ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Player Weights

It’s easy, if a player truly weighs 193 they might say 195 or even jump it to 200. I really doubt...let’s use Tyjon Lindsey...weighs 180 and then claims 200. They tend to round to the nearest 5...maybe even 6 or 7. Lindsey is probably 190’s and just rounding it to 200. Same with Gebbia...he’s probably 192 or 193 or barely clipping the 190 mark. Frost claimed the ONLY thing he was worried about with Gebbia was the weight. He felt Gebbia had the speed and could run plenty good enough for his liking and of course Frost will love his arm....probably the best passer we have on the team.
You keep saying Gebbia's our best passer, but there's not much actual proof. And as far as this offense is concerned, it requires a different skill set from the qb. Maybe Gebbia is more accurate on the medium level NFL style routes, but this offense doesn't use a lot of that. We need a qb that can make quick accurate passes toward the sideline and also be able to hit the receiver in stride on seam routes. Above all we need a qb that can process information quickly and determine where to go with the ball. That's what Frost's offense is all about.

Contrary to what's been posted on here a lot, Frost is going to choose his qb based on passing ability and who can make the throws needed in this offense. Running ability is a secondary concern, although I think both qb's have enough running ability to be able to run the offense, Martinez is obviously the better runner. Martinez is also probably the better passer for this offense as well.

The Brown Mound of Rebound Charles Barkley was always listed 6'6 and 6'7 but barely is 6'4. If anyone has ever seen Tyjon in person he is nowhere close to 200lbs.

Basketball heights seem the most volatile. I played with a couple of D-I recruits over the past year and their listed heights and reality are far from the same.

You keep saying Gebbia's our best passer, but there's not much actual proof. And as far as this offense is concerned, it requires a different skill set from the qb. Maybe Gebbia is more accurate on the medium level NFL style routes, but this offense doesn't use a lot of that. We need a qb that can make quick accurate passes toward the sideline and also be able to hit the receiver in stride on seam routes. Above all we need a qb that can process information quickly and determine where to go with the ball. That's what Frost's offense is all about.

Contrary to what's been posted on here a lot, Frost is going to choose his qb based on passing ability and who can make the throws needed in this offense. Running ability is a secondary concern, although I think both qb's have enough running ability to be able to run the offense, Martinez is obviously the better runner. Martinez is also probably the better passer for this offense as well.

And there’s no proof he isn’t. Come on dude, Gebbia doesn’t have Martinez legs, he’s keeping it neck and neck with Martinez with his looks?? He’s got the arm, always has and always will. In no sense am I saying A Martinez has a shit arm, he can throw the ball well too. Gebbia just has the edge in that area. Unlike some of you, I haven’t thrown in the towel on this other 4 star QB that ever single college wanted: Gebbia. Dudes got skills and can be ever bit as dangerous as Martinez. Again, what do you think is keeping it a close QB battle if not his arm...??? I’ll wait for your answer. And forgive me if I don’t hand Martinez the Best of everything catogojust yet. Like I said before, I wouldn’t be sad or but hurt if Martinez or Gebbia won the QB battle. I’m 100% open to BOTH. I’m not hung up on just one QBs nuts.

And there’s no proof he isn’t. Come on dude, Gebbia doesn’t have Martinez legs, he’s keeping it neck and neck with Martinez with his looks?? He’s got the arm, always has and always will. In no sense am I saying A Martinez has a shit arm, he can throw the ball well too. Gebbia just has the edge in that area. Unlike some of you, I haven’t thrown in the towel on this other 4 star QB that ever single college wanted: Gebbia. Dudes got skills and can be ever bit as dangerous as Martinez. Again, what do you think is keeping it a close QB battle if not his arm...??? I’ll wait for your answer. And forgive me if I don’t hand Martinez the Best of everything catogojust yet. Like I said before, I wouldn’t be sad or but hurt if Martinez or Gebbia won the QB battle. I’m 100% open to BOTH. I’m not hung up on just one QBs nuts.
But but but Martinez ran for some TDs in the Spring Game. If a player has a good Spring Game, he's definitely going to start and win lots of awards.

Best Regards,
Zach Darlington and Wyatt Mazour

There's also no proof that Gebbia is "neck and neck" with Martinez.

Here is what we know for sure: Martinez is much bigger, much faster, a better runner, and is the one QB recruit that Scott Frost wanted more than any other. We also know that Gebbia can really sling it, he seems to be mobile enough to succeed in the offense, has got great intangibles, will outwork the competition in the film room, that he was recruited by another staff but that Frost likes him enough to have him host the other QB recruits.

Here is what we don't know: How healthy is Martinez's shoulder, can Gebbia take a few big hits and bounce back up, and how will either guy perform when it is 4th quarter in the big house on prime time at night.

Only one guy will be able to start the first game. I expect Martinez to win the job, but i am convinced that we are going to need BOTH GUYS over the next few years.

Here is what we know for sure: Martinez is much bigger, much faster, a better runner, and is the one QB recruit that Scott Frost wanted more than any other. We also know that Gebbia can really sling it, he seems to be mobile enough to succeed in the offense, has got great intangibles, will outwork the competition in the film room, that he was recruited by another staff but that Frost likes him enough to have him host the other QB recruits.

Here is what we don't know: How healthy is Martinez's shoulder, can Gebbia take a few big hits and bounce back up, and how will either guy perform when it is 4th quarter in the big house on prime time at night.

Only one guy will be able to start the first game. I expect Martinez to win the job, but i am convinced that we are going to need BOTH GUYS over the next few years.
I will never understand where people get this idea that a guy being 10 pounds heavier than another guy somehow makes him more able to take a bunch of big hits. Do people think Crouch was playing at 230 or something?

I will never understand where people get this idea that a guy being 10 pounds heavier than another guy somehow makes him more able to take a bunch of big hits. Do people think Crouch was playing at 230 or something?

Point taken, but if you have more muscle.. you body can generally absorb more punishment. Some little guys are freaks like Danny Woodhead.. some bigger guys can't stay healthy.

Sure, Crouch was not playing at 230, but he also did not stay healthy. He kept playing, but was never healthy at the end of the season. He had to get shoulder surgery every offseason due to the pounding he took.

Muscle weighs more than fat...
The heaviest and probably leanest I've ever been was at a time when I was skipping lunch 3x/week going to a Y playing basketball and lifting between pickup games. I put on 10 lbs of muscle in a few months and that wasn't doing much more than 20 minutes of lifting 3x/week.

Reactions: red rover 70
Well like I said, I think Frost is going to put a lot more emphasis on passing ability than the running ability of the qb. Frost's offense lives or dies by making the throws necessary to make the offense work, which means the qb must perfect screen passes as well as the seam routes. That's the bread and butter of Frost's offense. Sure running ability is nice to have, but it's not nearly as important as making the right throws in this offense. If it is in fact a tight qb race as you say, Gebbia's passing ability is not head and shoulders above Martinez, and Martinez might actually be the better passer in Frost's offense.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat.

Ten lbs of muscle and ten pounds of fat both weigh ten pounds. A dude who is 300 and all far will be round a dude who is 300 and lean muscle will not be.

I'm counting these weights as the first real mystery of the frost era. I can see him wanting to egg the guys on or pad the margin a bit for the opponents who bother to look but some of these defy reality unless you are a really unpracticed liar. I would have expected a little bit closer fudging if you will

Reactions: bloodredd
Crouch was amazing with the amount of punishment he took.

Reactions: GILL T
Jammal Lord says hi
I loved how Jammal Lord played QB like a LB. I also attended a game where he rolled out to the right and overthrew Darren Dietrick by ten yards on a five yard pass. The linebacker broke off Dietrick and ran at Lord, and there was about fifty yards of green turf in front of Dietrick. Lord could have sky hooked a pass to him and probably get a TD. It was an incompletion, and not even close. Dude would have been a great safety if not for Carl Crawford.

The way I can tell that it's Martinez's job to lose at this point is everytime anyone is asked about the QBs the first person they talk about is Adrian Martinez. You wouldn't do that if he was a backup.

I rarely hear or read about the coaches mentioning names, unless they are asked about a specific player. The only hint I have heard or seen, from this staff, concerning the status of the QB position, was this week when Frost used the words both and two.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat.

Ten lbs of muscle and ten pounds of fat both weigh ten pounds. A dude who is 300 and all far will be round a dude who is 300 and lean muscle will not be.

I'm counting these weights as the first real mystery of the frost era. I can see him wanting to egg the guys on or pad the margin a bit for the opponents who bother to look but some of these defy reality unless you are a really unpracticed liar. I would have expected a little bit closer fudging if you will
I think the point being made is that by VOLUME muscle weighs more than fat meaning a player can stay relatively the same size but weigh more. I don't doubt the veracity of the new weights listed one bit. As Duval stated, it was going to be easy to make very rapid gains in the weight room due to the level the guys were starting at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT