ADVERTISEMENT

Tropical Storm Franklin

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
Has arrived... The rains have arrived at our home in the Dominican Republic. Forecasters say lots of rain with flooding. Then again, a good heavy normal storm produces this, especially in the main cities with little to no storm sewers. We are in the rural northern part of the island. Should be fun. If we lose internet, I'll see you on the other side. About 2 years ago we sat through a level 2 hurricane with no problems.

Reactions: king_kong_
Has arrived... The rains have arrived at our home in the Dominican Republic. Forecasters say lots of rain with flooding. Then again, a good heavy normal storm produces this, especially in the main cities with little to no storm sewers. We are in the rural northern part of the island. Should be fun. If we lose internet, I'll see you on the other side. About 2 years ago we sat through a level 2 hurricane with no problems.
images

They say Frank combines decent speed and surprising power - like a 155-pound fullback!

Good luck! Love the Dominican. Would love to hear your thoughts on living there some time!

Reactions: HBK4life
What's the over/under on the people defending Minneapolis in the other thread coming over here and talking about how "dangerous" the DR, Mexico, and Latin America are?

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Good luck! Love the Dominican. Would love to hear your thoughts on living there some time!
I started coming here in 2013 on mission trips, sold everything, and moved here full-time 5 years ago. We (myself and my wife of 38 yrs.) have our own mission now and love every minute of it. The best thing we ever did. The people are great, the temps and humidity suck in summer, and the living is very laid back. I think I am busier now as a missionary than I ever was as a business owner. The cost of living is far less in some things (insurance $82 a year for 2015 12 pass van), housing, electric ($20 month), Fiber Optic Internet ($14) no water, but food (40%) and gas ($6 gal) is more. Beer (El Presidente) is about $3.50 a bottle (20 oz) from the store (PBR is $12 6 pack), wine is $7.50 a small bottle and liquor is very expensive.

I started coming here in 2013 on mission trips, sold everything, and moved here full-time 5 years ago. We (myself and my wife of 38 yrs.) have our own mission now and love every minute of it. The best thing we ever did. The people are great, the temps and humidity suck in summer, and the living is very laid back. I think I am busier now as a missionary than I ever was as a business owner. The cost of living is far less in some things (insurance $82 a year for 2015 12 pass van), housing, electric ($20 month), Fiber Optic Internet ($14) no water, but food (40%) and gas ($6 gal) is more. Beer (El Presidente) is about $3.50 a bottle (20 oz) from the store (PBR is $12 6 pack), wine is $7.50 a small bottle and liquor is very expensive.
Wow, that rules

Good for you and best of luck during the storm

Great place for amateur baseball and a little golf

10 years and I'll be on the beaches of Thailand. Dual citizenship. Brand new home with a pool over there is 87k. Just have to watch my football on the computer.
That's been my dream but I haven't been able to talk the wife into it yet.

Reactions: HBK4life
That's seriously just awesome. I've always had a soft spot for the Dominican people. So kind and so welcoming in my experience.

What type of mission work do you do?

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT