ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Dannen Intro/PC

Sorry for your loss dingle.
Thanks. He had a horrible last month of life which was tough to see. He's had a pacemaker and heart failure for years due to a viral myocarditis about 15 years ago. It would have been better if his heart had just stopped instead of ending up on a ventilator from pneumonia. I was disappointed at times in the care he received at UNMC but I don't think there was anything that could have ultimately changed his outcome. He was way too young with toddler grandkids he adored.

Stadium renovation.
Any feelings on the likelihood of this going forward as originally proposed with our new AD?
Hopefully we take a breather on that project. I think there's some legitimate questions about the necessity and cost. I think some of the plan that Trev REALLY wanted were premium boxes and concessions. Maybe that pays in the long term income side but you're alienating lots of average fans who don't mind walking a few stairs to pee. I can envision pretty easily how there could be renovation done to add a couple of upper entrances and a second level below the stands with concessions and restrooms without tearing the whole thing down.

Hopefully we take a breather on that project. I think there's some legitimate questions about the necessity and cost. I think some of the plan that Trev REALLY wanted were premium boxes and concessions. Maybe that pays in the long term income side but you're alienating lots of average fans who don't mind walking a few stairs to pee. I can envision pretty easily how there could be renovation done to add a couple of upper entrances and a second level below the stands with concessions and restrooms without tearing the whole thing down.
Absolutely agree. That is basically what they did in the North.as I said earlier I sit in the south Row 22 . It would be an absolute pain in row 98 to have to go all the way down to the RR

Reactions: scarletred
You lost me when you called Trev a backstabber. I’m not ready to go down that road…..yet.
You might be right. We will see. But it sure looks and smells and walks like backstabbery. I don’t care if the leadership above him was lacking. Because a new President was surely coming soon. And IF he loves NU as much as he said he does then you stay and help your allegedly beloved Alma mater during that time and don’t run away. And as many national and local pundits have pointed out, it isn’t as if Texas A & M is a bastion of peace, professionalism and integrity in their admin.
Nope… to me this looks like a resume padding move and a ladder climbing move. He won’t stay more than a few years at A&M either if a better job comes along as a conference commissioner.

Trev is all about Trev. And he threw us under the bus for the sake of his ambition.
Screw him.

Reactions: V-Doub
On this we agree! I think this program needs stability more than anything right now. I am all for a better stadium. But I think the money sounds excessive and I think the last thing we need right now is to spend one or two seasons with no South Stadium. Just renovate the darn thing a bit and wait for a future overhaul of bigger proportions.

Agreed. I would also fix the flow of North Stadium or some simpler project and then decide possibly about creating an entire new stadium later on down the line. Get some more space for tailgating, etc.

You might be right. We will see. But it sure looks and smells and walks like backstabbery. I don’t care if the leadership above him was lacking. Because a new President was surely coming soon. And IF he loves NU as much as he said he does then you stay and help your allegedly beloved Alma mater during that time and don’t run away. And as many national and local pundits have pointed out, it isn’t as if Texas A & M is a bastion of peace, professionalism and integrity in their admin.
Nope… to me this looks like a resume padding move and a ladder climbing move. He won’t stay more than a few years at A&M either if a better job comes along as a conference commissioner.

Trev is all about Trev. And he threw us under the bus for the sake of his ambition.
Screw him.
I get some of that, but what is wrong with ambition and moving up? Don't all of us try to climb a ladder to get to the top? I find it hard to fault the guy for being ambitious and maybe trying to be a CEO of a major company someday.

Agreed. I would also fix the flow of North Stadium or some simpler project and then decide possibly about creating an entire new stadium later on down the line. Get some more space for tailgating, etc.
a new stadium possibility sailed a long time ago. I'm fine with what we have. I try to get to the game early and stay in my seat the whole game. New facilities would be waste on me. Take a couple of seats out of each row and maybe add seatbacks and I'm good. We really don't have any fatties in our row and you still can't sit shoulder to shoulder without turning sideways. Of course my shoulders are a little broader than some but.....

I get some of that, but what is wrong with ambition and moving up? Don't all of us try to climb a ladder to get to the top? I find it hard to fault the guy for being ambitious and maybe trying to be a CEO of a major company someday.
Agree. I have no issues with him wanting to move up. BUT don’t piss down my back and say it’s raining. You don’t preach like Trev did for 21/2 years how special this place is this is my dream job where I want to be etc… while at the same time applying for multiple different jobs. Pretty obvious he never intended to stay.

• Sad
Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree. I have no issues with him wanting to move up. BUT don’t piss down my back and say it’s raining. You don’t preach like Trev did for 21/2 years how special this place is this is my dream job where I want to be etc… while at the same time applying for multiple different jobs. Pretty obvious he never intended to stay.
I get that it rubbed people the wrong way, but that is the business world in general. Every company I have left, I thought I would stay forever with. They were all great companies and when I was with them, I promoted it 100% and still have a ton of admiration for them. With that said, I ambitious and always wanted the next step up. That's just human nature and I really don't fault Trev for that. If he has goals for himself, good for him. What did you want him to say while he was here? I really love Nebraska, but fans and supporters I'll only probably be here for a couple of years?

Nothing is wrong with it so long as you are honest about it. Trev spent three years telling us NU was his dream job and a destination job. Three years of how he was “all in” on Nebraska and bringing us back to prominence. But it was all just public relations rhetoric meant for popular consumption. He told us what we wanted to hear in order to ingratiate himself to us. But he clearly did not mean any of it. The first “better job” offer comes his way he is out the door between breakfast and lunch.

I get that it rubbed people the wrong way, but that is the business world in general. Every company I have left, I thought I would stay forever with. They were all great companies and when I was with them, I promoted it 100% and still have a ton of admiration for them. With that said, I ambitious and always wanted the next step up. That's just human nature and I really don't fault Trev for that. If he has goals for himself, good for him. What did you want him to say while he was here? I really love Nebraska, but fans and supporters I'll only probably be here for a couple of years?
No just don’t say anything then when asked or side step the questions.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No. Obviously he would not be so crass as to say that. But that doesn’t mean he had to go on and on and on about the glories of Nebraska and how special it is and how this his dream job and so forth. If you approach the job as merely a business decision in a broader career trajectory then measure your words and speak with more of a professional reserve. Stop the gushing bullshit

Reactions: Big bo fan
an AD's primary job is to align everyone to his mission and vision

losing isn't the disease, it's a symptom

same with winning. winning is a byproduct.

I don't believe blockhead trev's primary goal was to win on the field. rather, his main focus was on the department's bottom line. every single thing he did aligned perfectly to that primary goal.

it's my hope this new AD's primary objective for Nebraska is on-field/court success, profits and media and everything else be damned
Winning and profitability aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive of one another. Don't winning teams usually generate more revenue?

Revenue, yes.

Profit, not necessarily.

Have to spend it to make it & trev was very proud of what he kept in our pockets
Very true. Sometimes teams generate more revenue simply by being lucky enough to be in a conference that pays good money. Vanderbilt is a good example of this. They generate more revenue than Fresno State or Liberty despite being less competitive due to the fact that Fresno State and Liberty are stuck in shit conferences that don't pay squat.

I hope we have a great long-term AD, but wonder how long he will love reporting to an NU system President with no athletics background, which surely means individual Regents will fill the knowledge gap and meddle on a daily basis. Thanks, Admiral!

I hope we have a great long-term AD, but wonder how long he will love reporting to an NU system President with no athletics background, which surely means individual Regents will fill the knowledge gap and meddle on a daily basis. Thanks, Admiral!
I don't understand why they don't just change it back if it was a mistake? What am I missing?

I doubt that many P5 presidents or chancellors have an athletics background. It’s not a prerequisite for those positions. Guys with athletic backgrounds are more likely to rise up through the AD’s office to become an AD than to become academic administrators.

I I doubt that many P5 presidents or chancellors have an athletics background. It’s not a prerequisite for those positions. Guys with athletic backgrounds are more likely to rise up through the AD’s office to become an AD than to become academic administrators.
Dennis Leblanc

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT