ADVERTISEMENT

Univ of Mizzou update

The problem is poverty. Neither party has a real solution.

Take a bunch of people in poverty and shove them together in a small place, and you get crime and violence. Cities have always been this way.

Rural poverty brings other problems. The conservatives in charge there haven't been able to fix that either.
Government can't fix it. Period. The problem is that government has made it worse by rewarding irresponsible behavior. All of the good intentions of liberals over the past 50+ years have had horrible unintended consequences. I saw a statistic a few years ago that a single mother with one child would have to make over $50,000/year to equal all of the freebies from the government. Free housing. Free food. Free healthcare. Free smart phones. I still use a flip phone because of it's cost and it's durability. I sat next to a couple of Native American kids who looked to be about 3 and 9 in the waiting room of a clinic the other day and they BOTH were surfing the web and playing games on smart phones and no they weren't dressed like mom had a job. At some point we have to say if you want it you have to earn it.

Government can't fix it. Period. The problem is that government has made it worse by rewarding irresponsible behavior. All of the good intentions of liberals over the past 50+ years have had horrible unintended consequences. I saw a statistic a few years ago that a single mother with one child would have to make over $50,000/year to equal all of the freebies from the government. Free housing. Free food. Free healthcare. Free smart phones. I still use a flip phone because of it's cost and it's durability. I sat next to a couple of Native American kids who looked to be about 3 and 9 in the waiting room of a clinic the other day and they BOTH were surfing the web and playing games on smart phones and no they weren't dressed like mom had a job. At some point we have to say if you want it you have to earn it.
How. Dare. You.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

RACIST!!!!!

Interesting how the phone was too nice for you but the clothes weren't nice enough. No balance in your mind, not, "Saved enough money on clothes to afford a decent phone." It was, "Bad clothes = you're poor. Nice phone = you're poor and spending a bunch of money. Therefore you're stupid with money, so it's your fault that you're poor."

That talking point about phones needs to die. You can get a smart phone for $10-20 a month on a plan from just about any provider. I have a huge, fancy looking smartphone, it cost $150 and my cell phone bill is $20. You know nothing about what I spend based on your perception of whether my phone is nice or not.

When you're poor, you aren't an iPhone away from making it. You're either gonna be poor and not allow yourself so much as a decent cup or coffee or a decent phone, or you're gonna be poor and allow yourself a small luxury or two. What, like you save a couple hundred on the cheaper phone and then retire on that fat stack of cash? Come off that. You can't "crappy stuff" your way to being rich. At some point you gotta be earning life-changing money to be investing thousands per year if you're going to retire well-off.

And don't bother arguing that point with me, play with a retirement calculator. You'll see it's a fact.

Here's what I don't get. Why are the same people who want people off benefits also the ones pissing on people who try to organize for better wages?

There is no collection of conclusive data that says raising the minimum wage hurts anything. But people are DYING to say that it does. Why? Do you want them off benefits or not?

Not everyone can just up and get a better job, that's not how jobs work. The jobs that exist are the ones that are needed, you don't just wave a wand and upgrade millions of people to management. The world needs more grunts than anything else, always has, probably always will. Some people are born stupid and won't ever be anything but a low-level worker. Made in God's image, weren't they? Isn't that what we're taught?

So you say the grunt shouldn't get benefits, they should earn a living. They go, "OK, but the world needs grunts, so the company is making billions in profits, we're gonna organize for better pay." Then people go, "AWWW EFF YOU! YOU DON'T DESERVE THAT KIND OF MONEY!!!"

You can't have it both ways. You cut off their support and you'll drive them to get sick, die, steal, hustle. You think they're just gonna politely starve somewhere you don't have to look at? You gotta pay for the ER, coroner, police, prison when they do. But people don't think about that cost. They scream and piss their pants about 4% more for a Big Mac or .12 more for a Papa John's pizza. Thought you wanted them off benefits?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buc-N-Husker
Did anyone get pastvthe 2nd paragraph of that post? Me neither.
Congratulations on your unwillingness to read. You must have an impressive collection of books you've never bothered with.

Maybe we've identified the reason people are unaware of so many basic facts about the issues they're so opinionated on...they don't read...

Reactions: Buc-N-Husker
Really? You think this is about politics?

Wasn't Nebraska a Republican led state both in Governor's office and legislature in 2012 and for many years before that? Yet the crime stats are worse in Nebraska as a whole as compared to other places. This is especially stunning when one realizes there is far less urbanization in Nebraska as compared to other states.
Did I make any such argument? I was simply making a statement a fact regarding what he posted, I didn't make arguments or any statement otherwise. I was simply stating the fact that he was using Omaha as an example of a "Republican-run city", and using that graph to make a point about crime rates in said "Republican-run city" when in fact during the time period of the graph he posted, it wasn't a "Republican-run city". If you're going to use data to back up an argument you're making, at least make sure the data actually matches the argument you're trying to make.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Congratulations on your unwillingness to read. You must have an impressive collection of books you've never bothered with.

Maybe we've identified the reason people are unaware of so many basic facts about the issues they're so opinionated on...they don't read...

This coming from a guy who just wrote way too long of a post about prejudice and assumptions. Interesting.

Maybe it wasn't about what you said as much as how long it took you to say it. Could it be? Nah. If I don't want to spend my time reading your bloviated ideas, it has to be because I don't read and am unaware of facts.

The words arrogant and pompous are dancing in my head for some reason.

Did I make any such argument? I was simply making a statement a fact regarding what he posted, I didn't make arguments or any statement otherwise. I was simply stating the fact that he was using Omaha as an example of a "Republican-run city", and using that graph to make a point about crime rates in said "Republican-run city" when in fact during the time period of the graph he posted, it wasn't a "Republican-run city". If you're going to use data to back up an argument you're making, at least make sure the data actually matches the argument you're trying to make.
OK...you helped with a mistake that really wasn't his argument. I didn't realize you were just pointing out a mistake. His argument was that it doesn't matter who is in charge. He said, "The issues are much deeper than what color tie the guy at the mayor's desk wears."

Reactions: jeans15
Interesting how the phone was too nice for you but the clothes weren't nice enough. No balance in your mind, not, "Saved enough money on clothes to afford a decent phone." It was, "Bad clothes = you're poor. Nice phone = you're poor and spending a bunch of money. Therefore you're stupid with money, so it's your fault that you're poor."

That talking point about phones needs to die. You can get a smart phone for $10-20 a month on a plan from just about any provider. I have a huge, fancy looking smartphone, it cost $150 and my cell phone bill is $20. You know nothing about what I spend based on your perception of whether my phone is nice or not.

When you're poor, you aren't an iPhone away from making it. You're either gonna be poor and not allow yourself so much as a decent cup or coffee or a decent phone, or you're gonna be poor and allow yourself a small luxury or two. What, like you save a couple hundred on the cheaper phone and then retire on that fat stack of cash? Come off that. You can't "crappy stuff" your way to being rich. At some point you gotta be earning life-changing money to be investing thousands per year if you're going to retire well-off.

And don't bother arguing that point with me, play with a retirement calculator. You'll see it's a fact.

Here's what I don't get. Why are the same people who want people off benefits also the ones pissing on people who try to organize for better wages?

There is no collection of conclusive data that says raising the minimum wage hurts anything. But people are DYING to say that it does. Why? Do you want them off benefits or not?

Not everyone can just up and get a better job, that's not how jobs work. The jobs that exist are the ones that are needed, you don't just wave a wand and upgrade millions of people to management. The world needs more grunts than anything else, always has, probably always will. Some people are born stupid and won't ever be anything but a low-level worker. Made in God's image, weren't they? Isn't that what we're taught?

So you say the grunt shouldn't get benefits, they should earn a living. They go, "OK, but the world needs grunts, so the company is making billions in profits, we're gonna organize for better pay." Then people go, "AWWW EFF YOU! YOU DON'T DESERVE THAT KIND OF MONEY!!!"

You can't have it both ways. You cut off their support and you'll drive them to get sick, die, steal, hustle. You think they're just gonna politely starve somewhere you don't have to look at? You gotta pay for the ER, coroner, police, prison when they do. But people don't think about that cost. They scream and piss their pants about 4% more for a Big Mac or .12 more for a Papa John's pizza. Thought you wanted them off benefits?

I will strongly disagree with your comment about raising minimum wage. I have a very close family member who has a Doctorate in Economics/Statistics and has done several studies that lasted over 15 years to prove that minimum wage increase will actually hurt workers because they earn less hours and employers cut jobs. His studies are verified and have been used by both sides of the isle.

I would also supply you with this story but I doubt you will say its true because of where it comes from. I respect your opinion and will not vilify you or call you names. We will just agree to disagree on many issues. http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...-recipients-to-work-and-the-results-dont-lie/

I will strongly disagree with your comment about raising minimum wage. I have a very close family member who has a Doctorate in Economics/Statistics and has done several studies that lasted over 15 years to prove that minimum wage increase will actually hurt workers because they earn less hours and employers cut jobs. His studies are verified and have been used by both sides of the isle.

I would also supply you with this story but I doubt you will say its true because of where it comes from. I respect your opinion and will not vilify you or call you names. We will just agree to disagree on many issues. http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...-recipients-to-work-and-the-results-dont-lie/
Don't need a doctorate to realize that. Everyone with a shred of common sense realized what would happen. Look at the hippie capital Portland. Multiple studies show how employers have cut minimum wage earners hours.
But back to Mizzery, they reap what they sow.
So now back to sticking it to the man and having your hand in someone elses pockets.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Don't need a doctorate to realize that. Everyone with a shred of common sense realized what would happen. Look at the hippie capital Portland. Multiple studies show how employers have cut minimum wage earners hours.
But back to Mizzery, they reap what they sow.
So now back to sticking it to the man and having your hand in someone elses pockets.
Even Basic economic formulas will show the effect of raising the minimum wage, it will not have desired results and hurts those who make just more thn the m.w. with what amounts to a paycut...we are talking skilled labor jobs. Price increases will hurt the impoverished more than anyone to boot! The things they buy, inferior goods, will see the greatest inflation. Then rioting the next day for higher wages, and a politician there smiling about all the votes hes about to get.

Even Basic economic formulas will show the effect of raising the minimum wage, it will not have desired results and hurts those who make just more thn the m.w. with what amounts to a paycut...we are talking skilled labor jobs. Price increases will hurt the impoverished more than anyone to boot! The things they buy, inferior goods, will see the greatest inflation. Then rioting the next day for higher wages, and a politician there smiling about all the votes hes about to get.

The conservative dream of kicking everyone off government support isn't likely to lead to great outcomes either.

The crux of Beav's argument (which most people evidently never got to, because reading one post for 30 seconds is too draining) is that there aren't enough jobs that pay enough for all of those people to live on. Those jobs won't magically appear just because a bunch of people are now "taking responsibility".

The more things are automated, the farther we move from a society where we need everyone to work. There are fewer and fewer jobs available to "grunts", and especially few that pay enough to support a family on. But there will always be a lot of grunts, and they're going to have families.

So what do we do with them?

Reactions: TheBeav815
The conservative dream of kicking everyone off government support isn't likely to lead to great outcomes either.

The crux of Beav's argument (which most people evidently never got to, because reading one post for 30 seconds is too draining) is that there aren't enough jobs that pay enough for all of those people to live on. Those jobs won't magically appear just because a bunch of people are now "taking responsibility".

The more things are automated, the farther we move from a society where we need everyone to work. There are fewer and fewer jobs available to "grunts", and especially few that pay enough to support a family on. But there will always be a lot of grunts, and they're going to have families.

So what do we do with them?
There is plenty of work for grunts. Skilled labor and even certain fields of unskilled are not only facing a shortage but are offering good money.
It is absolutely not my dream to be kicking everybody off government support. People legitimately need it. And its a lot of people.
But if you think the monstrosity that is entitlement spending in this nation is relative to the amount of people that literally cant work, or that the giant jump in food stamps under Obama was relative to actual need, then there is no point in us even having a debate about this because you will refuse to see hard truths.
I suggest people take advantage of all the great qualities of American opportunity instead of relying on American safety nets and then wondering why you cant just sit on your ass and be rich.
(Here comes absolute meltdown over bootstraps-like comment...how dare I)

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT