ADVERTISEMENT

Upsets during the Osborne years

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
Looking back it is amazing how those teams under Osborne simply took care of business against lesser teams - not many upsets

92 - Iowa state
84 - Syracuse

others?

78 - mizzou (although that was a pretty good team)

Reactions: Husker Hambone
Not sure if we were the fav or not, but I just watched a bowl game against FSU (pretty sure it was a Fiesta Bowl) that we completely pissed away. I think it was Steve Taylor's last game.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
At Iowa in 81. They preceded to lose the next week to ISU, then games to Minnesota and Illinois in conference. Got shut out in bowl game vs Washington. Want to think Hayden wasn’t going to let Iowa native Roger Craig beat them, so sold out to stuff the run.

There were just enough. However on the bright side, look it up, the NC literally went through Lincoln and NU every (most) years

Texas 1996
CU 1986
Didn't we lose to Wisconsin in the 70s?
Was at the 1986 Colorado game.. They had not beaten Nebraska since 1967 and their fan base stormed the field as fast as they could tearing down the goal post that day..

Majority of the fan base knows that Iowa St in 92 was the only losing team Osborne lost to during his 25 years at Nebraska..

One of Osborne biggest losses was to Syracuse in 1984 after beating UCLA 42-7 ( I was at this game, my first of 5 games in Pasadena) Nebraska was a heavy favorite and ranked #1 in the country and the year before beat Syracuse 63-7.. It was one of the worst played game by any of Osborne’s teams I have ever seen that day losing 3 turnovers and only managing a little over 200 yards of total offense…

In thee Brass Rail bar on O street in Lincoln there is part of a goal post, what game is that from?

At Iowa in 81. They preceded to lose the next week to ISU, then games to Minnesota and Illinois in conference. Got shut out in bowl game vs Washington. Want to think Hayden wasn’t going to let Iowa native Roger Craig beat them, so sold out to stuff the run.
The Iowa loss was a major upset as Iowa's program had not had any recent success. But the next year, we beat them something like 56-7.

Lost to Wazzu (coached by Warren Powers) in 1977. The next game, Nebraska beat Alabama.
That Washington State loss was a shocker at the time. But they did have the "Throwin' Samoan" Jack Thompson at QB and we may have had some players looking ahead to the Alabama game.

Reactions: WC_'sker
I was thinking of that loss to Kansas in…and Kansas State in…

02ecd70e-0dc6-4c57-a532-02a9368afccd_text.gif

That Washington State loss was a shocker at the time. But they did have the "Throwin' Samoan" Jack Thompson at QB and we may have had some players looking ahead to the Alabama game.
That was a shocker. I was a freshman at UNL at the time and was at that game. Depressing as hell. Fortunately, the very next week, as you mention, we turned around and beat Alabama with the Bear on the sidelines. Rick Berns and I.M. Hipp had good games.

Reactions: WC_'sker
Looking back it is amazing how those teams under Osborne simply took care of business against lesser teams - not many upsets

92 - Iowa state
84 - Syracuse

others?

78 - mizzou (although that was a pretty good team)
Yes that 1878 Missouri team had a lot of nfl talent they just under achieved ex against Nebraska who was emotionally spent from beating ou the week before

miami in 83 was the worse.
to carry #1 all season then give it to them in their back yards on new years night...
did'nt seem right

Reactions: Baxter48
Not sure if we were the fav or not, but I just watched a bowl game against FSU (pretty sure it was a Fiesta Bowl) that we completely pissed away. I think it was Steve Taylor's last game.
If I remember right we got burned when FSU picked up a 3rd and 35 or something ridiculous like that. I think they had 2 of those 3rd or 4th and forever distances they picked up.

A game NU lost but probably should have won.

If I remember right we got burned when FSU picked up a 3rd and 35 or something ridiculous like that. I think they had 2 of those 3rd or 4th and forever distances they picked up.

A game NU lost but probably should have won.

We also fumbled inside the 5 with like 6 or 7 min left where a TD basically ends it.

Lost to Wisconsin 21-20 , in 1974. My insurance Agent , Greg Bohlig was the Wisconsin QB
My buddy, George Kyros was the DB who got beat late and NU couldn't overcome it. George was all of 5'10" and 170. Helluva player for his size.

Majority of the fan base knows that Iowa St in 92 was the only losing team Osborne lost to during his 25 years at Nebraska..

One of Osborne biggest losses was to Syracuse in 1984 after beating UCLA 42-7 ( I was at this game, my first of 5 games in Pasadena) Nebraska was a heavy favorite and ranked #1 in the country and the year before beat Syracuse 63-7.. It was one of the worst played game by any of Osborne’s teams I have ever seen that day losing 3 turnovers and only managing a little over 200 yards of total offense…
I "think" Tom Rathman got knocked out on the opening kickoff.

Taylor also hit a 56 yard pass to the FSU 2 on the ensuing drive....called back for someone not lining up right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT