ADVERTISEMENT

Top Remaining Targets for Nebraska

DudznSudz

Senior
Feb 4, 2016
Desmond Bland - OG - Does he get his grades/class requirements figured out? JUCO

John Bivens - RB - Do we need another 4 star running back?

Renato Bronwn - DT - A 3 star DT we can turn into a NG because he's 6'3" and 310, so he has the perfect build for it.

Soni Funua - DE - JUCO 3 star DE we seem to have interest in.

Desmond Little - OLB - 3 star pass rusher from Alabama.

Brandon Mack - OLB - 3 star OLB pass rusher.

Tavian Mayo - CB - 3 star CB we're still interested in, buuuuut

Jamel Starks - CB - we may be interested in this guy more.

Charles Njoku - WR - In my opinion, our top WR target until February; brother in the NFL, big bodied almost TE style WR. We should try to nab him ASAP.

Noa Pola-Gates - 4 star CB. WE WANT HIM!

Matthew Pola-Mao - 4 star DT. Cousin of Noa. WE WANT HIM TOO!

Thoughts on our odds here, everyone?

Desmond Bland - OG - Does he get his grades/class requirements figured out? JUCO

Renato Bronwn - DT - A 3 star DT we can turn into a NG because he's 6'3" and 310, so he has the perfect build for it.

Charles Njoku - WR - In my opinion, our top WR target until February; brother in the NFL, big bodied almost TE style WR. We should try to nab him ASAP.

I'll take Bland, Njoku, Mayo, Pola Gates and his cousin and call it a day.

I have zero problems with that.

We have, what, 24 signees? And we can take 29-30? So...we can take like 5 more, safely?

Mayo may still yet sign with WVU during the early period

I would trade Mayo out---IF we get NPG ---for another pass rushing 3-4 OLB (one has to finally work out, right?)

Also, I think Starks is holding out for ANY SEC offer

What a drastic difference in RB recruiting from just a couple years ago. From, “can we find just one to commit?” to “do we have room for another 4*?”

Oh totally! And we're getting a bunch of them that are supposed to be pass-catchers, old-school wingbacks (the Duck-R is really just that), and traditional RB's. I think that Frost, like Kelly, recognizes that it's an extremely versatile role and you can do a ton of different things with it.

Oh totally! And we're getting a bunch of them that are supposed to be pass-catchers, old-school wingbacks (the Duck-R is really just that), and traditional RB's. I think that Frost, like Kelly, recognizes that it's an extremely versatile role and you can do a ton of different things with it.

Glad you brought up the Wingback...it is humorous to think back at how often we heard NUs offense was antiquated back in the 80s/90s yet the "modern" spread offense---Urbs, Mullen, Chip K, Frost, etc--as well as The Pistol---are actually derivatives of the Osborne offense and his blocking schemes, utilizing his ideas on how to put stressers on a Defense. Osborne himself stated Urb's offense is what his was evolving to and would have looked like had he continued to coach .

Sorry to hijack

Reactions: GILL T
Glad you brought up the Wingback...it is humorous to think back at how often we heard NUs offense was antiquated back in the 80s/90s yet the "modern" spread offense---Urbs, Mullen, Chip K, Frost, etc--as well as The Pistol---are actually derivatives of the Osborne offense and his blocking schemes, utilizing his ideas on how to put stressers on a Defense. Osborne himself stated Urb's offense is what his was evolving to and would have looked like had he continued to coach .

Sorry to hijack

Great point! I think, at the time, people were saying "Oh, the Option, I-Formation offense is outdated because AIR RAID and I'm a stupid jock announcer whose brain is liquid mush." (I know, its a going trend with me, but I absolutely hate most TV sports analysts and announcers; I think they are overpaid dumbasses who I wouldn't trust to tell me the f-ing time.)

To your point though, Osborne saw his greatest success when he did two things: Upgrade the D scheme and recruit much faster players for his offense. This was, specifically, to beat Miami, Florida, FSU, and any other team that was good at the time, because those teams were winning with speed.

A zone-option offense is, from what I understand and watching them in action, a much more elaborate version of what Osborne had been doing for years. It adds far more screen and bubble passes, sweeps, passes down to the sidelines, misdirection, etc, but the core of it is based on the same principles (you have to play 11 men, so you can't rely on a double-team often, and the attack can come from multiple places at any given time).

To me, Kelly was the biggest innovator, in that he added a huge emphasis on speed and stressing a defense where it is weakest by being willing to use players in very unique ways that played to the strength of whoever he had at the time. I think Kelly realized that at the end of the day, if I score points quickly, the other team will fold mentally, which just makes them that much easier to beat through four quarters.

With Frost, we have a guy that comes from Kelly's school but who is steeped in the Osborne tradition. I think it's a phenomenal place for this program to be, honestly.

What's the latest with Dedrick Mills and when is he expected to sign?

Everyone says yeah, probably by tomorrow but at the latest by February. He's just finalizing some grade issues.

Everyone seems to be thinking Bland is the one who won't make it.

Reactions: cvogele29
He seems to be blowing up. Recent offers from: Nebraska, Miami, UNC, Maryland, TCU. He just switched from RB to LB this season, so I wonder if his SR tape just got out and got everyone's attention. 3-star on TOS, fwiw.

Brandon Mack just decommitted from Pitt. Between him, Little and Asante, I wonder how many they would take and who #1 is?

“After talking to his family”, he found out Christmas presents are bigger in the SEC! RollingLaugh

Surely Ole Miss isn’t stupid enough to get dirty south while they’re under sanctions..
I mean they want to win and that's the only way they can...so yeah I'd be more surprised if they didn't.

They won't get the death penalty regardless what they do so what does it really matter?

Not thoughts on the odds, but I’ve got a thought that this list is from a VIP article on TOS...

Mack’s only got one more visit left open I believe, so hope we can lock up that spot.

The race to the February finish is gonna be interesting.

Njoku, two Polas, and one of the pass rushing candidates (I default to coaches) would be my top targets.

Let’s close this thing out strong peeps!

Shout out to the IWCC walk on Center. That’s a nice addition. Hope Bland makes it, but it’s a nice body to have in the fold if Bland is gone.

Surely Ole Miss isn’t stupid enough to get dirty south while they’re under sanctions..
What sanctions??
The NCAA only slapped them on the wrist, then in November decided to reverse their “punishment”.

NCAA is nothing more than limp d*ck pansy cucks when it comes to dealing with the $EC.

Reactions: Hedley Lemar
What sanctions??
The NCAA only slapped them on the wrist, then in November decided to reverse their “punishment”.

NCAA is nothing more than limp d*ck pansy cucks when it comes to dealing with the $EC.

Maybe but you keep prodding the bull and eventually you’ll get the horn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT