ADVERTISEMENT

Walkons?

jnelsen040

Junior
Dec 26, 2011
Decatur tx
I posted this on the On3 board but also wanted to post here for discussion.

Why do we play with so many walkons? We’re in year 5 and our roster is has walkons everywhere. In the return game, on offense and defense and they play major roles on this team.

Is it lack of recruiting? We sign full classes so we should t have the holes to fill with these guys who had zero offers out of highschool. I know we have had our share of transfer but are the scholly kids leaving due to our obsession with the walkons?

Is it poor strength and conditioning that’s causing our talented scholarship players to regress to the same level of play as these walkons?

We were told how electric rahmir Johnson is and how he is a team player on special teams yet we don’t have him in the kick return game? We have our starting rb there but then we send a walkon back there who looks to want to call for a fair catch everytime.

We were told how loaded we are in the defensive secondary yet we have a walkon play on a crucial 3rd and long in a tight ball game and barely makes the stop.

We continue to use walkons at our skill positions on offense when we are loaded with talented playmakers.

I just don’t get it. I’ve wondered the last few years, how can we be this talented but below 500 in the win column and I think I’ve found the reason. We use so many fCS talented players who “play hard” but their hard effort just gets us close enough. Just like watching an fcs team play hard for 3 quarters but fall short due to talent gap.

I’m all for the small town walkon feel good story but I also want to win. Until we fill our 2 deep and special teams with recruited scholarship players, we will continue with this trend.

Hell look at OSU tonight. They’re starting wr just scored on a big pass play and then made a big stop on kickoff immediately after his touchdown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News