ADVERTISEMENT

Trev gets a bonus

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
by squeaking into the top 30 in the Directors Cup on the back of track and field despite our top 4 funded sports (FB, MBB, WBB, baseball) being failures

Bonus is almost 20% of his salary

Last edited:
Reactions: kruller
by squeaking into the top 30 in the Directors Cup on the back of track and field despite our top 4 funded sports (FB, MBB, WBB, baseball) being failures

Isn't Rhule his first hire (of FB, MBB, WBB, baseball)? And Rhule hasn't coached a game yet. What are we bashing Trev for? He's looked pretty good so far.

Isn't Rhule his first hire (of FB, MBB, WBB, baseball)? And Rhule hasn't coached a game yet. What are we bashing Trev for? He's looked pretty good so far.
The men’s hoops situation is beyond repair, but the fact the conference’s highly touted record setting media deal still hasn’t officially been inked puts the decision to retain Fred into more focus

Speaking of which - any news on that front? We’re like 9 weeks from football season

Reactions: WHCSC

Your hatred for Trev is getting comical at this point. You are starting to appear as the jilted ex girlfriend. Go drink another White Claw. Lmao

anyone whose ever questioned if winning is important in Lincoln, look no further then Trev. What’s important is to make money and raise donations for assets. obviously winning in major sports isn’t key to the ADs success. Anything different then that has yet to be seen. I’m sorry

Absolutely - I question a contract where the performance of our athletic teams over the last year is somehow deemed worthy of a bonus
I would assume he has milestone bonuses that become much more lucrative the better we do. Top 30 could just be the bare bones to get something - which ultimately is still in the top 25% of schools (I think).

Trev fired Frost and set the football team up for success by landing Matt Rhule. A home run hire for a team that desperately needs to start winning. Fred showed progress and still has a job. Bolt, honestly, had the discussion with Trev that baseball is not meeting the standard. Out goes Christy and in comes Childress and Sirianni. He’s doing his job to make Nebraska sports relevant again. Good for him for getting a bonus, if he ends up getting it. I hope the football, baseball and both basketball teams have fantastic seasons and he lands a huge bonus. If it was all about making money and getting bigger donations he would not have hired a $9M a year football coach to resurrect the football program.

Fredward should not still have a job...but for all we know Trev made 36 calls and every single person on the other end of the call looked at their caller ID and refused to answer...outside of that...he's doin OK.... could argue Frosty should never have been brought back.... but then you don't get Rhule so some blind luck happened there I guess. In the end...I don't care what he makes....this University prints money and I don't get any of it.. so whatevs.

Last edited:
Trev fired Frost and set the football team up for success by landing Matt Rhule. A home run hire for a team that desperately needs to start winning. Fred showed progress and still has a job. Bolt, honestly, had the discussion with Trev that baseball is not meeting the standard. Out goes Christy and in comes Childress and Sirianni. He’s doing his job to make Nebraska sports relevant again. Good for him for getting a bonus, if he ends up getting it. I hope the football, baseball and both basketball teams have fantastic seasons and he lands a huge bonus. If it was all about making money and getting bigger donations he would not have hired a $9M a year football coach to resurrect the football program.
I will agree with everything except the last sentence. You aren't getting bigger donations if you aren't winning. In order to win you need to hire a good coach. The amount of fan empathy that was/ is creeping in to this athletic department is substantial. Do not underestimate that in the money making aspect.

After Eichorst and Moos I'm surprised there is so much shade thrown at Alberts. Whatever private dealings he has with the B1G he is publicly a "B1G guy", no more fighting with our own conference or bitching about schedules and officiating. He is an engaging speaker. He thinks big, like volleyball in Memorial Stadium. Morale in the Department seems high. He embraces past players and coaches. He got rid of Frost as quickly as boosters and regents would let him. He is taking a transparent, measured approach to refurbishing Memorial with fan input.

Yes the bottom line is wins and hopefully more are coming, but IMHO Trev is doing a good job so far.

I'm guessing you've never had a job with KPIs that dictate your bonus earning?

Last I checked he was the ATHLETIC director, not the FB, MBB, WBB, & Baseball director. He runs the ENTIRE athletic department.

the bonus cited was for none of what you mentioned - it was for the on-field results of the athletic teams as determined by the Director's Cup - which weighs all sport equally

winning a national championship in rifle or fencing earns you the same number of points as winning the national championship in football or basketball

Stanford finished first despite having a worse football and basketball team than we did

the bonus cited was for none of what you mentioned - it was for the on-field results of the athletic teams as determined by the Director's Cup - which weighs all sport equally

winning a national championship in rifle or fencing earns you the same number of points as winning the national championship in football or basketball

Stanford finished first despite having a worse football and basketball team than we did
I’m well aware of that. I was referencing something that was said in another post that it was all about making money and getting donations rather than winning.

I will agree with everything except the last sentence. You aren't getting bigger donations if you aren't winning. In order to win you need to hire a good coach. The amount of fan empathy that was/ is creeping in to this athletic department is substantial. Do not underestimate that in the money making aspect.
That last sentence was in reference to a comment that it wasn’t about winning but about making money and getting bigger donations. I’m well aware of how things work.

Last I checked he was the ATHLETIC director, not the FB, MBB, WBB, & Baseball director. He runs the ENTIRE athletic department.
of course I have ... this KPI, however, is based on Director's Cup standings - which means you can put all your resources in endeavors that lose money and will always lose money despite how good they are while finishing near dead last in the revenue generating areas (football and basketball) and win the Direcotr's Cup and get a huge bonus

do you think that is a meaningful KPI? where you can excel in money losing endeavors and fail in money generating endeavors -- a KPI that weighs rifle the same as football or basketball?

Last edited:

RollingLaugh

let me ask you a question - if we win national title after national title in softball, VB, Track, Swimming, Wrestling and the football team goes 5-7 for the next 5 years - do you think Trev keeps his job???

I’m well aware of that. I was referencing something that was said in another post that it was all about making money and getting donations rather than winning.
In an effort to discredit what was written by the OP you wrote " If it was all about making money and getting bigger donations he would not have hired a $9M a year football coach to resurrect the football program."

I am stating that spending a few extra million on a football coach doesn't guarantee winning, but it will definitely keep the donations coming in and will create a buzz in fan interest, thus creating more revenue.

If the AD, as it appears you insinuated, went cheap on the football hire in an effort to keep expenses down and make even more money, Apathy in the fan base continues and the donations begin to dry up, causing the revenues, outside of that received from the league to decrease. Which will result in making less money not more.

In an effort to discredit what was written by the OP you wrote " If it was all about making money and getting bigger donations he would not have hired a $9M a year football coach to resurrect the football program."

I am stating that spending a few extra million on a football coach doesn't guarantee winning, but it will definitely keep the donations coming in and will create a buzz in fan interest, thus creating more revenue.

If the AD, as it appears you insinuated, went cheap on the football hire in an effort to keep expenses down and make even more money, Apathy in the fan base continues and the donations begin to dry up, causing the revenues, outside of that received from the league to decrease. Which will result in making less money not more.
This season in FB will be HUGE for keeping/losing fan interest. Not us, we are the insane diehard fans but we make up such a small % of the fan base.

NU needs one or a combination of things to happen this season, we can probably pick 2-3 of these things to help keep the fan interest.

1. Winning season
2. Beat Michigan
3. Be "in" every game (I hate this one but we have a ton of fans that LOVE the "almost" victory)
4. No "bad losses"

I 4-5 win season will really take the shine off the positive vibes.

of course I have ... this KPI is based on Director's Cup standings - which means if you can put all your resources in endeavors that lose money and will always lose money despite how good they are while finishing near dead last in the revenue generating areas (football and basketball) and win the Direcotr's Cup and get a huge bonus

do you think that is a meaningful KPI?
your dept excels in areas that are money losers and fails in the revenue generating areas
Trev isn't doing that though which is what you are insinuating... Outside of firing Fred he has made the right moves to try and get those money makes going in the right direction

Yes it's a meaningful KPI because it gauges the Athletic department as a whole not just the 4 that you mentioned, which is Trevs job.

If we go 5-7 for the next 5 years Trev will make changes to the program, which is his job to do (probably well before 5 years even hits) We've gone 6 years without a winning season and are still in the top 30 revenue for football..

Trev isn't doing that though which is what you are insinuating... Outside of firing Fred he has made the right moves to try and get those money makes going in the right direction

Yes it's a meaningful KPI because it gauges the Athletic department as a whole not just the 4 that you mentioned, which is Trevs job.

If we go 5-7 for the next 5 years Trev will make changes to the program, which is his job to do (probably well before 5 years even hits) We've gone 6 years without a winning season and are still in the top 30 revenue for football..
i guess we disagree

a KPI based on directors cup metrics is like a hospital CEO being rewarded for having the best janitorial staff and food service while having the worst patient outcomes

Now Nebraska fans are arguing about an athletic director earning a bonus that was negotiated and agreed to by both parties before the contract was ultimately signed.

giphy.gif

i guess we disagree

a KPI based on directors cup metrics is like a hospital CEO being rewarded for having the best janitorial staff and food service while having the worst patient outcomes
Not knowing the details of his contract there really isn't much argue. Directors Cup has been around for a while and has been used as a metric for a while. He is the ATHLETIC director. If the ATHLETIC department does well as a WHOLE in terms of performance, the the ATHLETIC director is compensated. Sport specific bonus' I'm sure are coach based and not Athletic director based, but I don't know that because I don't know their contracts.

Also your analogy is way off but nice try..

Now Nebraska fans are arguing about an athletic director earning a bonus that was negotiated and agreed to by both parties before the contract was ultimately signed.

giphy.gif

I took it as a discussion...not an argument. It's the off season...whadda ya gonna do?? Haha.

Reactions: Redmich

giphy.gif
yep no problem with him getting what was in the contract - just that the contract utilizing Director's Cup standings is idiotic - it is the adult equivalent of participation ribbons

Stanford and Texas finish 1-2 in the directors cup every year -- they must have the best athletic directors in the whole wide world

Last edited:
Not knowing the details of his contract there really isn't much argue. Directors Cup has been around for a while and has been used as a metric for a while. He is the ATHLETIC director. If the ATHLETIC department does well as a WHOLE in terms of performance, the the ATHLETIC director is compensated. Sport specific bonus' I'm sure are coach based and not Athletic director based, but I don't know that because I don't know their contracts.

Also your analogy is way off but nice try..
OK, how about this analogy. What if there was a bonus for having a unit ranked number 1 in the country. Special teams is ranked number 1 in the country, but the offense and the defense are ranked 100 and the team has a 3-9 record.

OK, how about this analogy. What if there was a bonus for having a unit ranked number 1 in the country. Special teams is ranked number 1 in the country, but the offense and the defense are ranked 100 and the team has a 3-9 record.
Depends on the contract that was signed by the football coach and AD but the cumulative of it all resulted in a failure.. The cumulative of the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT resulted in a Top 30 finish and not Bottom 100.. so again, not the same and not a real contract.

I’m pretty comfortable in saying that Trev’s salary, and/or bonus monies are not his main source of income in overseeing a $100+ million dollar football operation.

Reactions: TFrazier

The volleyball team is a success, so give Trev a little bit of credit for that, although John Cook deserves some credit for that as well.

The volleyball team is a success, so give Trev a little bit of credit for that, although John Cook deserves some credit for that as well.
so, say I move into a house with exquisite landscaping and a gardener who's been maintaining it for 10+ years

you'd give me credit for said landscaping after living in the house for 10 minutes?

must say, your name is spot on with your opinions

all of trev's accolades or lack thereof will lay solely at the feet of the football coach he hired. rightly so.

so, say I move into a house with exquisite landscaping and a gardener who's been maintaining it for 10+ years

you'd give me credit for said landscaping after living in the house for 10 minutes?

must say, your name is spot on with your opinions

all of trev's accolades or lack thereof will lay solely at the feet of the football coach he hired. rightly so.
He fired Scott Frost, so that's a start in moving the football program in the right direction. Fred Hoiberg should have definitely been fired, no excuse for that whatsoever. Amy Williams needs to be on a short leash and I would say the same for Will Bolt. If they don't start having success soon I would say it's time to move on.

He should donate his bonus to some local charities.
The only role Trev has had in the volleyball team's success is staying the hell out of the way.

Reactions: TFrazier

Are you trying to be funny…”some credit”.

John Cook, his coaching/support staff, and the players deserve all the credit for the success within the volleyball program.

I am a big fan of ADTA. However, Trev Alberts inherited a top 3 volleyball program when he stepped on campus…he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

He needs to leave John Cook alone and let him continue winning championships.

Last edited:

Why do you care so much? Does it effect you in anyway. You come off as a jealous little whiner. Given the multiple post trying to stir the pot. If Rhule does not turn this around Trev will be out as well. Are you the reincarnation of that JIB fella?

Reactions: tjlSker90
Are you trying to be funny…”some credit”.

John Cook, his staff, and the players deserve all the credit for the success within the volleyball program. Trev Alberts inherited a top 3 volleyball program when he stepped on campus…he had absolutely nothing to do with it.
If it looks, walks and talks like a duck …. It’s probably a duck. It was obviously sarcasm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT