ADVERTISEMENT

Transition classes: 2004, 2008, 2015, 2018 (updated 12/21, 3:35pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goodness
Incoming/ first which is what we have always been talking about on this thread and the headline of this post

No one thinks a 20th ranked class would be the best ever

No shit Sherlock, it spells it out in the OP and what's happened since the December early signing day. So congrats, you copy/paste/regurgitate two posts in consecutive threads (@Mtnhusker making sure you see this).

Nobody needs you to repeat what's already been stated, f'ing eh, go back to dm'ing recruits pretending to represent Nebraska in some fashion.

They seem to be filling holes and are also doing a good job of getting classes balanced out so we don't take 14 in one class or some crap.

Nu will have 9 four stars on signing day
We get bell tommorrow and jones on Saturday

This is on par with what several elite programs did in year 1 and will most likely be ranked 50 percent better than the previous 3 guys in year 1

By far this will be the best rated incoming class by anyone since Osborne

And that after a 4 win year and 2 losing seasons in last 3, the edge of the abyss in Nebraska football since 1961- 57 years ago and with a guy who was only a part timer his first 3 weeks here
You act as though 4 wins last year and 2 losing seasons in 3 year’s discounts 50+ years of history, not to mention discounting Frost’s undefeated season and unanimous coach of the year awards.

I get it, you think Frost is the next Osborne (who you are comparing him to), but remember, these recruits know exactly who he is. And when they see Nebraska, they can see themselves playing here and for Coach Frost. He is capitalizing on a lot of things... Nebraska facilities, tradition, fans, his own undefeated season and COY awards. He’s doing a great job at using everything at his disposal.

He very well may be the best coach we’ve had since osborne. And I’m as excited as you are that he’s here. But if he is as great a recruiter as you are suggesting, why were his 2 classes at UCF rated so low?

I am on your side, I am...but you sound a bit like a guy that still is hoping that Riley calls and asks him to the dance...tonight...that started 20 minutes ago.

Like I said...it goes like this...

I had a huge (5 inch) boner for Bo when he was hired...I had a zero inch softie when Riley was hired because I knew he was a super dork...I have a nice sized boner again for Frost. So of course myself (and all frost lovers and all "true" husker fans) are going to jock up everything right now. Just like the Riley lovers did.

It is okay, let them (us) have it...for now...but just for now...make fun of us and our wangs when it ends up sucking...which is probably will.
Well said.

You act as though 4 wins last year and 2 losing seasons in 3 year’s discounts 50+ years of history, not to mention discounting Frost’s undefeated season and unanimous coach of the year awards.

I get it, you think Frost is the next Osborne (who you are comparing him to), but remember, these recruits know exactly who he is. And when they see Nebraska, they can see themselves playing here and for Coach Frost. He is capitalizing on a lot of things... Nebraska facilities, tradition, fans, his own undefeated season and COY awards. He’s doing a great job at using everything at his disposal.

He very well may be the best coach we’ve had since osborne. And I’m as excited as you are that he’s here. But if he is as great a recruiter as you are suggesting, why were his 2 classes at UCF rated so low?
Timsum everything is relative to your competition level he recruited really well at UCF and in fact was #1 in the conference in 2017 - His impact is pretty obvious as now that he is gone their recruiting is falling. I think frost will be a great recruiter but you are right the iron is hot right now with all the great pub he is getting

Timsum everything is relative to your competition level he recruited really well at UCF and in fact was #1 in the conference in 2017 - His impact is pretty obvious as now that he is gone their recruiting is falling. I think frost will be a great recruiter but you are right the iron is hot right now with all the great pub he is getting
Agree with everything here. I believe we have the coach of the present and future and he will be here as long as he wants. His recruiting will be great. His coaching will be great. We are set for a long time.

I think recruiting will be easier for Frost than it was for Riley. He is using everything at his disposal, like Riley before him, with the added bonus of 13-0 and coach of the year awards.

We are in good hands.

I am on your side, I am...but you sound a bit like a guy that still is hoping that Riley calls and asks him to the dance...tonight...that started 20 minutes ago.

Like I said...it goes like this...

I had a huge (5 inch) boner for Bo when he was hired...I had a zero inch softie when Riley was hired because I knew he was a super dork...I have a nice sized boner again for Frost. So of course myself (and all frost lovers and all "true" husker fans) are going to jock up everything right now. Just like the Riley lovers did.

It is okay, let them (us) have it...for now...but just for now...make fun of us and our wangs when it ends up sucking...which is probably will.
Huge and 5 inches...???

Riley had the same history, facilities and tradition to recruit to.

Frost is who he is- he has his track record, work ethic, intellect, philosophy, personality, physicality, a set of skills that is unique to him. Just like Riley or any other coach would have his own unique set of skills and history.

That is what makes them different people, you cant discount someones success in recruiting because he won a couple of coaching awards. Every coach is who he is.

He is an excellent recruiter, the facts back this up Rivals Recruiting Rankings:
2017 UCF was ranked #1 for all non power 5 teams- #53 overall
2016 UCF was ranked #2 for all non power 5 teams- only behind Boise State and #57 overall- his first year coming off an OFER season.

A Non Power 5 team isnt going to have a top 20 recruiting class. The best players want to play against the best- Power 5. You have to rank Scott Frost against his peers. He consistently finished at the top of his conference as well as those conferences considered peers.

Last edited:
Riley had the same history, facilities and tradition to recruit to.

Frost is who he is- he has his track record, work ethic, intellect, philosophy, personality, physicality, a set of skills that is unique to him. Just like Riley or any other coach would have his own unique set of skills and history.

That is what makes them different people, you cant discount someones success in recruiting because he won a couple of coaching awards. Every coach is who he is.

He is an excellent recruiter, the facts back this up:
2017 UCF was ranked #1 for all non power 5 teams- #53 overall
2016 UCF was ranked #2 for all non power 5 teams- only behind Boise State and #57 overall- his first year coming off an OFER season.

A Non Power 5 team isnt going to have a top 20 recruiting class. The best players want to play against the best- Power 5. You have to rank Scott Frost against his peers. He consistently finished at the top of his conference as well as those conferences considered peers.
I do agree with you. My point was that while Riley had the same things Frost has here at Nebraska, Frost also has his own success to add to the equation. It makes him automatically more appealing. I suppose we are saying the same thing here... I think recruits can’t afford not to talk to frost...

We are in great hands, no doubt.

I do agree with you. My point was that while Riley had the same things Frost has here at Nebraska, Frost also has his own success to add to the equation. It makes him automatically more appealing. I suppose we are saying the same thing here... I think recruits can’t afford not to talk to frost...

What we are seeing is the beginning of an impact of a high level coach. This the type of guy many on here said we could never get to NU because of geography. Actually they may be right but we are very fortunate to have this coach

But if he is as great a recruiter as you are suggesting, why were his 2 classes at UCF rated so low?

Wow. First of all his first class was a transition. His second class was the highest ranked class of all G5 schools and tied for the lead in all G5 Schools with the number of 4 star recruits. I would say that within his peer group of schools he recruited quite nicely.

OK I somewhat get your point but......you have to be transparent with your thoughts on both sides. Many of the people that were huge supporters of Mike Riley also said he brought recruiting advantages to the table that Scott Frost didn't have. He had 30 years of experience and 20 as a head coach and all the connections and built up relationships. Many of these fans were saying he would kill it. I personally didn't believe it because of the intangible "players coach" thing. You either want to play for a hard coach who is going to want to get the best out of you or play for Mr. Rogers.

OK I somewhat get your point but......you have to be transparent with your thoughts on both sides. Many of the people that were huge supporters of Mike Riley also said he brought recruiting advantages to the table that Scott Frost didn't have. He had 30 years of experience and 20 as a head coach and all the connections and built up relationships. Many of these fans were saying he would kill it. I personally didn't believe it because of the intangible "players coach" thing. You either want to play for a hard coach who is going to want to get the best out of you or play for Mr. Rogers.

That is correct
Because Mike Rileys offense is what the pros use
And because MR had coached in the NFL has lots of contacts there etc
And because MR had put kids into the league
NU was supposed to be this great interim stepping stone stop off for the NFL

Meanwhile Scott Frosts teams just win and score a bunch of points in College Football using a College Football offense that pretty much no one in the Pros uses.

So NFL prep zone was sold vs winning and having fun in College. Seems like the latter is winning out so far at least from a recruiting standpoint. Im guessing we get some real competitors here who desperately want their team to win in the upcoming classes.

Wow. First of all his first class was a transition. His second class was the highest ranked class of all G5 schools and tied for the lead in all G5 Schools with the number of 4 star recruits. I would say that within his peer group of schools he recruited quite nicely.

Frustration won out yesterday. What we were seeing with Riley in terms of interest from recruits we really hadn’t seen since Callahan. I was impressed by Riley’s work put in to recruiting. He got some really good talent to sign, but also racked up some big misses.

For some reason I felt the need to defend Riley in this thread. I think he was a good recruiter who had trouble selling the recruit on the final sale. It’s way early, but Frost seems to be able to get them not only to the table, but also gets them to sign.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
. Many of the people that were huge supporters of Mike Riley also said he brought recruiting advantages to the table that Scott Frost didn't have. He had 30 years of experience and 20 as a head coach and all the connections and built up relationships. Many of these fans were saying he would kill it.

Ok I HAVE to jump in here
I remember when people were talking about Frost about mid season when it became apparent to many (not all) that Riley wasnt going to make it- or in some peoples minds needed to be transitioned out over a period time

How many times did we hear: bring Scott Frost in as the OC and have him learn from the old man with 40 years experience?, then take over after a couple of years? I laughed then, I belly laugh now. A national coach of the year who is a winner and one of the hottest names in College football is going to play second fiddle apprentice to a 500 coach with 1 winning season in the last 3, who moves like molasses?

There was no way it would ever happen, to even seriously suggest it was ludicrous. A guy like Scott isnt going to come in and work at a snails pace and only be able to implement part of his vision. You dont apprentice for a MR- you apprentice for a guy like Saban and you dont apprentice when your 40+ years and played for Walsh, Osborne, Parcells and Bellichek and coached under Snyder and Kelly LOL.

Reactions: FeelingFrosty
Ok I HAVE to jump in here
I remember when people were talking about Frost about mid season when it became apparent to many (not all) that Riley wasnt going to make it- or in some peoples minds needed to be transitioned out over a period time

How many times did we hear: bring Scott Frost in as the OC and have him learn from the old man with 40 years experience?, then take over after a couple of years? I laughed then, I belly laugh now. A national coach of the year who is a winner and one of the hottest names in College football is going to play second fiddle apprentice to a 500 coach with 1 winning season in the last 3, who moves like molasses?

There was no way it would ever happen, to even seriously suggest it was ludicrous. A guy like Scott isnt going to come in and work at a snails pace and only be able to implement part of his vision. You dont apprentice for a MR- you apprentice for a guy like Saban and you dont apprentice when your 40+ years and played for Walsh, Osborne, Parcells and Bellichek and coached under Snyder and Kelly LOL.
Not saying it didn’t happen, but I don’t remember people saying frost should come in as OC. It must have only been a few posters and not gotten a lot of traction, or I just ignored it as being silly.

Quit spewing bullshit all over this forum. Every single thread is archived, bump them today.

Not saying it didn’t happen, but I don’t remember people saying frost should come in as OC. It must have only been a few posters and not gotten a lot of traction, or I just ignored it as being silly.

Recreating history my man, that's the cool thing with recycled trash on this site.

Frost OC talk was back when Wats left Lincoln and board chatter was to bring in SF as OC/QB coach. I believe there was some talk that BP and SF were not sympatico. I might remember a Sweatervest as HC/Frost as OC combo post-BP canning, but I can't swear to that. Dubs can weigh in here.

My comment had nothing to do with people here on this forum. Ive only started coming on here in the last 3 months. Maybe it was said here, maybe not, I wouldnt have a clue.

These were in the letters to the editor in the OWH and on the local sports talk shows- even the KFAB talk guy in the late afternoon.

There is life and opinions beyond this message board LOL.

My comment had nothing to do with people here on this forum. Ive only started coming on here in the last 3 months. Maybe it was said here, maybe not, I wouldnt have a clue.

These were in the letters to the editor in the OWH and on the local sports talk shows- even the KFAB talk guy in the late afternoon.

There is life and opinions beyond this message board LOL.
You’ve been a member since 2010... why the 8 year hiatus?

Never posted then
The idea of NU actually being great again- was hoping Frost would get this based on the last 3 years of MR and Frosts success at CFU- it all looked like a real possibility after the NIU loss- timing was right.

Was not a fan of either prior coaching staffs- actually missed 3-4 home games in last 10 years- something that would have never happened in years earlier. Ive seen great football since starting to attend in 1970 and went to all the title games, many away games etc. It was disappointing watching or even talking about less than well played football.

Big fan of winning, winning with integrity and well played tight football. Only got to see that in tiny spurts from us and often times from our Opps.When I want my well played football fix, I watch Bama, love to watch Navy, K State and UCF this year of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic

There's a whole new level of excitement with Frost. Beating Auburn and the undefeated season makes a QUICK turn around at NU a pretty easy sell for Frost and his staff. It's just a completely different dynamic. Having him coach that bowl win turned in to a HUGE recruiting bonus for NU. Riley just came in to an entirely different situation with an entirely different vibe.

There's a whole new level of excitement with Frost. Beating Auburn and the undefeated season makes a QUICK turn around at NU a pretty easy sell for Frost and his staff. It's just a completely different dynamic. Having him coach that bowl win turned in to a HUGE recruiting bonus for NU. Riley just came in to an entirely different situation with an entirely different vibe.
Sure

Hiring someone coming off a 5-7 season and losing seasons in 3 of his last 5 was a huge mistake. The coach is who he is, he owns his resume. If his resume is weak, that's on him- part of who he is. Results matter- over the long haul they either validate your approach makes sense, or they dont.

At the end of the day kids werent going to buy into a vision that had never ever come to fruition to a 63 year old man. If youve never won a championship- there's something in your mind that doubts you can. OTOH if youve won championships, you KNOW you can, youve been there before and there is little or no doubt that you are "missing" something.

Last edited:
Sure

Hiring someone coming off a 5-7 season and losing seasons in 3 of his last 5 was a huge mistake. The coach is who he is, he owns his resume. If his resume is weak, that's on him- part of who he is. Results matter- over the long haul they either validate your approach makes sense, or they dont.
Was it a mistake or was it necessary to right the ship. Don't forget we did win 9 games in his second year before things fell apart this year. NO MATTER WHO REPLACED PELINI THEY WERE IN FOR A TOUGH TIME. Riley bore the brunt, changed the venom and gave us a bridge to Frost. Instead of blaming Eichorst and Riley for the past 3 years lets be thankful that Riley didn't squeak out 8 wins this year and prevent us from going after Frost. Sometimes things just work out the way they're supposed to.

Was it a mistake or was it necessary to right the ship. Don't forget we did win 9 games in his second year before things fell apart this year. NO MATTER WHO REPLACED PELINI THEY WERE IN FOR A TOUGH TIME. Riley bore the brunt, changed the venom and gave us a bridge to Frost. Instead of blaming Eichorst and Riley for the past 3 years lets be thankful that Riley didn't squeak out 8 wins this year and prevent us from going after Frost. Sometimes things just work out the way they're supposed to.

Sure at the end of the day, it worked out
Thank goodness he was awful, the timing was right and we have a great AD

But to think we are in a better shape now than 3 years ago as a program and nationally than where Bo left us? No- it would be much easier coming off a bunch of 9 and 10 win seasons. The Abyss NU is staring into is pretty dark, ranked below the likes of Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue and losing to Northern Illinois, squeaking past Arkansas State and Rutgers and getting pasted by Minny and Iowa.

I was totally cool with it- until finding out about the lack of effort, lack of pride, lack of commitment, incompetence and lack of integrity of MR<

Reactions: Huskercigar
You’ve been a member since 2010... why the 8 year hiatus?

Went back and checked
I had come here a few times and just read

There was a posting about Zack Darlington that wasnt accurate
I know his dad really well and had followed Zacks football career since he was a Soph- have all of Apopkas game films etc
Couldnt help myself to start posting I guess- one thing lead to another

May drop back out again soon- who knows

Reactions: Husker1078
Ooh, guns, guns, guns! Come on Sal, the Tigers play... tonight! Never miss a game.

Seriously, let’s step out of the past and embrace the future, it looks brighter and brighter each day for Husker Football. If I ever hear Mike Riley’s or Bo Pelini’s name again, it will be waaayyy too soon. :Cool: N

Sure at the end of the day, it worked out
Thank goodness he was awful, the timing was right and we have a great AD

But to think we are in a better shape now than 3 years ago as a program and nationally than where Bo left us? No- it would be much easier coming off a bunch of 9 and 10 win seasons. The Abyss NU is staring into is pretty dark, ranked below the likes of Iowa, Northwestern and Purdue and losing to Northern Illinois, squeaking past Arkansas State and Rutgers and getting pasted by Minny and Iowa.

I was totally cool with it- until finding out about the lack of effort, lack of pride, lack of commitment, incompetence and lack of integrity of MR<
Emotionally and Unity wise there is NO QUESTION that we're in better shape as a program. Period. End of discussion. 9 wins with HUGE blowouts and a loony head coach made us a laughing stock. We have at least comparable talent as when Bo left and emotionally our team and fans are in a MUCH better place for Frost to take the reins. You do remember that Eichorst was the AD When Pelini was canned right? You really think our program was in a better place that year with Eichorst and Pelini????? lol.

Reactions: Yossarian23
We will have to agree to disagree. no worries
We had plenty of BLOWOUT LOSSES to the likes of Minnesota and Iowa in the Riley regime- worst season since 1961

The fan base is united as it ever was because of FROST, not because of Riley. The fan base was deeply fractured in the months leading up to the Frost hire.

Once you give teams like Purdue, Rutgers, Arkansas State, Minnesota and Iowa hope, they know they can beat you and your kids get used to- yes used to losing- to even bad teams- that takes time and effort to overcome. The mind is very powerful.

We will have to agree to disagree. no worries
We had plenty of BLOWOUT LOSSES to the likes of Minnesota and Iowa in the Riley regime- worst season since 1961

The fan base is united as it ever was because of FROST, not because of Riley. The fan base was deeply fractured in the months leading up to the Frost hire.

Once you give teams like Purdue, Rutgers, Arkansas State, Minnesota and Iowa hope, they know they can beat you and your kids get used to- yes used to losing- to even bad teams- that takes time and effort to overcome. The mind is very powerful.
Sure we did but Riley didn't act like a complete fool AND Eichorst was the AD so IF Eichorst was a bad as everyone says, there is no way that it is logical to say that the program was in a better place when we canned Bo. You can't have it both ways. We were in a MUCH better place as a program the day we fired Eichorst even with Riley in the midst of a terrible season. It all happened the way it HAD to happen IMO to make things come together the way they have. You will recall even with TOM as our AD there was a HUGE division in the fan base over Pelini. HUGE. That's largely gone other than the constant misplaced loyalty of some fans to a guy that told us to get f$$$$$ as he burned the place down on the way out the door. I haven't seen our fans as on board with what's going on with our program since Tom retired. We're in a MUCH better place now than 3-4 years ago. MUCH. Similar football talent. Better national perception. Better AD, Better fan morale. Better staff in place today. ITS ALL GOOD now even coming off a terrible season.

Emotionally and Unity wise there is NO QUESTION that we're in better shape as a program. Period. End of discussion. 9 wins with HUGE blowouts and a loony head coach made us a laughing stock. We have at least comparable talent as when Bo left and emotionally our team and fans are in a MUCH better place for Frost to take the reins. You do remember that Eichorst was the AD When Pelini was canned right? You really think our program was in a better place that year with Eichorst and Pelini????? lol.

Yes there is question. Emotionally this team was handed over to SF in much worse shape then MR got it. The difference is simple. SF can change culture. MR couldn't. The cancer turned out being him and the pussification of Nebraska football. The players that weren't buying into the MR system were the ones that saw how bad it was. PERIOD. The ONLY reasons the fans and players are in better shape is BECAUSE of SF and MOOS. From MR's standpoint he took us to the depths of hell.

Sure we did but Riley didn't act like a complete fool AND Eichorst was the AD so IF Eichorst was a bad as everyone says, there is no way that it is logical to say that the program was in a better place when we canned Bo. You can't have it both ways. We were in a MUCH better place as a program the day we fired Eichorst even with Riley in the midst of a terrible season. It all happened the way it HAD to happen IMO to make things come together the way they have. You will recall even with TOM as our AD there was a HUGE division in the fan base over Pelini. HUGE. That's largely gone other than the constant misplaced loyalty of some fans to a guy that told us to get f$$$$$ as he burned the place down on the way out the door. I haven't seen our fans as on board with what's going on with our program since Tom retired. We're in a MUCH better place now than 3-4 years ago. MUCH. Similar football talent. Better national perception. Better AD, Better fan morale. Better staff in place today. ITS ALL GOOD now even coming off a terrible season.

You lost me on the first sentence when you said Riley didn't act like a complete foot. Sorry you are just wrong. He looked like a fool for three years. He just smiled while doing it.

Ac

This is amazing. You are so out of touch. The fact is the fan based was much more divided when Riley was hired. Nobody believed in them. Its been a long time since they have been has happy for firing a coach as they were with MR. I can tell you this with a guaranteed fact. If Scott Frost had taken over for Bo we would have immediately been ranked the next year. We are no where close for next year and that is due to how bad we have been the last 3 years,

Reactions: davecisar
As to the divided fan base not sure we were fiercely divided when pelini was hired
Personally I thought Tom Osborne was in charge and would make the best decision
It was between gill and pelini
There were good arguments for both
Personally Osborne knows nu football, so his choice is fine
Either was ok by me didn't feel strongly about either
In retrospect Osborne has stated he didn't know bo as well as he should have

In my circles the Riley hire was a complete surprise viewed with lots of scepticism
Lots more issues with hiring a 500 old guy no one knew than up and comers with Nebraska ties

I don't think we'll take so many JUCOs after this year. But with all of the talent nearby at the Kansas JUCOs and IWCC, plus Coach Held's JUCO connections, we'd be foolish not to consider a handful of the top JUCO guys every year at positions of need.

The #1 JUCO player in the country for 2019 is a DE from Kansas City, and he is in Counci Tucky at IWCC. I can promise you Nebraska is going to camp out near his dorm every day for the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT