I took him home to his 2 bedroom apartment where there was a mom, 2 siblings, a grandma, and an "uncle" living there. She, and I quote said "oh he's fine, no need to go see a doctor". I took him to the ER.

I know that this is too long, but my point is that a lot of these kids are from situations where they're always looking over the horizon for the next thing to go bad, then they fall apart, because of how they're being raised. I see the same mentality in the Colorado football program, these guys act just like my fellow coaches acted 20 years ago, and it's because that's who they are. Another thing that's similar, when I coached in this area of town, there were always people there who were hangers on around, not real coaches, just guys that are playing around (i.e. Warren Sapp at Colorado).

Why did I coach there? 2 reasons. 1) as a public service (I also put a lot of money into it so kids could play), and 2) my children were better HS football players and became better men for seeing another side of things.
Man it’s funny you posted this. I was going to post my own experiences with this in the AAU basketball scene. My incoming-freshman son plays on the national UnderArmour circuit and we have seen it all with coaches as he has come up. His first team was all black other than him and was the best team in the state. We didn’t even have jerseys with the team name on them. But we smoked everyone. Before the first game (we never even had a practice yet) the coach gathers the kids in a circle and goes “alright in defense we are going to full court press. Gary you are at the top. On offense just ball out”.

That was it. Then we proceeded to out athlete and out talent teams and won that first tourney by an average of 45 points. Won by 38 in the champ game. Went 34-1 that season and only lost to the #8 team in the country when they pressed us down 6 with 2 mins to go and our coach literally didn’t have a press breaker to install.

I’ve seen it in the black community. Guys hanging around to be part of it. Parents sending their kids off to play unorganized, barely coached teams. It’s too bad. But the parents don’t know any better and the slick selling recruiter knows what to say to get the kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT