ADVERTISEMENT

Timing is everything, coach K should know that.

You're missing the big white elephant in the room. K lied about it at the presser and tossed the kid under the bus, on top of acting like a sore loser and a two faced dork. K has coached some pretty classless players in his time.

I hear what you are saying. I'm guessing Coach K was caught off guard that Brooks told the press about their conversation--> those are usually private conversations. K made a mistake how he handled the situation (as the coach/adult). Brooks was still an idiot the whole game, and seemed contrite when K called him out for it. Again, hopefully he will learn from this situation, since he has NBA talent.

Poor coach K used "responded incorrectly" in his weak press release today. "I am a sore-losing liar" was apparently too honest.
exactly correct. The kid half heartedly heaved up a long distance 3 as the shot clock expired and now he's the bad guy? You play to the buzzer. Nothing looks dumber to me than the guys walking off the court before time is expired. IF I'm the coach and my guys are down by 10, I'm telling them to not foul but play til the buzzer like it's a one point game.

I guess I'm not seeing where the controversy is. Legendary coach (who has been highly successful and respected by NBA all stars besides what he has done at the college level) tells an opposing player in a calm way (almost has a smile on his face) that he is too good of a player to be an idiot (my words, not his). In a vacuum, there is nothing wrong with this, and may help Brooks in the long run. I understand it could have been done at a different time, but it's not like he ripped the kid a new one on national TV.
I also think G Allen should have been suspended by Duke for his first trip during the season, so I'm not condoning that.
You miss the point. He flat out lied...and it was about a long shot at the end of the shot clock. How is that defensible?

I didn't like what Coach K did, but now at least he has owned up to it and admitted that it was not his place to say that to an opposing player. To me the bigger joke was Grayson Allen refusing to shake anyone's hand. Here's a petulant asshat who has twice intentionally tripped opponents, and who showboats as much as anyone in the game when his team is winning - and suddenly he's a paragon of good sportsmanship?

You miss the point. He flat out lied...and it was about a long shot at the end of the shot clock. How is that defensible?

I understand he made a mistake during the press conference. I would benignly suggest that others are missing a point: this wasn't about the shot (or just about the shot) with 10 secs left---> it was about a player talking trash and acting like a moron for 40 minutes.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I didn't like what Coach K did, but now at least he has owned up to it and admitted that it was not his place to say that to an opposing player. To me the bigger joke was Grayson Allen refusing to shake anyone's hand. Here's a petulant asshat who has twice intentionally tripped opponents, and who showboats as much as anyone in the game when his team is winning - and suddenly he's a paragon of good sportsmanship?
Way more than twice

I understand he made a mistake during the press conference. I would benignly suggest that others are missing a point: this wasn't about the shot (or just about the shot) with 10 secs left---> it was about a player talking trash and acting like a moron for 40 minutes.
Grayson Allen?

Reactions: baseball31ne
Just fyi: Even Brooks acknowledged the conversation should have stayed private:

On Friday, Brooks said he didn't feel like he did anything wrong, but he expressed remorse for publicizing the details of the exchange.

"Me and Coach K, that conversation should have stayed with us," Brooks said. "But overall, me and Coach K are both professionals, and I have to move on from this situation and focus on Oklahoma."

K got caught off guard in front of 50 mics when confronted with Brooks' statements. He made a mistake and lied. Maybe I'm just getting old, but how about looking at the thousands of good things coach K has done vs mistakes. I'm sure every single person on this board would say some pretty stupid things occasionally if you had to talk to reporters every day for 30 years (esp during emotional times right after a game). He can coach my kids any day of the week.

Reactions: scarletred
Grayson Allen?
I already addressed it above. I don't understand why he didn't get suspended for the first trip this year. K isn't a saint, but his lifetime scoreboard of good deeds vs mistakes isn't even close.

I already addressed it above. I don't understand why he didn't get suspended for the first trip this year. K isn't a saint, but his lifetime scoreboard of good deeds vs mistakes isn't even close.
His past has nothing to do with this.

His past has nothing to do with this.
Again, I say this benignly, because I understand everyone's points. I'm not even some big Duke fan.
But really, someone's past actions have no bearing on how you interpret one moment? And a pretty benign moment at that. He didn't throw a chair across the floor. He didn't scream at the kid and embarrass his on national TV. He isn't tied to some academic or sex scandal.The guy lied in the heat of the moment and apologized within 24hrs. He has built a lifetime of good will. If Brooks hadn't brought it up, no one else would have known about it. Everyone, and I mean everyone makes mistakes. Hell, I watched a coach slam a clipboard on the ground when his player missed a layup during a 5th grade game last week--> that guy has a history of losing his cool during youth sports. His actions were consistent with his history. He shouldn't be around kids.) Coach K doesn't have a history of confronting other players/lying/etc....

Have a good Easter everyone.

Last edited:
Jason McCallum tweets:
There were 7 instances this season in which a Duke starter took a shot in the final 45 seconds when the Duke lead was at least 15 points...

1. With an 80-65 lead and 20 seconds left in game vs Florida State on February 25, Grayson Allen (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
2. With a 79-58 lead and 10 seconds left in game vs Virginia Tech on January 9, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
3. With a 91-75 lead and 11 seconds left in game at Wake Forest on January 6, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
4. With a 100-81 lead with 9 seconds left in game vs Long Beach State on December 30, Matt Jones (starter) took a 3-pointer (made)
5. With an 85-50 lead with 43 seconds left in game vs Utah State on November 29, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)
6. With an 80-60 lead with 40 seconds left in game vs Yale on November 25, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a 3-pointer (missed)
7. With a 92-71 lead with 29 seconds left in game vs Siena on November 13, Brandon Ingram (starter) took a jumper (missed)

This is all pretty funny coming from Husker fans. When our dominant football teams scored without effort at the end of games, opposing fans and coaches would question it. 99 percent of our fans say "Don't like it, stop it". They are big boys, they can take it. Well, except for K.

Some people are making this a bigger deal then it really should be.

Coach K appaulized after the fact and owned up to it.

Reactions: jeans15
What would people say if an opposing coach did this to one of Pope Tom's players, then lied about it after? And then when caught in his lie he took no real responsibility. The super-fans in this state would remember it for years, and bring it up until they are too old to have a real comeback for anyone not living in the past with them.

Reactions: Yossarian23
I'm excited to catch my kid in a lie and getting the response, "I reacted incorrectly ..."

Seriously? How about apologizing for lying about the incident? To me, that's a far bigger deal than what he said after the game. Integrity doesn't require a 24-hour review and you don't get a grace period for it.

Sorry, but Coach K has earned respect as a world-class coach and if he thinks someone is show boating, he can say it.

There are very few more accomplished and respected coaches in all of basketball.

I don't love Duke, but I can respect what they've accomplished and maybe the Oregon kid can learn a lesson from him.

Utter nonsense. At no time does tenure absolve you from being a lying douchebag.

I agree that Coach K did not handle this well. I was disappointed in what he said/did. However, one reason (NOT excuse) may very well have been the entire Oregon team talking trash before and during the game. That is one thing that Coach K has an issue with, both with his players and other players. I sat 3 rows behind the bench in one game where Coach K called a TO solely to get in Jason Williams' face about his pointing toward the NC St bench and letting out a bellow after making a long 3-pointer. Duke people who were at the Oregon game said that the entire game was one long trash-talking fest by the Ducks and several times during TO's Coach K told his players to stop letting the trash talking effect them. Hey, if it works. But Dillon's shot may have been that small straw that broke the camel's back. I found it interesting that the Duke fans I spoke with reacted very similarly to the way that NU fans initially reacted when KSU became a real threat in football. Kind of shrugged it off as "new kids on the block, but they probably should grow up if they are consistently be a top team."

I agree that Coach K did not handle this well. I was disappointed in what he said/did. However, one reason (NOT excuse) may very well have been the entire Oregon team talking trash before and during the game. That is one thing that Coach K has an issue with, both with his players and other players. I sat 3 rows behind the bench in one game where Coach K called a TO solely to get in Jason Williams' face about his pointing toward the NC St bench and letting out a bellow after making a long 3-pointer. Duke people who were at the Oregon game said that the entire game was one long trash-talking fest by the Ducks and several times during TO's Coach K told his players to stop letting the trash talking effect them. Hey, if it works. But Dillon's shot may have been that small straw that broke the camel's back. I found it interesting that the Duke fans I spoke with reacted very similarly to the way that NU fans initially reacted when KSU became a real threat in football. Kind of shrugged it off as "new kids on the block, but they probably should grow up if they are consistently be a top team."

Missing the bigger issue. Coach K deliberately made a choice to lie about his post-game words.

Honestly, I don't even care what he said to Brooks. I do care that when he's asked a direct question he made a choice to lie about it. That's not the behavior I expect from a leader.

This is all well and good, but the fact that Grayson Allen plays for your team makes it a moot point.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT