ADVERTISEMENT

The Purdue Job

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
What am I missing about some of the names being tossed around for the Purdue job? Why on earth would a guy like Les Miles want to go and coach at Purdue?

Even when they were "good" under Tiller they will still only just decent. You're talking about a program with zero built-in advantages. And oh by the way there's Michigan and Ohio State and Michigan State.

AND the seat is hot at Penn State.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
SUCKS!!!!

Sorry, I thought this was "Say the first thing that comes to your mind when I say something".

The Les Miles talk is just that-talk. There are much better jobs he can take than that. I doubt he even gives it a serious look.

Speaking of PSU, glad we didn't end up with Franklin. I remember him being someone I and many others gave strong consideration to.

Speaking of PSU, glad we didn't end up with Franklin. I remember him being someone I and many others gave strong consideration to.

I would agree, but in fairness to Franklin, PSU was really handcuffed by the Sandusky situation and it will be another couple of years before they can get back close to what they were. With that said, I am not a fan at all of Franklin and I am really getting tired of some of the egos that these coaches outwardly show anymore.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Hell if I were Purdue I would look at my future schedules. Pick one of the mid major programs on the schedule and poach their head coach and staff. You might at least destabilize that program for a year or 2 and possibly steal a win.

Last edited:
What am I missing about some of the names being tossed around for the Purdue job? Why on earth would a guy like Les Miles want to go and coach at Purdue?

Even when they were "good" under Tiller they will still only just decent. You're talking about a program with zero built-in advantages. And oh by the way there's Michigan and Ohio State and Michigan State.

AND the seat is hot at Penn State.

Speaking of Tiller, Glen Mason on BTN yesterday mentioned who he thinks Purdue should go after, as he brought up trying to bring back something similar to how they played under Tiller. Mike Leach. Not sure if I see Leach Leaving WASU for there?

Speaking of Tiller, Glen Mason on BTN yesterday mentioned who he thinks Purdue should go after, as he brought up trying to bring back something similar to how they played under Tiller. Mike Leach. Not sure if I see Leach Leaving WASU for there?
Yeah, I didn't get that either. Washington State may not be a great place to coach, but he's got something going there and Purdue would be pretty much a lateral move. His style of play fits the Pac 12 much better than the B1G too.

When you think about it, every fan base thinks their job is better than it probably is. I remember several of our fans thinking we could land Harbaugh, or get Patterson out of TCU, even Briles before the shit hit the fam there. Purdue is just doing what we all do, looking at it through their own set of goggles. Totally understandable. Heck, I even saw Iowa fans posting as if they had a shot at Herman a month or so ago, talk about delusional.

What type of job do you think he is going to get? The guy is 63 years old and had every advantage a coach could want at LSU and did not win enough to keep his job there. If he can pull in top 5 recruiting classes at LSU and not win enough, how in the hell is he going to win a bunch at Purdue coaching mainly 3 star recruits?

The rumor is that Miles does have at least some level of interest in the job but frankly the idea doesn't seem to be very well received among the fan base. You guys are pretty condescending in this thread towards Purdue and maybe that's because our program has been in the dumps since you joined the Big Ten but historically it's more of a middle-of-the-pack program with a strong history of producing NFL quarterbacks. It's not nearly as bad as is being made out by many here.

The guy who mentioned Mike Leach has the right idea although I'm doubtful we can pull him from Washington State. Similar job but he's already put in all the rebuilding work to get that program up on its feet. He might as well stay around and reap the rewards of that and try to parlay that to get a position like Oregon if he can. He is who we should have went out and hired when he was available but apparently there was too much controversy with how he left Texas Tech for our last AD to look at.

Anyway, they need to be looking at people who can bring a dynamic and/or innovative passing attack back to Purdue. When Purdue has been able to compete in the upper half of the conference, that's how they've always done it in the past. It was a stated objective the last time we were hiring a coach and yet somehow Morgan Burke ended up with Hazell.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
What type of job do you think he is going to get? The guy is 63 years old and had every advantage a coach could want at LSU and did not win enough to keep his job there. If he can pull in top 5 recruiting classes at LSU and not win enough, how in the hell is he going to win a bunch at Purdue coaching mainly 3 star recruits?

The rumor is that Miles does have at least some level of interest in the job but frankly the idea doesn't seem to be very well received among the fan base. You guys are pretty condescending in this thread towards Purdue and maybe that's because our program has been in the dumps since you joined the Big Ten but historically it's more of a middle-of-the-pack program with a strong history of producing NFL quarterbacks. It's not nearly as bad as is being made out by many here.

The guy who mentioned Mike Leach has the right idea although I'm doubtful we can pull him from Washington State. Similar job but he's already put in all the rebuilding work to get that program up on its feet. He might as well stay around and reap the rewards of that and try to parlay that to get a position like Oregon if he can. He is who we should have went out and hired when he was available but apparently there was too much controversy with how he left Texas Tech for our last AD to look at.

Anyway, they need to be looking at people who can bring a dynamic and/or innovative passing attack back to Purdue. When Purdue has been able to compete in the upper half of the conference, that's how they've always done it in the past. It was a stated objective the last time we were hiring a coach and yet somehow Morgan Burke ended up with Hazell.

Miles won enough to keep his job there, but he got stabbed in the back last year and after that he didn't have a chance. 99% of all CFB programs would have been thrilled with his success. He could do waaaay better than Purdue if he still wants to coach.

What's the deal with June Jones, why is he out of college coaching? He would be a guy who could give people fits with that run & shoot.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Miles won enough to keep his job there, but he got stabbed in the back last year and after that he didn't have a chance. 99% of all CFB programs would have been thrilled with his success. He could do waaaay better than Purdue if he still wants to coach.

He's not even a good fit for Purdue so I hope you're right but it seems there is some level of interest on his end. I'm not sure what these positions are that are "waaaay" better but he's not getting another high-end job right now. He'll end up at mid-tier P5 school at best.

I would agree, but in fairness to Franklin, PSU was really handcuffed by the Sandusky situation and it will be another couple of years before they can get back close to what they were. With that said, I am not a fan at all of Franklin and I am really getting tired of some of the egos that these coaches outwardly show anymore.
The head coach at the Houston Texans had more handcuffing going on and he had that team playing very competitively. The scholarship limit was removed and he should have had the benefit of a nice foundation leftover from O'Brien.

I think Franklin has been incredibly mediocre in his stint at PSU.

You guys are pretty condescending in this thread towards Purdue and maybe that's because our program has been in the dumps since you joined the Big Ten but historically it's more of a middle-of-the-pack program with a strong history of producing NFL quarterbacks. It's not nearly as bad as is being made out by many here.

ahh .. nostalgia for the good old days of being mediocre ..Winking

jk ... best of luck with the coaching search

Last edited:
ahh .. nostalgia for the good old days of being mediocre ..Winking

jk ... best of luck with the coaching search
Purdue does have some facilities and some history of respectable teams. I agree they should not be settling for where they are now, and frankly, I think a good coach who can recruit can get them back to middle-of-the-pack in a few years.

I'll keep my eyes on Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin before I start worrying about Purdue and their coaching selection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT