ADVERTISEMENT

Top player N state Christian Jones N soon?

We need to enjoy T-White this year. He gone after this season, unfortunately 😢

Very possible, but I think it has to be the right job. UCLA ain’t opening up after Foster’s 1st season and outside of UCLA I don’t think TW will take an “average” P5 offer. He will want a place that has the resources and track record of be able to win at that school. He won’t go to some place like Miss St, Vanderbilt, Minnesota or Illinois (or pretty much any big XII team) JMO

Very possible, but I think it has to be the right job. UCLA ain’t opening up after Foster’s 1st season and outside of UCLA I don’t think TW will take an “average” P5 offer. He will want a place that has the resources and track record of be able to win at that school. He won’t go to some place like Miss St, Vanderbilt, Minnesota or Illinois (or pretty much any big XII team) JMO
Minnesota or Illinois would be a pretty big get for your first head coaching job IMO.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think a lot of people would agree with you. But you’re never winning anything of significance at those schools.
In this new B1G they would have to really hit something big in recruiting to get past middle of the pack.

Reactions: V-Doub
I think a lot of people would agree with you. But you’re never winning anything of significance at those schools.
Agreed but it’s pretty uncommon for a first time head coach to be offered the keys to top 10 unless he was there to help build it.

Agreed but it’s pretty uncommon for a first time head coach to be offered the keys to top 10 unless he was there to help build it.

It actually happens all the time, not really all that uncommon… Venables to OU, Riley at OU, Foster to UCLA (not sure if he was even a coordinator 🤷‍♂️) Pelini to Nebraska, Belima to Wisconsin, Charlie Weis to ND, Dan Lanning to Oregon, Dabo Sweeney to Clemson, Kirby Smart to UGA, Jimbo Fisher to FSU, Ryan Day to OSU, Sharone Moore to Michigan, Mike Gundy at OSU, Mario Cristobal to Oregon. Probably a bunch I can’t think of too. That was literally just off the top of my head.

Edit… Lane Kiffin to UT, Steve Sarkisian to Washington, Kevin Sumlin to Houston, Bob Stoops to OU, Paul Cryst to Pitt, Bill O’Brien to Penn St, Frank Solich at Nebraska, Ed Orgeron to LSU (was interim HC at USC for a month before getting hired by LSU)

Last edited:
Reactions: RBigredMax
It actually happens all the time, not really all that uncommon… Venables to OU, Riley at OU, Foster to UCLA (not sure if he was even a coordinator 🤷‍♂️) Pelini to Nebraska, Belima to Wisconsin, Charlie Weis to ND, Dan Lanning to Oregon, Dabo Sweeney to Clemson, Kirby Smart to UGA, Jimbo Fisher to FSU, Ryan Day to OSU, Sharone Moore to Michigan, Mike Gundy at OSU, Mario Cristobal to Oregon. Probably a bunch I can’t think of too. That was literally just off the top of my head.
with the exception of Weiss and Smart and Venebals that entire list of head coaches was already on staff at the school and was an internal promotion. That was what I meant when I said already there to help build it (I didn’t make that clear).

An internal promotion to the keys of the program is one thing, but to get the keys as an outsider with no head coaching is experience is much less common.

with the exception of Weiss and Smart and Venebals that entire list of head coaches was already on staff at the school and was an internal promotion. That was what I meant when I said already there to help build it (I didn’t make that clear).

An internal promotion to the keys of the program is one thing, but to get the keys as an outsider with no head coaching is experience is much less common.

That’s not true. Pelini was not an internal promotion, Sarkisian was not an internal promotion, Bill O’Brien wasn’t, Dan Lanning wasn’t, Ed Orgeron wasn’t. So saying only Smart, Venables, Weis only count is totally misrepresenting the truth.

Plus, who says getting promoted from coordinator at your school to HC doesn’t count as a 1st time head coaching job? Every single coach on my list became a 1st time head after being a coordinator. Being promoted at the same school does not negate that.

Reactions: scarletred
That’s not true. Pelini was not an internal promotion, Sarkisian was not an internal promotion, Bill O’Brien wasn’t, Dan Lanning wasn’t, Ed Orgeron wasn’t. So saying only Smart, Venables, Weis only count is totally misrepresenting the truth.

Plus, who says getting promoted from coordinator at your school to HC doesn’t count as a 1st time head coaching job? Every single coach on my list became a 1st time head after being a coordinator. Being promoted at the same school does not negate that.
I’m not saying it doesn’t count as a first time head coaching job - obviously it does. But to say that Tony white getting the MN job is beneath him and he should be at a top 15 school with a chance to make the playoffs in year 1 or he shouldn’t take the job is not a good take.

Some of the schools you added later in your edit aren’t top 15 schools (Houston, Penn st when O’Brien took over was a dumpster fire,) and in fairness when I was talking about the list it wasn’t your updated one :)

Point well made, but will stand by the fact that if Tony could get a job like MN or IL it would be a great first head coaching opportunity. IMO

I’m not saying it doesn’t count as a first time head coaching job - obviously it does. But to say that Tony white getting the MN job is beneath him and he should be at a top 15 school with a chance to make the playoffs in year 1 or he shouldn’t take the job is not a good take.

Some of the schools you added later in your edit aren’t top 15 schools (Houston, Penn st when O’Brien took over was a dumpster fire,) and in fairness when I was talking about the list it wasn’t your updated one :)

Point well made, but will stand by the fact that if Tony could get a job like MN or IL it would be a great first head coaching opportunity. IMO

If Tony White is regarded as a top 5-10 coordinator after this season, then yes, he should see himself as being better than the Minnesota job. JMO

Reactions: RBigredMax

And Venebals was at OU for 12 years or so as their DC before he left for Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT