ADVERTISEMENT

Time to bring Turner home?

He's been retired awhile now.
I could see this as a reason. But the idea that we don't want him because he doesn't have the credentials or because he is a tie to the past is silly.
MJ was likely supposed to be the guy that was the tie. Losing him hurt on several levels.

This isn't about embracing the past. I can embrace the past and work to get to that level of success without having someone from that era on the coaching staff.

Turner Gill is a fine coach, but this is simply about Nebraska fans needing to have some sort of connection to the past on the coaching staff.

This isn't about embracing the past. I can embrace the past and work to get to that level of success without having someone from that era on the coaching staff.

Turner Gill is a fine coach, but this is simply about Nebraska fans needing to have some sort of connection to the past on the coaching staff.
Oh I don't think you need a guy from the past or Turner Gill on the coaching staff, but I do think the waters are muddied.

Too many people don't understand that we have not actually gone and tried what made Tom successful.

So they want to abandon the past, that is fine, but it's been abandoned for 20 plus years already.

I would like to see someone with a sack stand up and use that old formula and return Nebraska to it's former glory.

But everyone is too afraid to actually do it.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Oh I don't think you need a guy from the past or Turner Gill on the coaching staff, but I do think the waters are muddied.

Too many people don't understand that we have not actually gone and tried what made Tom successful.

So they want to abandon the past, that is fine, but it's been abandoned for 20 plus years already.

I would like to see someone with a sack stand up and use that old formula and return Nebraska to it's former glory.

What exactly do you mean by that? Run the option I with a fullback and run-first quarterback?

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by that? Run the option I with a fullback and run first quarterback?
We should become predominately a running team. It doesn't have to be in the I formation and all of those fullback details, but yes, I would dig up the old playbook.

I think the current administration wants the lines to be addressed like they used to be. Alvarez used that basic strategy at Wisconsin for a long time. Basically ripped off the Nebraska identity and installed it up there.

The little details don't need to be the same as what Tom did, but the big picture detail should be. We would have success again.

This is what people long for and incorrectly think that by bringing in an ex player, that they would be able to replicate what Tom did, except guys like Frost think they know better and want to put their own stamp on things.. Success leaves clues but mostly guys want to do it their own way and have failed.

Tom used to get a lot of flack for his offense. But he would always point out the inclement weather and recruiting challenges, and those things haven't changed.

It has little to do with fear of doing it. There are a lot of successful coaches in the world and none of them have made a decision to adopt the Osborne offense of the 1980's and 1990's. Why? The same reason no one runs a wishbone offense.

We should become predominately a running team. It doesn't have to be in the I formation and all of those fullback details, but yes, I would dig up the old playbook.

I think the current administration wants the lines to be addressed like they used to be. Alvarez used that basic strategy at Wisconsin for a long time. Basically ripped off the Nebraska identity and installed it up there.

The little details don't need to be the same as what Tom did, but the big picture detail should be. We would have success again.

This is what people long for and incorrectly think that by bringing in an ex player, that they would be able to replicate what Tom did, except guys like Frost think they know better and want to put their own stamp on things.. Success leaves clues but mostly guys want to do it their own way and have failed.

Tom used to get a lot of flack for his offense. But he would always point out the inclement weather and recruiting challenges, and those things haven't changed.
Weather is such a cop out. There are schools that play in similar weather conditions that are able to throw the ball with success.

Running the ball a vast majority of the time is done by a lot of teams. What you need to have, in today's football, is a QB that can throw the ball effectively as well. There is a reason teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin can have success in the Big Ten West, but lose the majority of the games they play against more talented teams and more balanced teams. Teams that can match their offensive size, can stuff the run and dictate that they pass the ball. If that opponent can get a lead, their offensive limitiations prevent them from coming from behind, against those good teams.

Too many people only want to look at the 3-4 years of the Osborne era when they were winning every game. The other 21-22 years were very much like what I described in the previous paragraph.

Weather is such a cop out. There are schools that play in similar weather conditions that are able to throw the ball with success.

Running the ball a vast majority of the time is done by a lot of teams. What you need to have, in today's football, is a QB that can throw the ball effectively as well. There is a reason teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin can have success in the Big Ten West, but lose the majority of the games they play against more talented teams and more balanced teams. Teams that can match their offensive size, can stuff the run and dictate that they pass the ball. If that opponent can get a lead, their offensive limitiations prevent them from coming from behind, against those good teams.

Too many people only want to look at the 3-4 years of the Osborne era when they were winning every game. The other 21-22 years were very much like what I described in the previous paragraph.
I don't think weather is a cop out.

Nebraska would do well to at least get to the level of success of some of the other schools in the big ten west.

I agree that for a large portion of Tom's career, that is exactly what we were. That is still considered successful by today's standards.

On top of that, there just aren't enough good QB's at the college level to really operate a complex passing game effectively.

Heck, there aren't enough pro level QB's to go around either.

Wisconsin used Nebraska's formula for the last 20 years and have had more success than we have trying to run every new fangled offense that comes out.

Until proven otherwise, the only way Nebraska can be successful in the long term, is getting back to running the ball.

If you want to try to be a passing team, you might get a perfect QB and group of players every 20 years to make a championship run, but the rest of the time you're just not going to be very good.

I would like to see us return to respectability on a regular basis, than be a crap sub .500 team for long stretches at a time.

If you want a link to the past, if you want someone who knows the game and has coached quarterbacks, if you want someone who helped create two All-American quarterbacks and a Heisman trophy winner, go get Turner Gill.

He's working a piddling job at Arkansas but might be open to the position.

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
No.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT