ADVERTISEMENT

They seem to be playing it too safe with martinez

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
last year he was running all over the place, which I think opened up other plays.
this year it seems like he either
a. takes a couple steps back, looks down field then throws the ball away
or
b. telegraphs a hand off to a slow developing running back play that gets blown up
they got him thinking too much, and he should just take off if the pass isn't there

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say...two words why AM is struggling...Farmer and Foster. Just going to have to wait for the youngsters to get up to speed.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I also think the lack of experience on the offensive line is why we can’t run between the tackles. That also plays a role here. If you can run it up the gut it loosens up the defense for almost everything else.

My biggest wish is that they would get Adrian out of the pocket on designed RPO roll outs. He is very good at throwing the ball on the run. It also gives him more green space to take off and run.

The biggest thing right now is not having Farmer. We are going to have to live through a little bit of growing pains with Jurgens as he gains experience. Be patient grasshopper.

Reactions: wkato
We weren't that much better o line last year. Ozigbo just made the first guy miss in the backfield. Ozigbo and martinez's scrambling ability made the oline serviceable last year.

Anyone that doesn't see the OL problems is not paying attention. Go back and watch the last play before the failed FG attempt against CU. Blocking is one thing and that has not been stellar for certain but who to block and when is another piece. They can't get the communication right and when they do, someone manages to whiff way too often. They may make initial contact only to slide off and let their guy make the play, no drive. A lot of diving for cut blocks only to have the D step over them. Even their position coach commented they can't even get out of their stance. With all of the complaining that took place under Riley about OL play, people need to hold their water just a bit here because it is not where it needs to be.

The spread O, in general, stretches the D sideline to sideline and vertically, that creates the holes and spaces. Where is the deep threat to stretch the D? Noa hasn't caught a single ball. You could see the CU D come closer to the LOS as the game went on and keep everything in front of them to negate the supposed speed advantage we had. Washington broke one down the left side, but other than that, our side to sideline and vertical stretched game is not working right now. All the speed we hear about hasn't showed up very often - yet. We can't even get a WR open although everyone will point out the time they "saw someone open" when Adrian is scrambling and rolling to his right. There are often guys open, some of that is a clear out and there is no way to get the ball to them. some are calling for Adrian to roll out more, fine, you just shrunk the amount of field to cover and it keeps your speed receivers in a smaller area. There is a place to use it but not all of the time.

I expect NIU to come out and move their D all over the place making communication difficult for out OL and the will likely keep their LB's close to the LOS to close the speed gap. Guess right and get a crease and there can be some long plays but some frustration along the way. Just my opinion.

I also think the lack of experience on the offensive line is why we can’t run between the tackles. That also plays a role here. If you can run it up the gut it loosens up the defense for almost everything else.

My biggest wish is that they would get Adrian out of the pocket on designed RPO roll outs. He is very good at throwing the ball on the run. It also gives him more green space to take off and run.

This. All of this.

I don’t understand why SF is not rolling him out more too...Hopefully we see more of this as the season moves along..

Anyone that doesn't see the OL problems is not paying attention. Go back and watch the last play before the failed FG attempt against CU. Blocking is one thing and that has not been stellar for certain but who to block and when is another piece. They can't get the communication right and when they do, someone manages to whiff way too often. They may make initial contact only to slide off and let their guy make the play, no drive. A lot of diving for cut blocks only to have the D step over them. Even their position coach commented they can't even get out of their stance. With all of the complaining that took place under Riley about OL play, people need to hold their water just a bit here because it is not where it needs to be.

The spread O, in general, stretches the D sideline to sideline and vertically, that creates the holes and spaces. Where is the deep threat to stretch the D? Noa hasn't caught a single ball. You could see the CU D come closer to the LOS as the game went on and keep everything in front of them to negate the supposed speed advantage we had. Washington broke one down the left side, but other than that, our side to sideline and vertical stretched game is not working right now. All the speed we hear about hasn't showed up very often - yet. We can't even get a WR open although everyone will point out the time they "saw someone open" when Adrian is scrambling and rolling to his right. There are often guys open, some of that is a clear out and there is no way to get the ball to them. some are calling for Adrian to roll out more, fine, you just shrunk the amount of field to cover and it keeps your speed receivers in a smaller area. There is a place to use it but not all of the time.

I expect NIU to come out and move their D all over the place making communication difficult for out OL and the will likely keep their LB's close to the LOS to close the speed gap. Guess right and get a crease and there can be some long plays but some frustration along the way. Just my opinion.
I agree with you completely about the O-line play. But since there is no quick fix for that, why keep Martinez in the pocket so much? I know NU wants to limit the punishment he takes over the course of the season, but trying to make him a pocket QB behind a sieve of an offensive line just doesn't seem like a recipe for winning.

We weren't that much better o line last year. Ozigbo just made the first guy miss in the backfield. Ozigbo and martinez's scrambling ability made the oline serviceable last year.

I would beg to differ. I would much rather have Farmer as a senior at center than Jurgens as a RS freshman. I'm hopeful Jurgens will get there though. And despite Foster being a human penalty flag, he was better at the point of attack than anyone we have at guard right now, other than maybe Boe Wilson.

I agree with you completely about the O-line play. But since there is no quick fix for that, why keep Martinez in the pocket so much? I know NU wants to limit the punishment he takes over the course of the season, but trying to make him a pocket QB behind a sieve of an offensive line just doesn't seem like a recipe for winning.

Rolling out the QB has limits. It is somewhat antithesis to the spread O by limiting the area or field you have to work with. It is also fairly easy to defeat by coming off the edge and forcing everything back inside and now you have a bigger mess. We can't get our O line out there to block. I loved rolling my QB out but you know when you do it there are natural limitations. The area for the DB shrinks, you have a sideline to help the D, and the area you need to cover as a LB or DL just got smaller. It is hard to make a living out there.

Reactions: schuele
last year he was running all over the place, which I think opened up other plays.
this year it seems like he either
a. takes a couple steps back, looks down field then throws the ball away
or
b. telegraphs a hand off to a slow developing running back play that gets blown up
they got him thinking too much, and he should just take off if the pass isn't there

He's starting to remind me of Trubisky, force him to play QB and you can win.

Rolling out the QB has limits. It is somewhat antithesis to the spread O by limiting the area or field you have to work with. It is also fairly easy to defeat by coming off the edge and forcing everything back inside and now you have a bigger mess. We can't get our O line out there to block. I loved rolling my QB out but you know when you do it there are natural limitations. The area for the DB shrinks, you have a sideline to help the D, and the area you need to cover as a LB or DL just got smaller. It is hard to make a living out there.
Oh I agree that rolling Martinez out is not the solution to everything that's ailing this offense, and you can't do it over and over and over again. I just can't imagine that rolling him out from time to time wouldn't help, because right now he looks very uncomfortable and unsure of himself when inside the pocket.

Rolling the QB out is an equalizer, not a solution. We have to do it somewhat regularly to soften up the 2nd level but we can't do it all of the time, just like anything else. Unfortunately we just don't have enough dimensions in the offense to keep defenses on their heels right now. Colorado did to us in the 2nd half basically what we did to Florida in 96, be super aggressive at the LOS no matter the down and distance.

Oh I agree that rolling Martinez out is not the solution to everything that's ailing this offense, and you can't do it over and over and over again. I just can't imagine that rolling him out from time to time wouldn't help, because right now he looks very uncomfortable and unsure of himself when inside the pocket.

Better work up front, open up the inside so the inside zone keeps backers at home and pulls safeties up, have some WR's actually get open and give him a window and he will be fine. Until then, roll him out all day long, drop back, whatever you want, it will be a struggle. Our inside game is nonexistent and our WR's have done nearly nothing. What's left? Stretch the field sideways with Robinson and Washington - check, stretch it vertically with...... a tight end?

Better work up front, open up the inside so the inside zone keeps backers at home and pulls safeties up, have some WR's actually get open and give him a window and he will be fine. Until then, roll him out all day long, drop back, whatever you want, it will be a struggle. Our inside game is nonexistent and our WR's have done nearly nothing. What's left? Stretch the field sideways with Robinson and Washington - check, stretch it vertically with...... a tight end?
Agree, I'm just not confident that "better work up front" is coming anytime soon. So if it seems like I'm grasping for stopgaps that will help compensate for crappy O-line play.... guilty as charged.

Rolling the QB out is an equalizer, not a solution. We have to do it somewhat regularly to soften up the 2nd level but we can't do it all of the time, just like anything else. Unfortunately we just don't have enough dimensions in the offense to keep defenses on their heels right now. Colorado did to us in the 2nd half basically what we did to Florida in 96, be super aggressive at the LOS no matter the down and distance.

Colorado went vertical and horizontal on us. I am at a little disadvantage because I didn't see the game until Tuesday nigh and then only quickly, only ran a couple dozen plays back and forth on the DVR but.....Two long bombs - one on the flee flicker and the other towards the end over Jackson for the vertical. They went horizontal by going sideline to sideline and that added to the conditioning problem. At first, it didn't matter if it gained yards, that came later and of course, they went fast.

You simply are not going to beat teams consistently if you can't get them spread out all over the field. By the end of the game, CU D was all over everything we did up close and personal.

For all those who said or think this O that Frost runs does not need elite athletes is incorrect. It needs a lot of them to do all that is required.

The seniors we lost from last years team contributed multiple years. For the most part we replaced those players with Freshman and Sophomores. May take time for these guys to get that experience that you talk about. I do believe they well get better. I also think not having a kicker right now changes how Frost has called plays the first two games, imo.

Yep. The run/pass option is no cure all. It should be one aspect of the offensive strategy. Dropping back into the pocket allows the QB to see the whole field and to throw anywhere. When you roll out you effectively eliminate one half of the field as a throwing option.

But the effectiveness of the rpo when you have a mobile QB with wheels is not to be ignored. You might lose half the field as a throwing option but it does open up the possibility that AM can break some good runs. Adrian has good speed and can be a shifty runner. But he doesn’t have that initial burst TMart had. Thus, when he is in the pocket, even if he chooses to run, he often doesn’t get very far if the gaps and creases are narrow.

It's a solution when your QB isn't at all comfortable in the pocket. Roll him out and let him make plays. I disagree that it's any easier to cover if we have him roll out. It's hard for any college qb to make sideline throws from the pocket. Rolling a qb out means the defense now has to defend the sideline instead of just using it as help. It opens up seams and passing angles in the defense that wouldn't be there otherwise. If the defense is slow to rotate over, it gives the receivers a numbers advantage on that side. If they're over agressive defending the play side, you can slip out a player on the backside who likely won't be covered. All of this and I haven't even mentioned the fact that AM can just tuck it and run if the defense stays in coverage, or throw right over their heads to an open receiver if someone decides to come down and stop the running threat.

It's a solution when your QB isn't at all comfortable in the pocket. Roll him out and let him make plays. I disagree that it's any easier to cover if we have him roll out. It's hard for any college qb to make sideline throws from the pocket. Rolling a qb out means the defense now has to defend the sideline instead of just using it as help. It opens up seams and passing angles in the defense that wouldn't be there otherwise. If the defense is slow to rotate over, it gives the receivers a numbers advantage on that side. If they're over agressive defending the play side, you can slip out a player on the backside who likely won't be covered. All of this and I haven't even mentioned the fact that AM can just tuck it and run if the defense stays in coverage, or throw right over their heads to an open receiver if someone decides to come down and stop the running threat.

Uh, ok? If it really worked that way, teams would do it more often. Oh well.

I'd rather db's and lb's rolling on martinez legs towards the sidelines, after a tackle, then d linemen up the middle like last year with colorado. I agree you can't be predictable. but so far we have been and I think martinez running and passing outside the pocket, could do the trick on getting some more points on the board and giving the defense less of a hole to climb out of. the defense put points on the board vs south bama, and kept us in the game vs colorado for a half. time the offense figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT