ADVERTISEMENT

Travion Ford

no doubt, if Keagan Johnson is that hung up on Iowa and an offense when fully loaded ranks almost 100th in the country or worst, then that’s on him. Huskers will no doubt get our talent and WRs. We good
No matter which school he chooses, he is likely to put up some numbers at UN's Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.

Reactions: Hawk It Up
No matter which school he chooses, he is likely to put up some numbers at UN's Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.
Depends on how you define “put up some numbers”. If he goes to Iowa, he will play on a perineal anemic offense and will only play in Memorial Stadium twice.

Reactions: huskerssalts

like my 2 fellow Husker fans pointed out, I guess it depends on what you mean by putting up numbers. You have to remember, Huskers are pretty loaded at DB and your guys WRs don’t usually do so hot against us in that area.

Last edited:
I wish Johnson the best.

Sure, he doesn't have the speed of a Fleming or Brown or the size of a Manning or Betts, but he's probably worthy of a spot at a school like Iowa or K-State. 6'1" receivers who run 11.3 in the 100m still have a place somewhere.
I will say this for him and Iowa. Iowa has done a good job with kids like Johnson and Bruce (who just committed to them). Regional kids with OK offers. Good football players, from good programs, who maybe don’t have the huge athletic upside to get a ton offers or high star rating, but good players.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
I will say this for him and Iowa. Iowa has done a good job with kids like Johnson and Bruce (who just committed to them). Regional kids with OK offers. Good football players, from good programs, who maybe don’t have the huge athletic upside to get a ton offers or high star rating, but good players.

my guess is he wants to play early and that’s why he’s thinking Iowa. Anyone who looks at the Huskers last 2 recruiting classes and see all those 4 star WRs the Huskers have pulled, can see he’d had trouble starting day one or even year 2 but at Iowa he has a legit chance to play early. My guess.

my guess is he wants to play early and that’s why he’s thinking Iowa. Anyone who looks at the Huskers last 2 recruiting classes and see all those 4 star WRs the Huskers have pulled, can see he’d had trouble starting day one or even year 2 but at Iowa he has a legit chance to play early. My guess.
He may fit better there too. At his size, he is a slot WR in college and we want the Wandale/Nixon hybrid type there, whereas Iowa would use him as a true slot WR. There are a lot of reasons it makes sense, but still the freak out from our fan base will be excruciating. I mean we got a huge commit today and it’s crickets, but once KJ (who has no where near the offers) announces for Iowa it will be meltdown city.

Reactions: hedonistimpulse
no doubt, if Keagan Johnson is that hung up on Iowa and an offense when fully loaded ranks almost 100th in the country or worst in offensive out put, then that’s on him. Huskers will no doubt get our talent and WRs. We good
Offensive output, talent? Doesn't mean much when you don't win.

Reactions: CaboKP
If Iowa won 13 games every season and Nebraska won zero how many years would it take Iowa to catch up????

Trick question:

there’s no way Iowa averages more than 8 wins per season over a ten year stretch.....,ever..... RollingLaugh

Similar to the Dickerson situation. I listened to Nate Clause the other day and he said that Dickerson is no better than the DBs we got from Florida from last years class. If the better player comes from out of state then we need to go after them.
And that’s why Dickerson more or less said he’s going to Minnesota. Said Minnesota’s lacked depth in the secondary. I don’t care if their instate or out of state, kids looking for instant playing are going to be difficult to land if you can’t offer that

Last edited:
Depends on how you define “put up some numbers”. If he goes to Iowa, he will play on a perineal anemic offense and will only play in Memorial Stadium twice.

You mean that offense that keeps finding a way to beat the once mighties?

As far as Johnson goes, Iowa needs speed and athleticism like that to get better at the WR position so I’m happy about it.
Yeah, Iowa’s team speed is pretty awful. Feel like this is really what’s holding you all back. Really need for improvement in speed at the skill positions on offense.

Iowa’s been doing a good job in the secondary, on both sides of the lines, and your linebackers usually can hit. I’ve never been a big fan of your QBs. I know Stanley and Beathard were both drafted but I’ve neve thought they could take over a game.

Couldn’t name a single WR for Iowa ever. I’m sure if I thought really hard I maybe could. I remember a pesky white kid at the slot that gave use issues a few years ago but his success that day was mostly on our defense and not because of his talent. And your RBs are just as forgettable. Granted some kid @ Iowa that’s never had 100 yds rushing in his life usually has 100 yds rushing against us in the 1st half. That’s not what I’m talking about. Just haven’t had talent there. It’s been since 2012 since Iowa has had a WR or RB drafted. And to put that in context, as bad as we’ve been, it’s only been since 2016 since we’ve put a Back in the league and he’s still active.

So yeah, Johnson is a major need for you guys. Just like LBers that can hit are for us. Which ironically, it’s been since 2012 since we’ve had a LB get drafted

Yeah, Iowa’s team speed is pretty awful. Feel like this is really what’s holding you all back. Really need for improvement in speed at the skill positions

You really are a silly bastard - if I remember correctly we had 2 players, one of which was a true freshman, run away from your defenders for long touchdowns this past season.

You'll see more of that this season.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Yeah, Iowa’s team speed is pretty awful. Feel like this is really what’s holding you all back. Really need for improvement in speed at the skill positions on offense.

Iowa’s been doing a good job in the secondary, on both sides of the lines, and your linebackers usually can hit. I’ve never been a big fan of your QBs. I know Stanley and Beathard were both drafted but I’ve neve thought they could take over a game.

Couldn’t name a single WR for Iowa ever. I’m sure if I thought really hard I maybe could. I remember a pesky white kid at the slot that gave use issues a few years ago but his success that day was mostly on our defense and not because of his talent. And your RBs are just as forgettable. Granted some kid @ Iowa that’s never had 100 yds rushing in his life usually has 100 yds rushing against us in the 1st half. That’s not what I’m talking about. Just haven’t had talent there. It’s been since 2012 since Iowa has had a WR or RB drafted. And to put that in context, as bad as we’ve been, it’s only been since 2016 since we’ve put a Back in the league and he’s still active.

So yeah, Johnson is a major need for you guys. Just like LBers that can hit are for us. Which ironically, it’s been since 2012 since we’ve had a LB get drafted
I don't think we should be too critical of Stanley after what he did to us at the end of the last two games against Iowa. He was clutch in those games.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I don't think we should be too critical of Stanley after what he did to us at the end of the last two games against Iowa. He was clutch in those games.
2019- Stanley has 99 yards passing, 14 yards rushing, an INT and Zero TDs against us last year?

the year before was a little better: 152 yards passing, 10 yds rushing, zero picks and 2 TDs.

still not jaw dropping stats or even good stats. is he a game manager? Sure, but game managers are a bit outdated, and don’t work in college football. Sorry, I’m just not a fan of Stanley. He’s not very impressive. Going think I’m bias but I’d take AM, Luke, and Logan over him every day of the week

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I don't get the Iowa fixation with posters on this board. Nebraska is a CFB Blue Bood, Iowa is not. Why go back an forth with them all the time? Just ignore it.
I'm aware that if I Google "college football bluebloods" I'll see Nebraska on any list out there but we live in a What have you done for me lately? world... but at least you can hang your hat on what was accomplished 20+ years ago..

You have a bottom-feeder program on your hands in today's world. Congratulations.

I'm aware that if I Google "college football bluebloods" I'll see Nebraska on any list out there but we live in a What have you done for me lately? world... but at least you can hang your hat on what was accomplished 20+ years ago..

You have a bottom-feeder program on your hands in today's world. Congratulations.

Why are you on a bottom-feeders message board then, considering your not a fan? Seems like if you wanted to visit another teams message board you’d talk to a “non bottom feeder”

You must have misunderstood what I was inquiring about. One more time:

"...Iowa loses most of its top guys." Explain.
Tristan Wirfs, AJ Epenesa, 2 DBs, and Stanley (whose apparently the next great QB in the NFL)

those are pretty significant losses. Even someone crossbreed between Arkansas and Iowa should understand that

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Finally, someone who wants to talk football and not troll/bash. It’s funny you mentioned the white receiver as that’s Riley McCarron who caught a quick slant and outran a couple Husker secondary players. He actually had a stint with the Patriots and returned one career punt. Grossly under used by Greg Davis.

The team speed has increased the last couple of years at the skill positions. Watch a couple highlights of the bowl game against USC. Gus Johnson raves about Smith-Marsette and Tyrone Tracy. ISM was the one who took the end around for a TD and returned the kickoff for a TD against Nebraska this past year.

Kirk made changes a couple of years ago at the WR and RB coach positions and boy has it helped a ton. Both have ties to the south and are big parts to how they got Tyler Goodson out of Georgia and look to be getting four star RB Ricky Parks from Florida this year.

Those skill positions coupled with the amazing OL class is getting Hawk fans giddy.

You mean that offense that keeps finding a way to beat the once mighties?
You’ve got a smart coach. That’s why you’ve won the last two years. We’ve got an inexperienced coach and you have a smart coach. Your coach read the game play early in the 4th Q and stuck with it. Played field position and won the game

Give the Iowa fans some time - they're probably still feeling pretty good after coming off the best season in their program's history that didn't end in a loss. Just to reiterate, a December bowl game and a third place finish in the division is a huge accomplishment for that program.

Finally, someone who wants to talk football and not troll/bash. It’s funny you mentioned the white receiver as that’s Riley McCarron who caught a quick slant and outran a couple Husker secondary players. He actually had a stint with the Patriots and returned one career punt. Grossly under used by Greg Davis.

The team speed has increased the last couple of years at the skill positions. Watch a couple highlights of the bowl game against USC. Gus Johnson raves about Smith-Marsette and Tyrone Tracy. ISM was the one who took the end around for a TD and returned the kickoff for a TD against Nebraska this past year.

Kirk made changes a couple of years ago at the WR and RB coach positions and boy has it helped a ton. Both have ties to the south and are big parts to how they got Tyler Goodson out of Georgia and look to be getting four star RB Ricky Parks from Florida this year.

Those skill positions coupled with the amazing OL class is getting Hawk fans giddy.

I hate Iowa, but I give credit where credit is do. I wish our Linebackers played with bad intentions like your LBs have. I wish we had the O-Line that you guys have had. But would not trade our playmakers for yours.

2019- Stanley has 99 yards passing, 14 yards rushing, an INT and Zero TDs against us last year?

the year before was a little better: 152 yards passing, 10 yds rushing, zero picks and 2 TDs.

still not jaw dropping stats or even good stats. is he a game manager? Sure, but game managers are a bit outdated, and don’t work in college football. Sorry, I’m just not a fan of Stanley. He’s not very impressive. Going think I’m bias but I’d take AM, Luke, and Logan over him every day of the week
Definitely a game manager so I’ve been ready for the torch to be passed. Stanley left so many points on the board the past couple of years. Iowa scored on two run plays and a KO return last year. I believe Stanley made a perfect deep throw to Tyrone Tracy for a TD but he flat out dropped it in that game too. One of a few long passes that Stanley was actually accurate on.

He really came through on that last drive though.

Tristan Wirfs, AJ Epenesa, 2 DBs, and Stanley (whose apparently the next great QB in the NFL)

those are pretty significant losses. Even someone crossbreed between Arkansas and Iowa should understand that
I'm almost certain that NorthwoodFusker was referring to Iowa losing "most of its top guys" on the recruiting trail....

...but on another note, yes, we lost some significant talent to the NFL and we may struggle to replace the impact they had for us in '19. Our Dline may be taking a step backward.

I hate Iowa, but I give credit where credit is do. I wish our Linebackers played with bad intentions like your LBs have. I wish we had the O-Line that you guys have had. But would not trade our playmakers for yours.
Ditto with me and Nebraska on giving credit. Also, ditto on playmakers pretty much every year for the past decade. This year is different, especially with Spielman possibly not coming back. Manning could end up being a stud but Iowa has more proven guys coming back. Ihmir-Smith Marsette could be drafted in the top 3 rounds. Brandon Smith could be drafted in the later rounds, if he stays healthy. Tyrone Tracy is a step under Wan’Dale but he can be that type of player for Iowa. Just needs to catch the easy throws.

Mills is a good back that would be good running the ball for Iowa but I’ll call it a wash with Goodson so you don’t think I’m a total homer. :cool:

If we are counting TE’s Iowa has a true freshman come on late in the year. Showed out in the bowl game with Joel Klatt going gaga with a statement “true freshman aren’t supposed to do that”. Could be a top two round pick after his junior year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT