ADVERTISEMENT

Two Favorite Nebraska Bowl Wins (National Champions Excluded)

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Which Two Nebraska bowl wins did you enjoy more than some of the other Wins?

Depending on your age you need to have seen the game on TV or in person...

Devaney- 1973 Orange Bowl beating Notre Dame 40-6
Osborne-1987 Sugar Bowl beating #5 LSU 30-15

Last edited:
Reactions: tyrusraymondcobb

Wow, good question... tough to answer as I love them all.

2000 Fiesta Bowl (after 1999 season)... loved running over Tennessee.

Beating Clemson in 2012 or whenever it was... that was satisfying.

Alamo bowl after 2000 season was fun vs northwestern, orange bowl after 96 season vs Virginia tech was fun, 2009 holiday bowl vs Arizona, and Alamo bowl after 2005 season vs Michigan. Best bowl loss/just great game as painful it is to say is 84 orange bowl. Maybe best game in college football history

If I have to choose I go with annihilation of northwestern and Nebraska is “Nebraska is back and here to stay.”

two i was at, Tennessee, Fiesta and Arizona, Holiday - two not at Clemson and Georgia, think both were Gator

2009 Gator, Bo’s first season?

Reactions: Hog Jaws
Probably 87 Sugar Bowl. 05 Alamo and 09 Holliday, were both great at the time, kind of felt like we were on our way back.

Devaney- 1973 Orange Bowl beating Notre Dame 40-6
Osborne-1987 Sugar Bowl beating #5 LSU 30-15
The '73 Orange Bowl was Ara P.'s worst defeat as a coach at Notre Dame. Plus Johnny the Jet playing I-back and throwing a 50 yr. touchdown bomb to Frosty Anderson on an end around. Great way for Coach Devaney to go out.

1976 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl (W 27-24) vs. Texas Tech using hindsight. Turns out that game essentially saved Osborne's career at Nebraska.

For my second, it's tough to pick between the Alamo Bowls...
2000 (W 66-17) vs. Northwestern as @Wyldcard said, they were a very good team and we just annihilated them (I think @MAG posted the other day that Dan Alexander set the NU bowl rushing record that game). Northwestern came into that game very cocky.
2003 (W 17-3) vs. Michigan State. Pelini as interim coach and we just pounded the daylights out of them on both sides of the ball. But I recall Richie Incognito being accused of, well, being Richie. Nonetheless, a strange time for the program and that was one determined team.
2005 (W 32-28) vs. Michigan was fun and a prelude to the division championship the next season. Things started clicking late in the year for Callahan, Zac Taylor, and Cory Ross. But man, that last play just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll go with 2000 Alamo vs. Northwestern to pair with the 1976 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl.

Btw, if you want to see something crazy, look at the 1976 Big Eight season...
- 7 of 8 teams finished with a winning record
- Nebraska needed 13 games to reach 9 wins, including an extra game at Hawaii and a now-defunct bowl game (last played in 1987 in front of 23K)
- Iowa State beat Nebraska to finish 8-3 which Nebraska finished 8-3-1, but Nebraska was selected for a bowl over the Cyclones. (Iowa State also beat a Mizzou team that was #7 at the time). Nebraska, meanwhile, beat just one ranked team that season (14-10 over #13 Okie Sate).

For the old-timers, NU's win over Florida in 1974. NU was lifeless in the first half and Dave Humm totally imploded at QB. Down 10-0 late in the 3rd quarter, Jimmy Burrow, at the time just The Guy Playing Safety for NU, stopped Florida on 4th & goal from inches out. FB Tony Davis then went nuts and rushed for over 100 yards on NU's last three possessions, leading the Good Guys to a 13-10 comeback win.

Sun Bowl Devaney surprised with a nice win over Georgia

The gridiron generals have loomed large on the sideline. Sammy Baugh was here, but so was Tom Osborne, Barry Switzer, Bob Devaney, Grant Teaff and Don Nehlen. Hall of Famers from across the nation have been to Far West Texas in late December and early January. Alabama’s Nick Saban has been here and so has Texas’ Mack Brow

Too many number twos to mention

I'll go with the first two I remember.

1976 Bluebonnet Bowl. For all the reasons previously discussed.

1977 Liberty Bowl vs. North Carolina. Trailed 17-7 entering the 4th quarter. QB Randy Garcia comes off the bench rally the Cornhuskers to a 21-17 win. Garcia threw 3 passes, completing all 3. Two for touchdowns.

I like beating any SEC team.. Georgia was a sweet game with that 99 yard td toss from TA..

I also called us beating michigan that 05 season when alot of people didnt think we had a chance and I believe it was the first time we played them after the two schools shared the title in 07..

Reactions: stanzsky87
73 orange bowl and the 83 orange bowl TOs first orange bowl win good game. He had a perfectly called fake field goal and the reserve running back dropped the ball. Lucky to win that game nu had 6 turnovers

Reactions: scarletred
2000 Alamo Bowl against a very good NW squad. Final 66-17 good guys.

2005 Alamo Bowl vs Shitchicken 32-28 Good guys.

I was at the 2005 Alamo Bowl with a Meatchicken fan. Very satisfying win. Too bad Cally couldn’t capitalize on it. He followed it up with a solid 2006 season (was sideline when Terrance Nunn fumbled away the win against Texas in ‘06) and then 2007 was a sh!t storm. Still scratching my head how all that happened.

I know the thread is non-national title game, but I can’t help but mention the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl. I swear Danny Wuerffel is still feeling the effects of the network blowjobs he was getting at the end of the ‘95 season. Stomping Florida and watching the network pukes stumble all over themselves at the brutal, pure, ever-loving ass-kicking that was the ‘96 Fiesta Bowl will always rank at the top of my Husker memories. I’ll never forget the out loud laughter that erupted at my house when Tommie Frazier made an absolute joke of the entire Florida Defense.

Surprising we haven’t heard from Pennsy and dinglefritz on this subject and a couple more of the old timers that have seen the majority of the bowl games..

Reactions: Baxter48
Gotham Bowl - The first that started it all

If seriously WOW! Have to admit the 3 bowl games I didn’t see were the 1941 Rose Bowl and the 1955 Orange Bowl (obviously I wasn’t born yet) and 1962 Gotham Bowl...

I do remember the 1964 Orange Bowl watching it with my father..

From games I remember.....

30-0 over Arizona
31-21 over Tennessee (game was much worse than the score)

Honorable Mention: Beating Jim Drunkenmiller and VT in Osborne’s second to last year, and 2000 Northwestern drubbing.

I actually liked when 5-7 Nebraska beat up on UCLA also, but that was just me wishing.

Should mention that the first game I remember is the missed field goal(x2) to FSU, so not a ton of choices.

For the old-timers, NU's win over Florida in 1974. NU was lifeless in the first half and Dave Humm totally imploded at QB. Down 10-0 late in the 3rd quarter, Jimmy Burrow, at the time just The Guy Playing Safety for NU, stopped Florida on 4th & goal from inches out. FB Tony Davis then went nuts and rushed for over 100 yards on NU's last three possessions, leading the Good Guys to a 13-10 comeback win.
We can't have a Barry Switzer video posted without a reference to some tacos...

I'll go with the first two I remember.

1976 Bluebonnet Bowl. For all the reasons previously discussed.

1977 Liberty Bowl vs. North Carolina. Trailed 17-7 entering the 4th quarter. QB Randy Garcia comes off the bench rally the Cornhuskers to a 21-17 win. Garcia threw 3 passes, completing all 3. Two for touchdowns.
The Liberty Bowl is on my list too. Not sure why, except that Tim Smith and Curtis Craig were favorites on mine, and they caught the two TD passes from Garcia.

NU beating the crap out of Arizona in the 2009 Holiday Bowl is another one that stands out. Maybe because it came on the heels of the Big XII title game with Texas and it felt like the Huskers were really taking strides forward. Didn't really work out that way, but at the time the outlook was really positive.

The Liberty Bowl is on my list too. Not sure why, except that Tim Smith and Curtis Craig were favorites on mine, and they caught the two TD passes from Garcia.

NU beating the crap out of Arizona in the 2009 Holiday Bowl is another one that stands out. Maybe because it came on the heels of the Big XII title game with Texas and it felt like the Huskers were really taking strides forward. Didn't really work out that way, but at the time the outlook was really positive.
BOs famous speech: Nebraska’s back and were here to stay!! Those words have came back to bits him and us in the ass

Reactions: CatColumbia
BOs famous speech: Nebraska’s back and were here to stay!! Those words have came back to bits him and us in the ass

What about Pederson quote “I will not let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity and not surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and texas”

Those words still haunt me too this day..

Don’t mean to derail my own thread..:)

Reactions: tpmcg and saluno22
What about Pederson quote “I will not let Nebraska gravitate into mediocrity and not surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and texas”

I'm excited for us to gravitate back to mediocrity.

Reactions: HuskerO

Ugh you had to bring that up

Number 1 for me would be the 1977 Liberty Bowl win over North Carolina. Overall it was a very entertaining football game. Number 2 is a toss up between 1974 Cotton Bowl win over Texas, 1974 Sugar Bowl win over Florida or the 1983 Orange Bowl win over LSU. I barely remember any of the bowl games Nebraska has played in the last 20 years, but the games played in the 1960's, 70's and 80's I remember them like they were yesterday.

09’ holiday vs Arizona. It was the last football game I ever got a watch with my father before he passed away and it gave both of us a lot of hope for the future of Nebraska football.

00’ vs northwestern because moron Big Ten fans I worked with claimed the Big Ten was an elite conference top to bottom and the conference champs would really test Nebraska or even pull off the win.

Reactions: Sinomatic
1973 drubbing of Notre Dame was a good one but I would say the 1969 Sun Bowl win over Georgia was my favorite,the win that started it all in my opinion.

Mine favorite has to be the Florida game with the T. Frazier run. I just remember on the national media bobble heads and all they could do was talk about Spurrier the ole ball coach and how fast the Gators were and we basically had no chance. And the Husker beat the brakes off of them.

Looked more like a non con game against lower division school than a game for the natty.

Wins:
  1. 1987 Sugar Bowl over LSU (1986 season) — covered it for my newspaper. Only bowl win I've attended. I'm 1-3 in person.
  2. 1969 Sun Bowl over Georgia — My first bowl memory.
I know you didn't ask for losses, but the 1984 Orange Bowl loss to Miami is the best game I ever attended.

Reactions: jedimasterjed
1980 Sun Bowl. I attended as a 12 year old. Don’t really remember it being that remarkable a game but it was my 1st bowl trip. We defended Mississippi State. I think Jackie Sherill was their coach at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT