ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday, March 29th: Nebraska at Creighton (Huskers lose 3-2)

Top 1st

Leadoff E6 gets Matthews aboard and he eventually steals 2nd. Chick K’s after a long battle at the plate. Anderson grounds out but Matthews advances to 3rd. Everitt K’s.

Bottom 1st

Jelkin in to pitch and he pitches a 1-2-3 9 pitch inning.

0-0

Reactions: sklarbodds
Top 2nd

Anglim leads off with a double to RC and a SAC bunt from Jessen moves the runner to 3rd. Steil K’s in three pitches while looking at the 3rd strike. An RBI single by Core Jackson makes it a 1-0 game! Pitching change for Creighton. Jackson thrown out by the pitcher trying to steal 2nd.

Bottom 2nd

One out bunt single gets CU their first runner of the night. A single to LF puts runners on 1st and 3rd. An RBI single to RF keeps runners on the corners. A WP puts runners on 2nd and 3rd. Cam Chick with a a robbery of an extra base hit. A runner does tag up and score from 3rd on the SAC fly. 2 out walk for CU. K ends the inning.

2-1 CU

Top 3rd

One out single to LF for Matthews to LF. Chick singles to RF. Anderson lines out to LF A WP advances the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Everitt walks on a full count to load the bases after a long battle. Anglim grounds out to SS.

Bottom 3rd

Leadoff infield single and a steal puts a runner on 2nd who is eventually picked off for our number one. The next batter K’s. Tyler Martin now in to pitch as he K’s the last batter to end the inning.

2-1 CU

Opponents are now 18-24, 75%, in SB attempts. Our media guys need to que up all holds this year with a stop watch and have it on Christy's desk in the morning.

2021 was 15-29, 52%
2020 was covid
2019 was 28-45, 62%
2018 was 37-54, 69%

On another note, disappointed in the 2nd inning pitch calling. Reminded me of Silva at Regionals in 2019 with Gomes.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Opponents are now 18-24, 75%, in SB attempts. Our media guys need to que up all holds this year with a stop watch and have it on Christy's desk in the morning.

2021 was 15-29, 52%
2020 was covid
2019 was 28-45, 62%
2018 was 37-54, 69%

On another note, disappointed in the 2nd inning pitch calling. Reminded me of Silva at Regionals in 2019 with Gomes.
What is wrong with 35 straight fast balls? Haha

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
Top 4th

One out double to LC for Steil. Jackson flies out to LF. Palmer K’s as the Husker leave yet another runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs stranded.

Bottom 4th

1-2-3 for Martin. Palmer looking good out in CF.

2-1 CU

Top 5th

1-2-3 for Nebraska

Bottom 5th

Brockett now in to pitch as he gives up a one out double. A great snag and throw from Jackson for out #2 but the runner advances to 3rd on the play. An E3 scores a runner (of course it does). A four pitch walk puts runners on 1st and 2nd. A WP moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd. A K ends the inning.

3-1 CU

A great snag and throw from Jackson for out #2 but the runner advances to 3rd on the play.

Phenomenal play. @HuskerFan31 likely wet himself and is clearing the drool. 😃

A K ends the inning.

Big for Brockett after the E3 cost a run, walk, and wild pitch - he finished it himself. I fully expect him to be in the mix for the 2023 weekend rotation. He has a great arsenal, can hold runners well, just needs his FB a couple ticks higher which should happen.

Top 6th

Another 1-2-3 inning for the Huskers.

Bottom 6th

One out walk for Brockett. The next batter K’s but the runner steals 2nd. CJ Hood now comes into the game. A walk puts runners on 1st and 2nd. Pop out to 1st ends the threat.

3-1 CU

Top 7th

Steil reaches on an E5 throwing error to leadoff the inning. A single up the middle for Jackson puts runners on the corners. Pitching change for CU. Gabe Swansen in to pinch hit as he hits into a 4-6-3 DP but a run does score on the play to make it 3-2 CU. Matthews is safe on an E5 throwing error but is thrown out attempting to steal 2nd.

Bottom 7th

1-2-3 for Hood

3-2 CU

Top 8th

Leadoff double to LF for Chick and passed ball advances him to 3rd. Anderson is on with a lucky HBP. Everitt K’s. Anglim Also K’s. Jessen falls on his face to get thrown out at 1st. What a pathetic inning from our 3-4-5-6 hitters to go 0-3 with RISP and a lucky HBP.

Bottom 8th

Emmett Olson now in to pitch in as he pitches a 1-2-3 inning.

3-2 CU

Top 9th

Steil K’s. Core Jackson on with an E4 fielding error but of course he’s picked off at 1st. Wimmers with an infield single (good for him all things considered). Banjoff in to pinch run for Wimmers. An E1 advances Banjoff to 2nd. Matthews with a a groundout to end the game.

Huskers 100% deserve to lose 3-2.

Steil, a former SS, with the game changing/deciding error at 1B.

Bolt not challenging Matthews steal attempt at 2B has me curious.

Jackson picked off at 1st, twice.

2-16 with RISP.

1st & 3rd with 0 outs, with our 4-5-6 up, can't score.

Creighton with 5 errors, and still wins.

2022 Husker baseball folks. I'm sure pitching will be blamed, once again. :rolleyes:

2-16 with RISP.

2022 Husker baseball folks. I'm sure pitching will be blamed, once again. :rolleyes:
How many teams in the history of baseball have lost after giving up 2 earned runs, outhitting their opponent, and committing 4 less errors?

2-16 with RISP.

What’s crazy is the freshman arms that stepped up tonight only to have veteran bats let them down.

Very frustrating. Just not a good baseball team right now and hard to imagine we'll see the significant improvement necessary to salvage this season. Would love to be wrong on that....

This has to be the most embarrassing loss of the year to this moment, right? I mean you can’t lose to little bro while they give up 5 errors in the game, right? Luckily the number of craps given to baseball in this state is about 0 right now, so it will probably be forgotten about by next week. But still, mens sports in general really need to stop embarrassing us every chance they get!

Why not Jelkin and Brockett?
I’d be on board. I have limited knowledge of the program and some on here seem to know the team / sport a lot more than I. Just curious if those guys could develop enough before year end or if they are a year away from becoming weekend guys?

I’d be on board. I have limited knowledge of the program and some on here seem to know the team / sport a lot more than I. Just curious if those guys could develop enough before year end or if they are a year away from becoming weekend guys?
Seeing the results each game I say let them develop and take the losses as normal. We are losing anyway at this point. Frank needs to be in the bullpen anyway and at some point we have to accept the fact that Shay and McCarville may not be the answers.

Although the biggest issue is hitting with runners in scoring position and I have no idea how we fix that as we’ve played pretty much everyone to this point. We have a league low .241 BA, rank 12/13 with a .362 SLG%, and a league low .325 OB%. Less we not forget we rank 10% in fielding percentage as well.

Does anybody think it’s possible for Jelkin to work his way into the weekend rotation by year end?

Yes & move McCarville to the bullpen.

Why not Jelkin and Brockett?

He'd be my weekday SP for a couple weeks as trial.

This has to be the most embarrassing loss of the year to this moment, right?

21-4 against a way inferior opponent still sticks in my crawl. There's been a few so for, and that few is too many.

Yes & move McCarville to the bullpen.

He'd be my weekday SP for a couple weeks as trial.

21-4 against a way inferior opponent still sticks in my crawl. There's been a few so for, and that few is too many.
Is Drew Christo a year away in your opinion?

How many teams in the history of baseball have lost after giving up 2 earned runs, outhitting their opponent, and committing 4 less errors?
The football team has been defying all logic for years and now it’s starting to bleed over into other programs.

Just throw outside sliders to the Huskers. They will swing at anything.

Phenomenal play. @HuskerFan31 likely wet himself and is clearing the drool. 😃

I don't know if I'd go that far, although I am partial to good defense at 2B.

Just throw outside sliders to the Huskers. They will swing at anything.

I went back and watched that 8th inning, a couple of the pitches they swung at were even further out of the zone than I could see from the stands. It's simply inexcusable to not score at least one run in that scenario.

Although the biggest issue is hitting with runners in scoring position and I have no idea how we fix that as we’ve played pretty much everyone to this point.
It's true that if we hit better w/RISP we would have more wins and would have beaten Creighton but we're actually hitting better w/RISP than our overall batting.
.242 overall
.263 w/RISP (109% better)

This is tracking the same, comparatively, as last year.
.279 overall
.304 w/RISP (109% better)

We're just a poor hitting team.

It's true that if we hit better w/RISP we would have more wins and would have beaten Creighton but we're actually hitting better w/RISP than our overall batting.
.242 overall
.263 w/RISP (109% better)
I can’t believe I’m correcting k9_r math, but that’s 9% better. I understand the point, but, in the name of accuracy…
We're just a poor hitting team.
This is, of course, the real point and I think by now it’s sadly understood by all who follow this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT