ADVERTISEMENT

Time to bring Turner home?

TTown Tom

Walk On
Dec 5, 2022
If you want a link to the past, if you want someone who knows the game and has coached quarterbacks, if you want someone who helped create two All-American quarterbacks and a Heisman trophy winner, go get Turner Gill.

He's working a piddling job at Arkansas but might be open to the position.

BRING TURNER HOME!!!

If you want a link to the past, if you want someone who knows the game and has coached quarterbacks, if you want someone who helped create two All-American quarterbacks and a Heisman trophy winner, go get Turner Gill.

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
Turner Gill i feel would be a great hire. Great experience and a great guy!!
Known him for yrs and yrs.

Reactions: ssmill777 and GaRed

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
And how about Barney Cotton. Can he coach wide receivers?

Last edited:

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
Were done with the past... it's time to move on and try new things

Reactions: TheNewNU

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
We’ve had enough BS with the links to the past! WTF

Reactions: JDD1959
Personally believe it’s time to rid ourselves of the past and burn it all down, build back fresh. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they were discontinued the blackshirt tradition.

Did you miss the fact that he was head coach at three fbs schools?
If didn't have "used to coach at Nebraska" on his resume not one single person would want him here. The fact he coached somewhere else is irrelevant. Anyway, I don't argue about stupid shit that is never going to happen, and Turner Gill isn't going to be on Rhule's staff. Period. So let's move on.

BRING TURNER HOME!!please tell me you’re joking? 🤦🏻‍♂️

LOL at the people who have one (1) criteria on their "desired qualifications" list: used to coach at Nebraska.
Yeah I'll sit this one out because I was pretty aggressive in the Mickey debates and it turned some people off, but let's just get the best people for the job, please. If someone is a Husker alum and they are the right hire, great! If you are turning down good coaches just because you want a Husker alum instead, that is obviously the wrong way to go about it.

Reactions: mgbreis
Jesus Christ. Can we let go of the past
My thoughts exactly. He has been out of coaching for years now, is getting on in years, and has never really accomplished much as a post-Nebraska coach beyond a couple of nice seasons at Buffalo 15 years ago. If Rhule were to hire as our QB coach someone with similar credentials who was not a Nebraska legend he would be criticized roundly, and rightly so. This fetish for calling for hiring old-timey Nebraska dudes has got to stop. Turner Gill would be a horrible hire.

BRING TURNER HOME!!!
He is no longer at AR and was doing great thigns there from the people I ask about him. Players all love the guy like every stop he has ever made.

Not a QB coach anymore and I am not sure he would want to be anywhere.

Turner was a great player and assistant coach here. Isn't he in his 60's now? And I don't think his personal "No girls in your room after 9pm" is the religious message any recruits care to hear or want to follow.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Here is what baffles me.. You have a group of people to say let go of the past and to try new things.

I don't get it.. it makes no sense.

All we have been doing since Tom retired is trying new things.

NOBODY has actually tried to implement what Nebraska was, or used to be.

The only coach who came remotely close, was Bo Pelini, and we won 9+ games a year.. but we didn't really run Tom's offense. We weren't a running team like that. A little bit, but not like how it used to be.

But we had some success.

So to me, this let go of the past thing makes no flipping sense at all. We tried the west coast offense, we tried the pro style offense, we tried the RPO Frost thing.. none of it worked worth a darn, yet we are gonna try new things?

There is a formula that works at NU and everyone is too afraid to actually use that formula.

Let go of the past my ass. Nebraska has been too afraid to embrace it's past.

Flippin cowards.

He is just a guy. Husker legend but just a guy in the coaching world.

My thoughts exactly. He has been out of coaching for years now, is getting on in years, and has never really accomplished much as a post-Nebraska coach beyond a couple of nice seasons at Buffalo 15 years ago. If Rhule were to hire as our QB coach someone with similar credentials who was not a Nebraska legend he would be criticized roundly, and rightly so. This fetish for calling for hiring old-timey Nebraska dudes has got to stop. Turner Gill would be a horrible hire.
Forget he's from Nebraska. You would criticize Rhule for hiring a guy who was a head coach at 3 fbs schools,, a guy who coached (at the QB position) a few All Americans and a Heisman winner, a guy who coached most of his assistant coach career under one of the top five coaches to ever coach the game, and a guy who had a great career himself? Really?

Plus, amongst a bunch of 30ish year old coaches he could help Rhule by being the adult in the room.

You don't want him PRECISELY BECAUSE he is a link to the Husker past. His credentials are amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT