ADVERTISEMENT

Transition classes: 2004, 2008, 2015, 2018 (updated 12/21, 3:35pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we did but Riley didn't act like a complete fool AND Eichorst was the AD so IF Eichorst was a bad as everyone says, there is no way that it is logical to say that the program was in a better place when we canned Bo. You can't have it both ways. We were in a MUCH better place as a program the day we fired Eichorst even with Riley in the midst of a terrible season. It all happened the way it HAD to happen IMO to make things come together the way they have. You will recall even with TOM as our AD there was a HUGE division in the fan base over Pelini. HUGE. That's largely gone other than the constant misplaced loyalty of some fans to a guy that told us to get f$$$$$ as he burned the place down on the way out the door. I haven't seen our fans as on board with what's going on with our program since Tom retired. We're in a MUCH better place now than 3-4 years ago. MUCH. Similar football talent. Better national perception. Better AD, Better fan morale. Better staff in place today. ITS ALL GOOD now even coming off a terrible season.
I can see where you're going with this and it has some validity

The place we are in today as a whole may be better

But not because of what Riley did for the program but because both him and Eichorst are gone - addition by subtraction

Turning the kids from negative thoughts about the fans is much easier to solve than getting kids to now think they should win when they are losing to the likes of Purdue and northern Illinois and getting blown out by Minnesota and iowa

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I don't know, maybe there's some confusion concerning the roster versus the program. Cornnation had a roundtable article with comments from "who knows" concerning whether Riley left NU's roster better than he found it. Some saying Riley left it better, some saying he didn't improve it. Me, I don't care.

As far as the program, I view it as being in better shape following Frost's hire.

I know for myself I am just hoping Frost is successful doing whatever it takes to get Nebraska back on the map. Argue till the cows come home about who was the best or worst of the group since Osborne but nothing said will make anyone more right than someone else. THEY ALL FAILED! Now we can all pray that FROST is successful. Forget the other crap. Time to group together and cheer on the BIG RED!

Ac
This is amazing. You are so out of touch. The fact is the fan based was much more divided when Riley was hired. Nobody believed in them. Its been a long time since they have been has happy for firing a coach as they were with MR. I can tell you this with a guaranteed fact. If Scott Frost had taken over for Bo we would have immediately been ranked the next year. We are no where close for next year and that is due to how bad we have been the last 3 years,

I agree with this-most of us were scratching our head about the Riley hire, we got why Bo made sense. When Bo got fired, it was time- but the guy was winning the games he should and 9/10 per year etc so there were some that were willing to overlook the bad behaviour for the 9/10 wins. Plausible for some.

Just like some here who were more than willing to overlook the losing seasons because our guy was nice. Not sure if that is a millennial thing or changed expectations, or if that is even coming from people that actually attend games etc. At the end of the day- the NU program isn't sustainable at the level most want-- if you have a bunch of losing seasons intermixed with a 9 win season every once in awhile- OSU style. The sellout streak would have been over his year with Riley at the helm- the deathblow. You cant sell out when you can get Ohio State tickets in front of the stadium for $20 before the game and you cant get close to face for Iowa or even Wisconsin.

Getting kids to not hate the fans- pretty darned easy
Getting kids to believe they are better than most of the teams on their schedule and can compete with the best- THAT's a challenge. Especially when ALL of your opponents see you have gotten beat by Purdue and Northern Illinois and blown out by Minny- thinking- hey we can do that too- these guys arent anything.

Frost has a much tougher job than Riley, the hole is deeper. He may have a better way/be more adept at digging himself out, nonetheless- that doesnt change that the hole is deeper from the start now than it was in 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Never posted then
The idea of NU actually being great again- was hoping Frost would get this based on the last 3 years of MR and Frosts success at CFU- it all looked like a real possibility after the NIU loss- timing was right.

Was not a fan of either prior coaching staffs- actually missed 3-4 home games in last 10 years- something that would have never happened in years earlier. Ive seen great football since starting to attend in 1970 and went to all the title games, many away games etc. It was disappointing watching or even talking about less than well played football.

Big fan of winning, winning with integrity and well played tight football. Only got to see that in tiny spurts from us and often times from our Opps.When I want my well played football fix, I watch Bama, love to watch Navy, K State and UCF this year of course.

Love watching Navy play!

I know for myself I am just hoping Frost is successful doing whatever it takes to get Nebraska back on the map. Argue till the cows come home about who was the best or worst of the group since Osborne but nothing said will make anyone more right than someone else. THEY ALL FAILED! Now we can all pray that FROST is successful. Forget the other crap. Time to group together and cheer on the BIG RED!

Looks like one of the issues is the guys that backed Riley and thought he was the answer look at every situation and win Frost gets and try to downplay it.

Frost is doing everything right and is having success beyond what most imagined at this very early date. The Riley crowd- saves face when NU fails at something. They can say- See told you so, no one can win here, no one can recruit to here, no matter how good they are etc etc Its about geography, weather, college football landscape, the competition, dog ate the homework. the refs etc.

Those people need to understand by any metric available, this Frost guy is a great hire, the perfect fit AND other big time college football programs in 2018 feel the same way.

They chose wrong, they backed a bad horse, their horse should have been sent to pasture 5 years ago and their support of him- had it gotten any traction at all would have been the death blow to NU football. After the fact we find out the guy not only wasnt a good coach, he wasnt committed, didnt work very hard and while great at accepting losing- showed he had little integrity by playing party to a scam that bilked over $1,000,000 from NU

Time to move on from him, admit you made a bad choice like one mature poster did here. You ignored all the data and telltale signs- and became obstinate towards anyone that would show you the facts. No reason to go down with the fated to sink MR ship- when he could care 2 licks about you or NU football. Stop apologising for him, stop downplaying the successes NU is getting now and get behind the very best chance NU has had at legit success since 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT