ADVERTISEMENT

up by 11 points, onside kick,

Point shaving is the only way it makes sense. Frost’s “explanation” makes the least sense of all. “Thought we were the better team”??? If you’re the better team, kick the damn ball off and beat them at a regular game of football.

In nearly every single situation ever, the WORSE team or the LOSING team is the one who needs to take risks, go for it on 4th, kick onside, pull out trick plays, throwing a Hail Mary. Low percentage plays that you’re just throwing against the wall hoping you catch an unlikely break. I just don’t buy that any coach making millions of dollars a year is actually that stupid when every f**%#ing fan over the age of 15 would never have done that. It’s just too stupid to be real and it looked like the entire team quit the second that happened. Would’ve been tough not to.

He smelled blood in the water and went for the jugular.

Successful and he's a genius 👏

Fail and you're an idiot.

Frost let his emotions get the best of him or he knew we needed something big to happen because he maybe knew we were in trouble. I don't know. But it was definitely the difference maker of the game

Mush Mushy GIF - Mush Mushy GIFs

We've been mushed boys...

You know I have had time to think about it. Mybe he knew his guys in the trenches where hurting. Out of shape and he knew they where already tired. Don’t forget the long run the guy had when they turned it over from the helmet hit on the ball.
That is scarier then hiding the call as dumb. He knew they where out maned in the trenches and was trying to buy the D a longer rest.

well you asked to try and make sense of it.
but I do have covid and have brain fog. Ha ha

You know I have had time to think about it. Mybe he knew his guys in the trenches where hurting. Out of shape and he knew they where already tired. Don’t forget the long run the guy had when they turned it over from the helmet hit on the ball.
That is scarier then hiding the call as dumb. He knew they where out maned in the trenches and was trying to buy the D a longer rest.

Except he gave his defense a short field to defend and northwestern scored in like a minute

Frost let his emotions get the best of him or he knew we needed something big to happen because he maybe knew we were in trouble. I don't know. But it was definitely the difference maker of the game

He would have been lucky not a genius.

Only an idiot does what he did.

If I was Scott Frost after this game and throwing Whipple under the bus on the first game, I could not come to work on Monday and resign. I couldn't pretend anymore.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It could be that Frost thinks every programs’ special teams units are complete clusterf—-s, just like his have been most years.

Was on the radio earlier that Scott wanted wanted a big Play.

frost called the onside kick.

****in ducttape his ass to a chair and face

It doesn’t make sense to me or anyone else I’ve talked with.

Maybe he was confused and thought we were down by 11 with only 5 minutes left in the game?

make it make sense....
It was ONE PLAY, it wasn't a turnover, pick six, etc. It gave up maybe 30 yards of field position, that's it. Have some perspective. It's not why we lost the game. Our defense basically got dominated the WHOLE DAY by NORTHWESTERN! Over 500 yards of offense. The only thing the onside kick did was probably detracted 30 yards from their total offense stat. That's what makes sense.

It was ONE PLAY, it wasn't a turnover, pick six, etc. It gave up maybe 30 yards of field position, that's it. Have some perspective. It's not why we lost the game. Our defense basically got dominated the WHOLE DAY by NORTHWESTERN! Over 500 yards of offense. The only thing the onside kick did was probably detracted 30 yards from their total offense stat. That's what makes sense.
so we lost by 3 points.....and were up by 11...till frost trashed the momentum...

so, again, make it make sense..

In football if the other team gets the ball on your 40

They score at least 75% of the time.

They needed 5 yards for a field goal you are clueless.

Not so much driving 80 yards.

And momentum is a real thing.

Do you even watch football.

This. My take on it is he knew our defense was playing like a bunch of overhyped wimps. He saw what we all saw: Northwestern doing whatever it wanted to do on offense. We were up by 11 and had momentum. And nobody was expecting the onside kick so there was a big element of surprise.
But it was still a stupid call. Onside kicks are low percentage plays, even with the element of surprise. And if your defense sucks then make the offense drive the whole field, not half of it.

This. My take on it is he knew our defense was playing like a bunch of overhyped wimps. He saw what we all saw: Northwestern doing whatever it wanted to do on offense. We were up by 11 and had momentum. And nobody was expecting the onside kick so there was a big element of surprise.
But it was still a stupid call. Onside kicks are low percentage plays, even with the element of surprise. And if your defense sucks then make the offense drive the whole field, not half of it.
and then it's a 4 point game and thompson starts forcing throws..interception....

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
For me, it would make sense if the D was playing lights out. If you're confident your D can hold them up or at the very least make them draw out a drive and burn some time, sure, I get it. Go for the jugular.

But given the success rate of onside kicks and our porous D, I was and still am flabbergasted. It was the kind of thing I'd do screwing around playing on my Xbox.

The kick itself wasn't good which didn't help either. Went straight to an RB on their kickoff team IIRC.

Successful wouldn't have made it genius. It was stupid even if they recover and score a touchdown.

As was mentioned on the board Saturday, even if it works, it is a poor decision. There was no way the payoff was worth the risk. If it worked, our jaws would have dropped at the stupidity/hubris of the decision, and the remarkable dumb luck that it worked. Similar to the dumb luck we got when NW had 12 men on the field and we got another crack at 3rd and goal from the 1.

I believe it was Chatelain that compared it to the Illinois game a few years ago when NU could have taken a knee and essentially ran out the clock; but instead threw an incompletion which stopped the clock and gave Illinois the ball back with time for the winning drive.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. It is unforgiveable.

Point shaving is the only way it makes sense. Frost’s “explanation” makes the least sense of all. “Thought we were the better team”??? If you’re the better team, kick the damn ball off and beat them at a regular game of football.

In nearly every single situation ever, the WORSE team or the LOSING team is the one who needs to take risks, go for it on 4th, kick onside, pull out trick plays, throwing a Hail Mary. Low percentage plays that you’re just throwing against the wall hoping you catch an unlikely break. I just don’t buy that any coach making millions of dollars a year is actually that stupid when every f**%#ing fan over the age of 15 would never have done that. It’s just too stupid to be real and it looked like the entire team quit the second that happened. Would’ve been tough not to.
It's seriously that or cte. Zero other explanation at this point...

In football if the other team gets the ball on your 40

They score at least 75% of the time.

They needed 5 yards for a field goal you are clueless.

Not so much driving 80 yards.

And momentum is a real thing.

Do you even watch football.
This it! If you recover, you still have to go 60 + yards to score! 3rd Qt? This play cost the game! Momentum swung in their favor! Of course Pat F. said it was a good call! After the play Northwestern was doing jumping jacks! A gift, that Scott keep on giving! A fool!

This it! If you recover, you still have to go 60 + yards to score! 3rd Qt? This play cost the game! Momentum swung in their favor! Of course Pat F. said it was a good call! After the play Northwestern was doing jumping jacks! A gift, that Scott keep on giving! A fool!
And if you recover the onside kick, what if you throw a int or fumble the first play, what if you go three and out and punt? Then You have northwestern gaining the momentum again, there are way too many negatives to do it that early in the second half

I can’t erase that call from my brain either. Even if it’s recovered, not much is gained. But so very much could and was lost. We weren’t playing Bama for christs sake. All of the pressure to become one dimensional was in Northwestern. We erased both the urgency and the immediate pressure.
Cowboys running that ball to end the game in the playoffs is the only other similarly mind numbing decision that comes to mind. And Frosts was much much…..MUCH worse.

It's the arrogance of Frost wanting to put his finger prints on this game. Trev neutered him and this way is his way to be involved. Head scratching for a coach, coaching for his job. But It was like a huge middle finger to the administration, fans and his own team.

The sooner he is gone the better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT