ADVERTISEMENT

Time to rethink our non conference schedules?

As much as I like the idea more now than ever, Moos won't be able to dial 1-800-Creampuff any time soon. There are practically no open slots to schedule anyone in the non-con until the third week of 2024.

All things included, the 2021 schedule might be the most difficult schedule the Nebraska football program will ever have.

Reactions: jeans15
Yes..its stupid to schedule a hard non conference schedule when you play a 9 game conference schedule.

We should be guaranteeing wins.

Teams build momentum every year off easy schedules at the beginning of the year.

Yes..its stupid to schedule a hard non conference schedule when you play a 9 game conference schedule.

Teams build momentum every year off easy schedules at the beginning of the year.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Build confidence. Build depth.

Reactions: jeans15
LOL this year non conference was easy. the problem is nebraska is not good right now.
south alabama 1-7
northern illinois 3-6
colorado 3-6

2020 schedule:
Central MI 6-4 (lost to Miami by 5, beat N IL by 38)
South Dakota State 7-2 (lost to MN by 7)
Cincinnati 7-1 (beat UCLA by 10, UCF by 3)

Reactions: Bugeater and WHCSC
2020 schedule:
Central MI 6-4 (lost to Miami by 5, beat N IL by 38)
South Dakota State 7-2 (lost to MN by 7)
Cincinnati 7-1 (beat UCLA by 10, UCF by 3)
sdsu FCS
cinci a non power 5 team that would not have that record if they played in power 5. they beat ucla and ucla sucks
central michigan was also 1-11 last year and did not win a fbs game. they have a bunch of grad transfers this year. they did that to niu because niu is a BAD team. central michigan also lost to wisconsin 61-0

Reactions: artguy68
we have Oklahoma coming up as well ... put those in the win column per our AD

There’s nothing wrong with making a bold prediction, although Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos’ words may sting Oklahoma football fans and also provide a little bulletin-board material.

Moos was recently asked if there were any special plans for the 50-year anniversary of the “Game of the Century” played between Oklahoma and Nebraska when the Sooners visit Lincoln.

“The most special thing we’re going to do is beat them,” Moos said

sdsu FCS
cinci a non power 5 team that would not have that record if they played in power 5. they beat ucla and ucla sucks
central michigan was also 1-11 last year and did not win a fbs game. they have a bunch of grad transfers this year. they did that to niu because niu is a BAD team. central michigan also lost to wisconsin 61-0

I'm not saying that any of them are going to be playoff teams next year, but:

SDSU >> USA
CMU >> NIU
CIN >> CU

Reactions: bigredhunter
When the day comes where Nebraska starts beating the likes of this years non conference teams in convincing fashion, schedules like next year won’t be as big of a concern.

As far as next years schedule goes, all of those teams could beat Nebraska if the 2019 version shows up and flounders around.

I see we are already starting to lay the ground work for continued underachievement into next year and beyond by whining about schedules. Just when I thought the bar couldn’t be lowered any further the apologists have grabbed their shovels and are moving it below ground. Forget Iowa, we are well on our way to having Indiana and Purdue expectations where simply becoming bowl eligible garners wild praise.

Last edited:
Many Iowa fans would love to see Nebraska cover Iowa State for a couple years for a home and home. Mississippi State was the most recent P5 for K-State.
Once Campbell vacates the Clones soon then they’ll go back to being the Rutgers of the Big12

Wisconsin schedules some real opponents.
- They play ND in 2020
- They also recently played Alabama
- Plus they played LSU recently too

So does Ohio State
- They just finished playing Oklahoma
- They also play ND in a couple years

Michigan does as well
- They played ND in 2018 and 2019

Penn State does something
- They play Pitt every year
- They also recently played UCF

Even Iowa plays ISU every year

So why is Nebraska the only school that needs 3-straight DII opponets??

We need to stop whining about the schedules. We play in a relatively weak conference division. We haven't had an elite nonconference opponent in a long time. When we play teams like Ohio State, we should be good enough where we have a chance of beating them. I'd much rather play Ohio State every year than a crap team like Rutgers, but we need to get to the point where we can at least make the games competitive.

Reactions: Bremser
Nebraska football needs to die so we can rebuilt it, and rebuilt it pissed off, schedule be damned.

Edit: I mean we died with Mike Riley/SE obviously so maybe now we’re rebuilding, but it will take time. I’m not worried about the future but that future also includes actual assistant coaches ($).

Last edited:
OSU non-conference.

2020 – at Oregon
2021 – Oregon
2022 – Notre Dame
2023 – at Notre Dame
2024 – at Washington
2025 – at Texas, Washington
2026 – Texas
2030 – at Georgia
2031 – Georgia

OSU non-conference.

2020 – at Oregon
2021 – Oregon
2022 – Notre Dame
2023 – at Notre Dame
2024 – at Washington
2025 – at Texas, Washington
2026 – Texas
2030 – at Georgia
2031 – Georgia

Each one would be a blowout for us.

We are nowhere near Ohio St.

Blowouts in games like that are bad for the program

Wisconsin schedules some real opponents.
- They play ND in 2020
- They also recently played Alabama
- Plus they played LSU recently too

So does Ohio State
- They just finished playing Oklahoma
- They also play ND in a couple years

Michigan does as well
- They played ND in 2018 and 2019

Penn State does something
- They play Pitt every year
- They also recently played UCF

Even Iowa plays ISU every year

So why is Nebraska the only school that needs 3-straight DII opponets??
This is one of the most innacurate posts ive ever read on here.

This is one of the most innacurate posts ive ever read on here.
Let me give examples..
1 penn state PLYAED pitt every year thats done with they do not have them on the schedule next year or to my knowledge anytime
Nu has played oregon, miami, colorado. In years past with some pretty good non power5 schools as well..
Future opponents you ask? Oklahoma. Tenn. Arizona.. and Colorado again.. hence the thread starter

Bill Snyder and Kirk Ferentz approves
We at Colorado believe at lease one or two games should be scheduled against inferior opponents as we fine tune the machine that is Buff football. As such, we'd like to keep the Huskers on the early schedule as often as possible.

We at Colorado believe at lease one or two games should be scheduled against inferior opponents as we fine tune the machine that is Buff football. As such, we'd like to keep the Huskers on the early schedule as often as possible.
Big talk for a 3-6 team. Actually as an OSU fan we are always looking for an easy win. Any chance we can get the Buffs on our schedule?

Let me give examples..
1 penn state PLYAED pitt every year thats done with they do not have them on the schedule next year or to my knowledge anytime
Nu has played oregon, miami, colorado. In years past with some pretty good non power5 schools as well..
Future opponents you ask? Oklahoma. Tenn. Arizona.. and Colorado again.. hence the thread starter
We play at Virgina Tech next year for a two game series. After that we play Auburn home and away and then West Virginia.
However, like many of you I agree that the ridiculous nine conference games makes playing a difficult out of conference schedule brutal.

Here are some clues:
8-0
#1 in the CFP rankings.
We play in the Big 10.
I'm guessing THE Ohio State University. Sadly you do not fit the criteria for a cupcake opponent for my Buffs in our out of conference early season. However happy to see you in the playoffs.
BTW, your boy Chase Young is a generational player and fun to watch!

I'm guessing THE Ohio State University. Sadly you do not fit the criteria for a cupcake opponent for my Buffs in our out of conference early season. However happy to see you in the playoffs.
BTW, your boy Chase Young is a generational player and fun to watch!
We're not in the playoffs yet. Plenty of tough games ahead before that is decided. However you do fit our criteria for a cupcake opponent. You guys have tailspinned after a 2-0 start and top 25 ranking. Nebraska is actually 1 win closer to a bowl bid than the Buffs, although I think that will be difficult to achieve,Good luck the rest of the season.

Look at the typical non-conf schedules of decades past. In 1987 NU played UCLA, Arizona St, an South Carolina back to back to back. Non-conf schedules are a joke by today's standards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT