ADVERTISEMENT

24 team BIG

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
you play 11 teams in your division every year,
then a west/east champ game
this would be a nation wide conferance, and brings in some better recruiting areas to help the big be competitive with the sec...

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami

this would be a nation wide conferance, and brings in some better recruiting areas to help the big be competitive with the sec...

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami
Games out of conference allow for more televised games - this limits that

Reactions: baseball31ne

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami
You would never hold up physically playing an all P5 schedule.

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami
Didn't ND decide to stay independent?

Didn't ND decide to stay independent?
Until a league can get them more than $75 million a year in tv money and they think being in a conference helps more than hurts to get into the playoffs. Also mentioned about scheduling issues potentially as well.

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami
Don’t mean to be rude but.

STFU.

Why SMU and Houston? Why not Boise State and BYU for the west? Boise and BYU are better than Houston and SMU.

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami

giphy.gif

I get that this is a message board and speculation is fun, but..

This will never happen. The B1G is not looking to add more mouths to feed that dont improve viewership or the revenue. The pie doesnt get bigger with that many teams, thers just smaller slices.

Notre dame is the only catalyst now, the absolute most theyd take is four, but with ND I doubt theyd go beyond two more even.

I get that this is a message board and speculation is fun, but..

This will never happen. The B1G is not looking to add more mouths to feed that dont improve viewership or the revenue. The pie doesnt get bigger with that many teams, thers just smaller slices.

Notre dame is the only catalyst now, the absolute most theyd take is four, but with ND I doubt theyd go beyond two more even.
If they get ND, they will add 1 more to at least get even divisions. Stanford would likely be added if Notre Dame gets added.

If they get ND, they will add 1 more to at least get even divisions. Stanford would likely be added if Notre Dame gets added.
Yes, itd be stanford or oregon. I really hope they dont take cal.

But notre dame is the big fish. No notre dame= no more teams, in my opinion. The pac would have to literally explode f they were to take any more teams strictly from the pac, and even then Im not sure.

Why SMU and Houston? Why not Boise State and BYU for the west? Boise and BYU are better than Houston and SMU.
after ny, la, chicago, houston if the 4th biggest city (tv market) and houston is the second best recruiting area in the nation, houston also has money (oil).....houston was the 1st team the pac was looking at in the big 12 if they wanted to expand..and for good reason.

smu is in dallas which is also a good size tv market...and is the second best recruiting area in texas..
and pony excess 1 says they can be good in football also if given a chance. and nil money....

byu is great for recruiting if scott frost becomes mormon, they do have a great following...
I don't know enough about boise to comment. or what they bring to the table on recruiting footprint or tv market

ok, now you have plenty room for non conferance games, and nobody will get tired playing P-5 teams.
plus if notre dame wants to play in the big (fox) vs sec (espn) playoff, this is their chance unless they want to play ole miss
I'm doing 24 teams so there's not as big of blood bath....I suppose you could have a 4 team playoff for conferance champ

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd

midwest:
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

mideast:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state

east:
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami

Last edited:
I think eventually, it will happen..

An accountant is going to look at each additional team to see if they add more value to the whole.

A smart commish is going to look at what he can charge as well as influence when he has closer to a monopoly on teams and tv markets.

Looking at things from a purely accountants view makes sense, but is short sided in the long run.

Reactions: redwine65
Yeah. 24 is kind of in the writing. Does anyone here think that the Big Ten doesn't get it's pick. If Notre Dame drages this out longer, the B1G will grab 4 more. Most likely Pac 12 schools. Then we're down to 4. That would really make ND squirm. Four left and ND has to join. IMHO

after ny, la, chicago, houston if the 4th biggest city (tv market) and houston is the second best recruiting area in the nation, houston also has money (oil).....houston was the 1st team the pac was looking at in the big 12 if they wanted to expand..and for good reason.

smu is in dallas which is also a good size tv market...and is the second best recruiting area in texas..
and pony excess 1 says they can be good in football also if given a chance. and nil money....

byu is great for recruiting if scott frost becomes mormon, they do have a great following...
I don't know enough about boise to comment. or what they bring to the table on recruiting footprint or tv market
Boise State played in BCS bowls back when there were 6 power conferences. Boise State beat Oklahoma in 2006 if that rings a bell.

Yeah. 24 is kind of in the writing. Does anyone here think that the Big Ten doesn't get it's pick. If Notre Dame drages this out longer, the B1G will grab 4 more. Most likely Pac 12 schools. Then we're down to 4. That would really make ND squirm. Four left and ND has to join. IMHO
No. Why? Adding four pac teams without ND adds nothing but mouths to feed. The regions and eyeballs and big names are already added. Adding four pac teams does not increase eyeballs or subscriptions, nor does it increase conference strength as it only dilutes.

I think eventually, it will happen..

An accountant is going to look at each additional team to see if they add more value to the whole.

A smart commish is going to look at what he can charge as well as influence when he has closer to a monopoly on teams and tv markets.

Looking at things from a purely accountants view makes sense, but is short sided in the long run.
The markets are already cornered. The big is a national brand.
People arent going to start magically watching schools that they arent currently watching.
OSU purdue gets far more viewers than OSU Cal would. Its simple math.
Adding teams to 24, sans notre dame, only dilutes the matchups you currently have.
A smart network exec is going to factor this in and put the numbers right in front of you come contract time. Sure, you’ll get a big deal, but no bigger than you would with the current teams (sans notre dame).
More is simply watering it down and adding mouths to feed.

Does anyone here honestly think if they wanted those pac schools they wouldnt have just taken them with usc and ucla? Did cal say no? Lol.

When ND finally joins the BIG you will see another school come in with them, that makes 16 schools and the TV payout will be about 125 million per school. Right now Washington, Oregon and I think Stanford are all hoping for the invitation but ND holds the cards.

So which school adds more value to the BIG other than ND, Washington and Oregon would add the NW market while Stanford has good athletics and superior academics unrivaled by any school in the BIG.

I'm not saying this happens immediately but you know eventually there will be all out raiding of conferences between the BIG and SEC for college athletic superiority. It's all about money and money as we've seen out weighs tradition.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I made this thread to update my realignment thoughts, as a realist I understand the big has the biggest markets, and teams with alot of tradition....but there's a problem if the sec continues to dominate the big in big games. there's a quality problem. lets call it a winning problem.

did anyone actually believe michigan would beat georgia last year? so how do you fix this?
nil may start chipping away at bama's 5 star bench...but I believe a recruiting footprint is important also.
thus miami, houston, smu, nc....there are some areas of the rust belt that have good recruits, but ohio state and cinny have ohio locked down, same could be said for michigan and michigan state...

some times you have to increase quantity for quality. I may make a great car, but I need china for the semiconductor film. I may have alot of alaska gold to make a ring, but south africa has decent diamonds..
dr. tom, understand this...sure he got the rozier and the jet from the big rustbelt areas, but the lp, the gill, the frazier came from the south...

I made this thread to update my realignment thoughts, as a realist I understand the big has the biggest markets, and teams with alot of tradition....but there's a problem if the sec continues to dominate the big in big games. there's a quality problem. lets call it a winning problem.

did anyone actually believe michigan would beat georgia last year? so how do you fix this?
nil may start chipping away at bama's 5 star bench...but I believe a recruiting footprint is important also.
thus miami, houston, smu, nc....there are some areas of the rust belt that have good recruits, but ohio state and cinny have ohio locked down, same could be said for michigan and michigan state...

some times you have to increase quantity for quality. I may make a great car, but I need china for the semiconductor film. I may have alot of alaska gold to make a ring, but south africa has decent diamonds..
dr. tom, understand this...sure he got the rozier and the jet from the big rustbelt areas, but the lp, the gill, the frazier came from the south...
Lawrence Phillips came from California..

Well you do have 2 threads on the same stuff that’s never going to happen with this SMU, Houston, Miami Fl, and North Carolina stuff..
well I'm glad you think frost will pull the best out of michigan and ohio state..but that doesn't seem to beat the sec...maybe your the new thought police on the board..idk...

I heard ut fan said they would never be in the sec....and not many suspected usc to be a big 10 team...I don't see wv as big 12 country...etc....alot of times it's good to lead and not follow...ahead of the competition..

Last edited:
Lawrence Phillips came from California..
indeed southern cal is a good recruiting area and I give the big a bronze star for getting a footprint there..
I will give them a silver star for texas, and a gold star for miami.

I do NOT advocate adding any of those 4 teams. Period.

But I'm sure the rationale was for getting into the Texas media market (just a "little" bigger than Idaho). Problem is those two Texas schools are also rans when it comes to Texas media appeal where Texas and Texas A&M far overwhelm the influence of any other Texas schools.

I do NOT advocate adding any of those 4 teams. Period.

But I'm sure the rationale was for getting into the Texas media market (just a "little" bigger than Idaho). Problem is those two Texas schools are also rans when it comes to Texas media appeal where Texas and Texas A&M far overwhelm the influence of any other Texas schools.
texas and oklahoma are leaving a taylor made conferance for them to a slaughter house..and baylor and okie state currently the teams to beat. if they don't win big quick in the sec...a houston or smu (dallas) athlete may want to stay by home with big nil money, and join a academically superior conferance

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
texas and oklahoma are leaving a taylor made conferance for them to a slaughter house..and baylor and okie state currently the teams to beat. if they don't win big quick in the sec...a houston or smu (dallas) athlete may want to stay by home with big nil money, and join a academically superior conferance
Well I believe Texas and Oklahoma will have a tough time competing on the field in the SEC for sure. Much tougher than the Big 12 obviously. For that move though, they gain a much better financial payout.

Texas was pushed to the SEC by ESPN because the Longhorn Network deal turned out to be a financial disaster for ESPN. Agree or disagree, these days it's all about bucks for media deals everywhere in the country across all conferences.

And yes, for TV viewers in the SEC footprint, the addition of Texas and Oklahoma is great news making the games even more appealing. The Texas A&M games against those two schools will be natural blockbusters in the big Texas media markets.

With 24 teams in a conference, you no longer have the luxury of playing OOC games. Television wants a minor league for the NFL, fans want larger conferences for bragging rights, and the universities want the money...

College football will never be what it was 15 years ago before the conference expansions, sorry. This is the new college football.

Boise State played in BCS bowls back when there were 6 power conferences. Boise State beat Oklahoma in 2006 if that rings a bell.
Boise played Oklahoma in 2006 , but what is the 6 power conference thing , there had never been 6

west:
usc
ucla
stanford
oregon
washington
nd
Nebraska
houston
smu
iowa
wisconson
minn

east:
northwestern
purdue
indiana
illinois
michigan
michigan state
ohio state
penn state
rutkers
maryland
nc
miami

WTH, Houston and SMU 🤣

NIL is what is taylor made for the Longhorns. When they get the right coach, they will blast everyone away. There is no other school like them. No one has the alumni and financial resources that they do. Look at their endowment, only Harvard's is larger. As far as wanting to join an academically superior conference, nothing could be further from these top ranked players minds. There are exceptions, but as we learned from the North Carolina academic investigation/fraud, many if not most of their FB players, as in other sec/acc teams, were reading on a 4th to 6th grade level, thus the creation of the phony classes that were exposed. Academics are a problem for these players. We will soon be in the new era where these football players are not students at all. They will be employees of the incorporated Athletic Departments that are licensed to use a university's name and logo just as Lane Kiffin described about a month ago. As he stated, the sec is now a professional football league. They are triple A ball, the Big 10 is double A ball. Many schools outside the two super conferences will, in the next 10 to 20 years, drop the sport as their relevance, and then interest, declines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT