ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Needed To Be Humbled

Sep 14, 2021
Players and coaches alike unfortunately bought into their own hype, believing Illinois was just going to roll over cause they said boo. There was no sense of urgency in all three phases of the game and that ultimately falls on HCMR. With all that said I don’t think this loss defines the season, the team that beat Colorado was not the team that showed up to play last night.

Let’s hang 60 on Purdon’t.

Players and coaches alike unfortunately bought into their own hype, believing Illinois was just going to roll over cause they said boo. There was no sense of urgency in all three phases of the game and that ultimately falls on HCMR. With all that said I don’t think this loss defines the season, the team that beat Colorado was not the team that showed up to play last night.

I agree with that and they were for sure last night..

In OVT we just plan $&it the bed on both sides of the ball..

Bielema is actually a good coach. People act like he isn’t because he couldn’t win at Arkansas. He can scheme and coach. That said, we got out coached and that worries a lot of us in Huskerland
We need to have the coach that out coaches people, not the other way around
Just have the feeling that White thought he could play vanilla against Illinois like he could UNI. I get it’s a completely different matchup than Colorado, but there was little attempt to rush the passer.

Reactions: cornwoman
Just have the feeling that White thought he could play vanilla against Illinois like he could UNI. I get it’s a completely different matchup than Colorado, but there was little attempt to rush the passer.

I think they THOUGHT they could get pressure with just 3 and 4 man fronts. Once they figured out they couldn't Illinois had kinda got in a rhythm. Unfortunately for us we were a step behind them all night defensively.

Holla

I felt we were humbled enough to start the game, went 3 & out or whatever, and then the Illini went down the field to score. Apparently not. 😂

I think a close win in over time would’ve been plenty humbling enough for me. Just saying…

I think their O-line’s ability open wholes and move our front in the run game was unexpected. We couldn’t get pressure with our front 3/4 and we couldn’t stop the run with out bringing help. I was a little surprised, probably shouldn’t have been considering the last 10 years…

I agree. Anxious to see what we look like on the road away from all the hoopla.

I think their O-line’s ability open wholes and move our front in the run game was unexpected. We couldn’t get pressure with our front 3/4 and we couldn’t stop the run with out bringing help. I was a little surprised, probably shouldn’t have been considering the last 10 years…
We’re not good enough to not be blitzing at least 5 every down with our talent and scheme.

Reactions: V-Doub
We’re not good enough to not be blitzing at least 5 every down with our talent and scheme.

Especially on 1st down. You can afford, and sometimes need, those run blitzes and safety help when it’s 1st down and their offense has 75 yards to go. Once they cross the 50 it becomes more risky. But if you can’t stop the run, you’re probably gonna lose the game. Gotta stop the run with B1G teams, their passing game is predicated by their ability to run the ball. Specifically teams like Illinois, iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St, Minnesota…

No they didn't . We have a coach that keeps them level headed , they just aren't a good program yet. We needed to win and build confidence. We saw the old ghosts come back as soon as it gets physical , they fold. They need better talent and toughness. We're maybe a 6 to 7 win team. He's going to have to coach his ass off to get it done.

Reactions: Zeke2005
No they didn't . We have a coach that keeps them level headed , they just aren't a good program yet. We needed to win and build confidence. We saw the old ghosts come back as soon as it gets physical , they fold. They need better talent and toughness. We're maybe a 6 to 7 win team. He's going to have to coach his ass off to get it done.
If Rhule can’t win with what he’s got, he won’t be attracting recruits better than what he’s got.

An NU football team that needed to be humbled? You must be young if you really believe that.

For us old timers, we have seen Husker team after Husker team suffer similar humiliation for 20+ years. Pelini’s 4-loss teams kind of broke the streak but even they suffered lots of blowouts/humiliation.

Players and coaches better be trying to express pre-game confidence because at this point I think in their hearts they expect to lose every close game. And they fell apart last night in crunch time just as they surely thought they would. 🤣

I want them to be extremely confident but not just on the surface. Now, they are just like the fan base and that means expecting the team to fall apart in crunch time.

Last edited:
Bielema is actually a good coach. People act like he isn’t because he couldn’t win at Arkansas. He can scheme and coach. That said, we got out coached and that worries a lot of us in Huskerland
We need to have the coach that out coaches people, not the other way around
He can coach very well for the Big Ten. His ways are fruitless in the SEC.

If the defense can’t perform better it will be very tough. Why did they leave 10 yard cushion on the Illinois receivers? I’ve said it before but even the 600 plus pound TE had 5 yards of space on a play from the 3. How and why

I still think they can get to 8. We’re not as good as many wanted to believe we are, but we’re probably not as bad as it looks or feels right now. I think we have the talent to get 8 (I would say 9 if we could make a field goal) but do we have the coaching to maximize this team’s potential? Normally like how TW scouts the opposition and puts our guys in position to succeed. But last night/week was shockingly bad. And I don’t always love Rhule/Satt’s in game decision making. (Especially with regards to clock management)

I’m hoping, outside of OSU and USC, that TW doesn’t get worked like a $2 whore again. Obviously can’t bank on that after what I saw last night…

Reactions: huskers360
An NU football team that needed to be humbled? You must be young if you really believe that.

For us old timers, we have seen Husker team after Husker team suffer similar humiliation for 20+ years. Pelini’s 4-loss teams kind of broke the streak but even they suffered lots of blowouts/humiliation.

Players and coaches better be trying to express pre-game confidence because at this point I think in their hearts they expect to lose every close game. And they fell apart last in crunch time just as they surely thought they would. 🤣

I want them to be extremely confident but not just on the surface. Now, they are just like the fan base expecting the team to fall apart.
This team thought they were too good to play Illinois.

Make that 20+ years. Time flies.

I still think they can get to 8. We’re not as good as many wanted to believe we are, but we’re probably not as bad as it looks or feels right now. I think we have the talent to get 8 (I would say 9 if we could make a field goal) but do we have the coaching to maximize this team’s potential? Normally like how TW scouts the opposition and puts our guys in position to succeed. But last night/week was shockingly bad. And I Donny love Rhule/Satt’s in game decision making. (Especially with regards to clock management)

I’m hoping, outside of OSU and USC, that TW doesn’t get worked like a $2 whore again. Obviously can’t bank on that after what I saw last night…
We could in a perfect world . The Big ten is what it is and we don't have what it takes to succeed. Everybody in the Big ten knows that if you come at us physically and if we get behind ,we fall apart like a cheap suitcase.

There will a lot of posts on this board just 2 weeks ago saying this staff wouldn’t allow the team to take their eye off the ball

2 weeks and many hours spent on the national interview circuit later a home L in a standalone national game as more than a TD favorite as we celebrated our unprecedented 400th consecutive sellout is something we “needed”

krule-john-c-reilly.gif

Reactions: HuskAir
If the defense can’t perform better it will be very tough. Why did they leave 10 yard cushion on the Illinois receivers? I’ve said it before but even the 600 plus pound TE had 5 yards of space on a play from the 3. How and why
I called out the run before and that TE pass. They were gassed and utterly confused, we have seen it all before. This isn't anything new.

We could in a perfect world . The Big ten is what it is and we don't have what it takes to succeed. Everybody in the Big ten knows that if you come at us physically and if we get behind ,we fall apart like a cheap suitcase.

They need to man up a win some of these close games. Only way you change the narrative is by changing the narrative. We’ll see if they have what it takes…

They need to man up a win some of these close games. Only way you change the narrative is by changing the narrative. We’ll see if they have what it takes…
I agree. I say we don't have what it takes. What baffles me is we STILL ...after years of proving otherwise, have fans that can't understand we ae not there . We can't run the ball when needed, we don't have the lines, toughness, mentality, or talent enough. Rhule needs to hit the portal like Bielemia at a buffett , and get some limeman.

Last edited:

First, you nor do I know the mindset of the players. I don’t see a lack of effort this week like last week on the opening drive.

We do not have the horses on D. A few good pieces that are easily neutralized. Did we even come close to an INT last night? We didn’t harass the QB even as much as we did Colorado. How much have you heard Giffords name called? We are very weak in the back end of this D and it is being exploited. UNI controlled the ball but couldn’t score, Illinois did both and other teams will do the same.

Teams will play the long game on us. They don’t get concerned about being down 7-10, just keep doing what they do and we eventually break down.

Reactions: GaRed
Teams will play the long game on us. They don’t get concerned about being down 7-10, just keep doing what they do and we eventually break down.
They are able to do this because we cannot run the football, shorten the game and put it away.

The defense has no leaders. They’re all frosts players. They need to be led.

The offense sets the tone for this team and when we’re throwing it constantly it does the defense zero favors.

I agree. I say we don't have what it takes. What baffles me is we STILL ...after years of proving otherwise, have fans that can't understand we not there . We can't run the ball when needed, we don't have the lines, toughness, mentality, or talent enough. Rhule needs to hit the portal like Bielemia at a buffett , and get some limeman.

It’s really been the LOS. We haven't always been great skill wise, but we have been gawd awful in the trenches for 15 years. Teams that can’t consistently win LOS, can’t consistently win football games. This year might be one of our best skill wise in years, especially at QB, but we still can’t develop an OL/DL…🫤

It’s really been the LOS. We haven't always been great skill wise, but we have been gawd awful in the trenches for 15 years. Teams that can’t consistently win LOS, can’t consistently win football games. This year might be one of our best skill wise in years, especially at QB, but we still can’t develop an OL/DL…🫤
Exactly, when will they learn ? Money has to pour into NIL and get some dudes or that poor kid is going to wasted .

First, you nor do I know the mindset of the players. I don’t see a lack of effort this week like last week on the opening drive.

We do not have the horses on D. A few good pieces that are easily neutralized. Did we even come close to an INT last night? We didn’t harass the QB even as much as we did Colorado. How much have you heard Giffords name called? We are very weak in the back end of this D and it is being exploited. UNI controlled the ball but couldn’t score, Illinois did both and other teams will do the same.

Tried and true formula. See Iowa.

Last edited:
I still think they can get to 8. We’re not as good as many wanted to believe we are, but we’re probably not as bad as it looks or feels right now. I think we have the talent to get 8 (I would say 9 if we could make a field goal) but do we have the coaching to maximize this team’s potential? Normally like how TW scouts the opposition and puts our guys in position to succeed. But last night/week was shockingly bad. And I don’t always love Rhule/Satt’s in game decision making. (Especially with regards to clock management)

Everyone of OSU and USC skill people are a step or so faster than anything ILL showed us last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT