ADVERTISEMENT

This is unbelievable...

I read that article yesterday and it explains a lot about the S&C program over the last few years, complete crap. Dobson literally handicapped strength growth of these kids. Strength training needs flexibility, especially on-the-fly flexibility. Strength changes day-to-day, week-to-week, and month-to-month. What you lift one day you might struggle with the next week or blow through it. If you're able to get 300 for 5 and card says 275 x 5, there is absolutely no need to handicap that strength growth, there are so many wasted reps and workouts this way.
Was waiting for your input. This should be gospel

Reactions: Diplomat_Dean
A successful S & C program has a formula that includes: MAX force output + Light Load Speed Training + Flexible Strength + Agility(deceleration training)

As much as you want to believe that Coach Phillips is a macho caveman that is yelling in our players ears to lift more, check this out:

Reactions: Hoosker Du
A successful S & C program has a formula that includes: MAX force output + Light Load Speed Training + Flexible Strength + Agility(deceleration training)

As much as you want to believe that Coach Phillips is a macho caveman that is yelling in our players ears to lift more, check this out:

FWIW yoga isn't new to the Huskers this year but I'm happy to see it's being continued. I'm not sure if the whole team was doing it or not in the past but I know it's helped me out in my running endeavors.

You are correct. There was zero accountability (and the strength staff had no way to enforce things because Dobson was often absent and the guys doing the actual work with the players did not have any support to make players accountable.

It's just so sad that we had a head coach that fostered that sort of attitude for 7 years. I suppose if you destroy a kid's confidence by laying into them every time they make a mistake, you are also going to lose them in the weight room, in study sessions, and everything else that pertains to improving on the field.

Bingo, they also don't want players going for max lifts regularly and risking injuries which has happened in the past. You can get stronger progressively by increasing sets and reps with less risk of injury. The card will add weight per a schedule. Flexibility is good as long as no starter like Lewis sustains a major injury going too heavy.

Epley didn't seem to care for D. Kennedy's philosophy, but I heard him comment years back about Dobson and he said something like he's got NU going in the right direction again. Our problem is that every opponent takes lifting just as seriously now.

My thoughts exactly. The cards don't suggest that players are remaining static at the same weight for weeks on end. I think you need to have some control over what kids do each time they are in the gym. It looks like they are sticking to a program, but allowing some latitude to the players to venture off the plan if they are 'feeling it.'

My thoughts exactly. The cards don't suggest that players are remaining static at the same weight for weeks on end. I think you need to have some control over what kids do each time they are in the gym. It looks like they are sticking to a program, but allowing some latitude to the players to venture off the plan if they are 'feeling it.'

Yes, the cards were strictly followed, there was no deviating from the cards. A few years ago I spoke to a player who had trained for the combine and from the time he left Dobson's "program" to the combined he gained 10%-20% on all lifts. He didn't go into details, but from the conversation I took away he wasn't happy with the strength program and felt he could have done more at Nebraska.

You do want some sort of structure in the gym with a team of 120+ members, but that structure has to be able to adjust on the fly for each individual person and there has to be deviation + or - on each given day. Weightlifting and strength gain doesn't come from a chart, you don't get maximum effort out of a predefined weight. A chart can be a guide.

It's odd to think this, but lifting/strength training may have something in common with training for distance running. An experienced distance runner, if he/she is feeling especially good, will "turn it up" a bit on a 5 or 6 mile run at any time during their off-season training. It is key to improving as a runner. Now imagine if your coach gave you instructions to never go below a certain pace or above a certain weekly mileage. The runner wouldn't be as good as he/she could be.

Yes, the cards were strictly followed, there was no deviating from the cards. A few years ago I spoke to a player who had trained for the combine and from the time he left Dobson's "program" to the combined he gained 10%-20% on all lifts. He didn't go into details, but from the conversation I took away he wasn't happy with the strength program and felt he could have done more at Nebraska.

You do want some sort of structure in the gym with a team of 120+ members, but that structure has to be able to adjust on the fly for each individual person and there has to be deviation + or - on each given day. Weightlifting and strength gain doesn't come from a chart, you don't get maximum effort out of a predefined weight. A chart can be a guide.

I think you are missing my point. The cards do nothing but convey weight and reps. If those cards weren't written as part of a plan to increase a player's strength, speed, agility, quickness, etc.. then by all means the previous staff failed miserably. But if they were used as part of a plan to increase in all of those performance words I mentioned, then the only real thing to question would be why players weren't progressing enough.

If the cards were used to make sure players weren't trying to max every few days, and thus for safety reasons, I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure the new staff is using something similar to cards, because they want to see consistent trackable progress. Where there is probably a difference is that the new staff allows them to add additional weight, based on how well their lifting session is going. And I'm betting that would still be adding weight, within reason.

If you are suggesting the cards never changed for each player, then yes, that is the previous staff failing miserably. But I can not imagine that being the case. Not in 2014 on any college campus. Actually, not on any high school campus either.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT