ADVERTISEMENT

Trey McGowens is N

This ones huge. Dudes been balling since he was a true freshman. A former Top 100 PG and he’s been averaging over 11 points, 4 assists and 2 steals per game his freshman and sophomore years. He’s considered the top (or one of the top) sit out transfers. He will probably play one year and go NBA. With any luck, this will help us pull his younger brother in too. GBR

Last edited:
This ones huge. Dudes been balling since he was a true freshman. A former Top 100 PG and he’s been averaging over 11 points, 4 assists and 2 steals per game his freshman and sophomore years. He’s considered the top (or one of the top) sit out transfers. He will probably play one year and go NBA. With any luck, this will help us pull his younger brother in too. GBR

His brother is already committed to Florida State.

Reactions: Wyldcard
One open scholarship left.... think Fred will look to add some size or just continue to play his small ball uptempo style and get bigger guards who he feels can rebound well enough?

Reactions: headcard
One open scholarship left.... think Fred will look to add some size or just continue to play his small ball uptempo style and get bigger guards who he feels can rebound well enough?

I believe the goal for the last scholarship is to sign Adama Sanogo. It’s already been quite the hall, but land him and Hoiberg/Matty A would get a A+ on upgrading the talent on the roster.

Next year we should have a roster that can compete in the Big Ten. Last year, in a lot of games we had already lost before walking off the bus. It will just be dependent on Hoiberg getting all the new players to gel.

Im king of surprised Arop hasn’t transferred to open another scholarship. Not really sure how he fits under Hoiberg.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I believe the goal for the last scholarship is to sign Adama Sanogo. It’s already been quite the hall, but land him and Hoiberg/Matty A would get a A+ on upgrading the talent on the roster.

Next year we should have a roster that can compete in the Big Ten. Last year, in a lot of games we had already lost before walking off the bus. It will just be dependent on Hoiberg getting all the new players to gel.

Im king of surprised Arop hasn’t transferred to open another scholarship. Not really sure how he fits under Hoiberg.

Matt A. has said that if they pass the one time transfer rule he could see Hoiberg not using all of the scholarships as its too
hard keeping 13 guys happy with playing time. They are used to having 2 sit out transfers. This team will be deep so not
surprised Arop still on team as going to need scholarship players that don't get much playing time. That said I hope Arop
improves and becomes a player that earns playing time.

I think we land Sanogo. Will be interesting to see how playing time would shake out at the 5-spot between Sanogo, Yvan, and Walker. Sanogo by far the most talented/athletic, but Yvan and Walker have experience at this level. Can't see all 3 staying here after next year, I can't see Fred putting more than 1 of them on the floor at the same time.

I think we land Sanogo. Will be interesting to see how playing time would shake out at the 5-spot between Sanogo, Yvan, and Walker. Sanogo by far the most talented/athletic, but Yvan and Walker have experience at this level. Can't see all 3 staying here after next year, I can't see Fred putting more than 1 of them on the floor at the same time.

this is a great problem to have. We just keep a rotation going between those 3 guys. My guess is we’d see Yvan and Sanogo on the court with Walker subbing in. Just my guess and I agree, I think Top 50 Adam Sanogo will end up being a Husker.

And in McGowens case, I hope they pass that one time transfer rule. He’s a big time PG/SG. Fred said he’d get our team fixed and he is definitely doing so. GBR

Last edited:
So any way too early guesses on starters/PT? Assuming we have everyone eligible (which is probably a stretch), you could see:

PG: McGowins
SG: King
SG: Allen
PF: Stevenson
C: Walker

Then we would still have Webster, Banton, Thor, Yvan, Sanogo. Could make the case for any starting (maybe not Thor), heck Webster averaged 17 ppg last year, as a D1 player. That second team would probably run circles around this years team. Basketball team will look very different next year!

Reactions: TheNewNU
So any way too early guesses on starters/PT? Assuming we have everyone eligible (which is probably a stretch), you could see:

PG: McGowins
SG: King
SG: Allen
PF: Stevenson
C: Walker

Then we would still have Webster, Banton, Thor, Yvan, Sanogo. Could make the case for any starting (maybe not Thor), heck Webster averaged 17 ppg last year, as a D1 player. That second team would probably run circles around this years team. Basketball team will look very different next year!

I would be shocked if Banton is not starting next year, even if McGowens is eligible. The coaches have been raving about him and saying he has NBA talent.

I don't think Walker starts if we land Sanogo - I think Sanogo is a Day 1 starter. And if Yvan develops further, I'm not sure Walker will play much at all.

I'd say it could be:
-Banton
-McGowens (if eligible, otherwise King/Webster)
-Allen
-Sanogo/Yvan
-King (or Stevenson if McGowens is ineligible)

It will also be interesting to see how much playing time Kevin Cross and Lat Mayen get. Both are "Stretch 4" players with lots of potential.

I would be shocked if Banton is not starting next year, even if McGowens is eligible. The coaches have been raving about him and saying he has NBA talent.

I don't think Walker starts if we land Sanogo - I think Sanogo is a Day 1 starter. And if Yvan develops further, I'm not sure Walker will play much at all.

I'd say it could be:
-Banton
-McGowens (if eligible, otherwise King/Webster)
-Allen
-Sanogo/Yvan
-King (or Stevenson if McGowens is ineligible)

It will also be interesting to see how much playing time Kevin Cross and Lat Mayen get. Both are "Stretch 4" players with lots of potential.

agreed on Adama Sanogo. He’s a Top 49 player in the country for a reason. Dude will see the court game one if we do indeed land him (which I think we will). Hoiberg has some good problems ahead if that One time transfer things passes. It will be nice having too much talent to play everyone compared to barely having a couple ok players.

assuming all pans out right...

McGowen (6’4) PG
King (6’4)/Webster (6’0) SG
Baton (6’8) SG/SF
Walker (6’9) PF/C
Yvan (6’10) PF/C

that’s some talent and size for the line up and my guess at potential starting line up if all goes well...

Last edited:
I actually thought Arop looked okay when he was forced in to action at the end of the year. I think he can play some D and rebound if nothing else.

Cross is going to be a very good player for us. Asking him to guard opposing centers is a little much but that kid can play and he's going to do nothing but get better. He's just a baby.

Everyone keeps talking about Sanogo for next year, but he is listed as a 2021 recruit. Is he going to reclassify?

Everyone keeps talking about Sanogo for next year, but he is listed as a 2021 recruit. Is he going to reclassify?

Not that I heard of. I think most of us (maybe all of us) just forgot he’s 2021 and not 2020. I think we all hope we land him and just want to hurry up and get him on the roster. ;) Which is understandable considering he’s a BIG and ranked as high as a Top 30 player in the country (per ESPN and 49 per Rivals).

you guys can keep that guy, I’ll gladly take McGowen ;)
of course Nebraska wouldn’t take McConnell. He’s an actual shooter with good size. Granted I’ll give you his stats aren’t all that @ Duke but look who played in front of him Wendell Moore and RJ Barrett. This is like getting a RB transfer from Bama and saying, oh he’s 5th on the depth chart, he must suck.
sadly I don’t think McGowens could even make the Creighton team.

Reactions: bluenrg
of course Nebraska wouldn’t take McConnell. He’s an actual shooter with good size. Granted I’ll give you his stats aren’t all that @ Duke but look who played in front of him Wendell Moore and RJ Barrett. This is like getting a RB transfer from Bama and saying, oh he’s 5th on the depth chart, he must suck.
Couldn’t make the team at Creighton? Get real. He averaged 12,4 and 3 at Pitt. He is a very good player.

you guys can keep that guy, I’ll gladly take McGowen ;)

I don't know what "you guys" means. As an NU fan I would rather have Trey. But as a Duke fan I know McConnell is a darn good player and IMO will fit in well at Creighton. I would not have been at all upset if NU got McConnell and Creighton got McGowen. I just like this way better.

Reactions: huskerssalts

really? And you say McConnell is a shooter while making it sound like McGowen isn’t? Just going off of 2019 season:

Trey McGowen went 11.6 PPG and shot 31% from 3 and 72% from FT line while going 41% FG. Also averaged 4 assists, 2 steals and 3 rebounds per game.

Alex O’Connell went 5 PPG and shot 27% from 3, 56% from FT line and going 40% FG. Also averaged 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 rebounds a game.

Sorry but Trey McGowen is clearly the better player and prospect. Just because O’Connell came from Duke, road the pine and barely played any minutes doesn’t automatically make him an instant star. Both players where Top 100 players out of High School and ranked around the same range. Ones a senior to be while the other is a junior to be can you guess which ones the younger player?

Oh let’s not forget, Trey McGowen was playing in that same ACC division against Duke, UNC Tarheels and those guys. So both OConnell and McGowen where ACC players playing against the same competition game in And game out.

Last edited:
I don't know what "you guys" means. As an NU fan I would rather have Trey. But as a Duke fan I know McConnell is a darn good player and IMO will fit in well at Creighton. I would not have been at all upset if NU got McConnell and Creighton got McGowen. I just like this way better.

now this I agree with. O’Connell will help Creighton out with their needs and McGowen will help the Huskers out with our PG needs. Both fit the bills needed.

Couldn’t make the team at Creighton? Get real. He averaged 12,4 and 3 at Pitt. He is a very good player.
Yeah he is a good player. Just messing around Huskerbluedevil has what I’m kind of getting at. McGownen a good player but he’d be like (at best) 3rd string @ CU. He’s not better than the 2 PG Creighton has coming back and The Jays don’t need a hero. They need team players. That’s what they got

Nebraska needs a hero type- and that’s what they got.

the Jays 2020-2021 season is a next level type of team. Something the state of Nebraska has never seen.

Nebraska just needs to focus on winning some games next year

Reactions: bluenrg
Yeah he is a good player. Just messing around Huskerbluedevil has what I’m kind of getting at. McGownen a good player but he’d be like (at best) 3rd string @ CU. He’s not better than the 2 PG Creighton has coming back and The Jays don’t need a hero. They need team players. That’s what they got

Nebraska needs a hero type- and that’s what they got.

the Jays 2020-2021 season is a next level type of team. Something the state of Nebraska has never seen.

Nebraska just needs to focus on winning some games next year

ok, now you’re taking things a little far now. Creighton is not Duke, UNC, UK or KU. Creighton might have a solid team coming up but if I was you, I’d hold off on proclaiming them the next greatest team. You could really make yourself look bad there. Hell Hoiberg and his next Husker team will give Creighton a run for their money. Just watch.

Yes, there is a chance that he could reclassify your 2020. There is also rumblings that William Breidenbach could reclassify to 2020. The wrench that could get thrown into the Sanogo situation is that he has to take his SAT and they aren’t testing right now. If he can’t take it, the only way he could reclassify and be eligible would be if the NCAA waived their entrance requirements.

Yes, there is a chance that he could reclassify your 2020. There is also rumblings that William Breidenbach could reclassify to 2020. The wrench that could get thrown into the Sanogo situation is that he has to take his SAT and they aren’t testing right now. If he can’t take it, the only way he could reclassify and be eligible would be if the NCAA waived their entrance requirements.
interesting wrench. I wonder if they'd ever consider a virtual testing environment if this continues to drag out?

definitely would be royal pain in the rear to administer in a way that guarantees no funny business, but at a certain point kids need to take that sucker.

im one of those that hopes they waive it this year with the coronavirus pandemic going on...and they really could. That would help someone like Zavier Betts out. Sounds like he had his grades on path but just needed to hit his ACT score. If they wipe those away this year, Betts would be golden. I strongly feel Zavier Betts will make it here come fall camps (assuming we have them) but something like that would almost guarantee it.

im one of those that hopes they waive it this year with the coronavirus pandemic going on...and they really could. That would help someone like Zavier Betts out. Sounds like he had his grades on path but just needed to hit his ACT score. If they wipe those away this year, Betts would be golden. I strongly feel Zavier Betts will make it here come fall camps (assuming we have them) but something like that would almost guarantee it.
I think the NCAA levels themselves open for lawsuits if they don’t waive the requirements.

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT