ADVERTISEMENT

The purge

In the 90s I worked two university of Nebraska Tennis camps with Coach McDermott. He’s a great guy and a lot of fun. A really good coach as well... I suspect the issue was he couldn’t recruit the players at a high enough level to compete.

It saddens me to see him go, but I guess I do understand the business end of it as well. 37 years is a long time coaching! I will miss seeing him courtside.

In the 90s I worked two university of Nebraska Tennis camps with Coach McDermott. He’s a great guy and a lot of fun. A really good coach as well... I suspect the issue was he couldn’t recruit the players at a high enough level to compete.

It saddens me to see him go, but I guess I do understand the business end of it as well. 37 years is a long time coaching! I will miss seeing him courtside.
You must be a player...did i know this before?????

Men’s golf coach
Men’s tennis coach
Director of athletic performance lab
Director of sports nutrition

All canned
From a football perspective, the firing of the Director of athletic performance lab seems like a bigger deal, though I'm not sure how big. Wasn't that "lab" a highly promoted asset just a few years ago? State of the art, unlike anything anywhere? Has anything ever come out of that other than timed 10-yard dashes and agility drills?

You must be a player...did i know this before?????
I played at GISH in the late 80s, Concordia in Seward in the early 90s... I still play in the twin cities, where i live now. Lose more than I win now, but still have lots of fun. Great to be able to play no matter how much older I am than my opponents... :)

From a football perspective, the firing of the Director of athletic performance lab seems like a bigger deal, though I'm not sure how big. Wasn't that "lab" a highly promoted asset just a few years ago? State of the art, unlike anything anywhere? Has anything ever come out of that other than timed 10-yard dashes and agility drills?

Agree... I was encouraged when I saw this and the director of nutrition being let go as well. Seems like we have a top notch facility but it is not being put to the best use as possible.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Women's Bowling Coach promoted to Chancellor or University president at some point.... heck... maybe Governor?

And I wouldn't mind seeing the ex-Chancellor (H. Perlman) removed from teaching at our law college and never be allowed in the city of Lincoln again. How that f**ker still has a job at the University of Nebraska is one of the greatest unanswered questions that our university should be addressing.

And I wouldn't mind seeing the ex-Chancellor (H. Perlman) removed from teaching at our law college and never be allowed in the city of Lincoln again. How that f**ker still has a job at the University of Nebraska is one of the greatest unanswered questions that our university should be addressing.

Damn straight. He's a total and complete POS.

Agree. Although when I was in Law School... he would only be the "co-professor" for his classes with another professor handling the day to day. I believe he did at most two lectures the whole semester. He should be very far away from the University.....

Anybody in omaha want to play tennis, hit me up. I'm a pretty good 3.5, lower end 4.0.

How big of a role did Perlman have in us joining the B1G? That alone should get him a pass.

Reactions: Crushinator
Even though nobody gives a rat's ass about so many of them.....oh well.

Look at it like this . . . nobody gives a rats ass about women's sports (except competitive bikini volleyball), yet B1G have to fund them. Grrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
How big of a role did Perlman have in us joining the B1G? That alone should get him a pass.
You mean for how he negotiated 7 years of league dues just for the privilege of joining? It will take a long time to earn that all back. just saying

You mean for how he negotiated 7 years of league dues just for the privilege of joining? It will take a long time to earn that all back. just saying

So you’d rather be back in the big 12?

So you’d rather be back in the big 12?
Oh in a heartbeat, but the point was not what league we are in, it was in how we took an approximately 50 million hit over the last 7 years for the privilege.

Oh in a heartbeat, but the point was not what league we are in, it was in how we took an approximately 50 million hit over the last 7 years for the privilege.
I guess you don't understand the terms of NU joining the Big Ten. The difference in NU's earnings were used for them to buy ownership into the Big Ten Network. That figure was spread out over 7 years and once 7 years was up, NU was a fully vested member of the Big Ten and owns a portion of the BTN. Maryland received more money upfront, but part of that was because of the fees to get out of the ACC and it will take them longer to become fully bought into the BTN.

I guess you don't understand the terms of NU joining the Big Ten. The difference in NU's earnings were used for them to buy ownership into the Big Ten Network. That figure was spread out over 7 years and once 7 years was up, NU was a fully vested member of the Big Ten and owns a portion of the BTN. Maryland received more money upfront, but part of that was because of the fees to get out of the ACC and it will take them longer to become fully bought into the BTN.
Oh, I understand the terms of the agreement just fine. Nebraska was paid 'at the same level of the Big 12', but it didn't include any annual adjustments per the contract. We were told we would make the same amount of money as we would have if we had stayed in the other conference, but they didn't account for inflation. We did get a few bumps here and there, but we were making less than those in the Big 12, for the last 6 years.. and by the last year, the gap was 10 million. Add that up, and account for the time value of money (interest) and it's likely around 50 million. It will take another 7-8 years to actually break even. So while everyone jumps up and down thinking NU is rich, we are still behind. In addition to this, the 1/12th valuation of the BTN network has now become 1/14th, and likely dropped. Nice 7 year investment Chancellor. So yeah, I think this was a complete failure on his part.

Oh, I understand the terms of the agreement just fine. Nebraska was paid 'at the same level of the Big 12', but it didn't include any annual adjustments per the contract. We were told we would make the same amount of money as we would have if we had stayed in the other conference, but they didn't account for inflation. We did get a few bumps here and there, but we were making less than those in the Big 12, for the last 6 years.. and by the last year, the gap was 10 million. Add that up, and account for the time value of money (interest) and it's likely around 50 million. It will take another 7-8 years to actually break even. So while everyone jumps up and down thinking NU is rich, we are still behind. In addition to this, the 1/12th valuation of the BTN network has now become 1/14th, and likely dropped. Nice 7 year investment Chancellor. So yeah, I think this was a complete failure on his part.
I would have to think that the value and/or earnings of the BTN has increased exponentially since NU signed its agreement and the payment never increased, so there may be some of that inflation recovered there too.

I would have to think that the value of the BTN has increased exponentially since NU signed its agreement and the payment never increased, so there may be some of that inflation recovered there too.
This is possible, but the money won't really ever be recoverable. The University can't just sell their 1/14th network share on the open market. They could probably borrow against it, but this whole cable tv subscription thing still hasn't been worked out, so who knows.. the value of the tv network might be worth only a fraction of the current valuation in the future.

If you think about it, Jim Delany was brilliant.. he put a massive feather in his conference hat, and got paid to do it.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is possible, but the money won't really ever be recoverable. The University can't just sell their 1/14th network share on the open market. They could probably borrow against it, but this whole cable tv subscription thing still hasn't been worked out, so who knows.. the value of the tv network might be worth only only a fraction of the current valuation in the future.
I don't think Perlman was good for Husker football and athletics, but I don't think the move to the Big Ten was something he can be criticized for. Can things within the deal be nitpicked? Sure, but I ultimately think the move was a good one. I miss the Big 8 more than I miss the Big 12. I miss being able to drive to places like Lawrence, Manhatten, Norman, etc to watch games. That's about it.

I don't think Perlman was good for Husker football and athletics, but I don't think the move to the Big Ten was something he can be criticized for. Can things within the deal be nitpicked? Sure, but I ultimately think the move was a good one. I miss the Big 8 more than I miss the Big 12. I miss being able to drive to places like Lawrence, Manhatten, Norman, etc to watch games. That's about it.
This.

Big 12 is trash barely holding on until the GOR expires. Would have been stupid to stay

Yeah, but if all those who left would have stayed it would have been just fine. Maybe not making as much money as the SEC OR BIG but it would have been stable.

There were too many itchy feet in that conference. Nebraska was really forced to move with prospect of Missouri leaving for the BiG and the south splitting between the SEC and PAC

We have hashed this out a million times... slice it anyway you want it, our legitimate hatred of Texas arrogance was behind our move. I miss big 8 as someone said... not one second of Big 12.

We have hashed this out a million times... slice it anyway you want it, our legitimate hatred of Texas arrogance was behind our move. I miss big 8 as someone said... not one second of Big 12.

I don't see it that way at all. MU to the BiG, OU OSU UT CU aTm to the SEC and PAC.....Nebraska had to seek membership to the BiG because it really does make the most sense, not because of hatred of Texas or their network, Nebraska was working on its own network at the same time.

If you want to place blame on all the things that ended up permanently moving to Texas the CCG blame that on CU, KSU, or Oklahoma schools, those votes made that stuff possible. Or the partial qualifier kabosh for instance that was targeting Nebraska, that had back up from the old Big 8 fellers.

You should check out KSU's old AD biography, I think he admitted that they did a lot and voted the way they did just to get Nebraska whittled down.

Nebraska back then looked like an unstoppable juggernaut with TO being still fairly young for a coach.

It wasnt just Texas's vote. It was the old Big 8 that made all the junk happen, and because they hated how we beat the tar out of them in the 90s

Won’t disagree that a lot of tumblers were in place but who left first? We did...why? Texas and the suck ups.

The interest in Nebraska was generated from being a blue blood long before Perlman. With respect to athletics he grades an F in my book.

After seeing a comment from Evan Bland(OWH), I'm not sure Moos knows we have a baseball team either.
Hopefully Moos gets down to a college world series game this year, if so he'll want us there in the future and might reconsider his view on Erstad

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT