ADVERTISEMENT

The interception

Baxter48

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
Can someone explain to me why the pass to Lloyd was an interception, I was always under the impression that a simultaneous catch goes to the offense? The defensive player didn’t have possession until he wrestled it away on the ground, one the receiver hits the ground isn’t the play dead?

Can someone explain to me why the pass to Lloyd was an interception, I was always under the impression that a simultaneous catch goes to the offense? The defensive player didn’t have possession until he wrestled it away on the ground, one the receiver hits the ground isn’t the play dead?
They said Lloyd never possessed the ball. He got lazy on the catch and never fully possessed it.

What was your opinion? I thought he caught the ball but didn’t hang onto it like he should have
It was close to bobbling it, not having possession, which unfortunately he did not. The defender got his hands on it, rolled away to give him more control of it than Lloyd.

Reactions: HuskerO
It's not just a body part hitting the ground. He has to maintain possession all the way through the catch, which he didn't.

I think most people were surprised DR came out for that series. Good learning lesson for all Huskers involved. Close doesn't always work.
Are you suggesting because of the interception he was pulled for the next series? If so, I respectfully disagree.

Reactions: HuskerO
Lloyd only had one hand on the ball the defender had 2. It was called an interception if the referee calls it a catch it would have stayed a catch.
At one point as they are going to the ground, both of Lloyd's hands come off the ball. After that, it looked to me as if the DB got possession before the wrestling match started.

I hated to see Raiola get an INT, but the call was correct in my opinion.

That was one of those plays where it was going to stand upon reviewing no matter which way it was called on the field.

A case could be made both ways and yes dual possession is like tie goes to the runner

Reactions: huntered
Are you suggesting because of the interception he was pulled for the next series? If so, I respectfully disagree.
Not at all. Saying Rhule could have easily sat him and called it a good day. But he sent him back out to get some more work and it ended up being a good lesson for DR and the wideouts. DR could have led Lloyd IMO, and Lloyd could have fought a little harder for that contested pass, IMO.

It's not just a body part hitting the ground. He has to maintain possession all the way through the catch, which he didn't.
that's the part that had me blowing up. great play by db. close to great play by Lloyd. great pass for first int by rao. one int for every 80 pass attempts. also one sack. how nice it is to argue over this.

Last edited:
Not at all. Saying Rhule could have easily sat him and called it a good day. But he sent him back out to get some more work and it ended up being a good lesson for DR and the wideouts. DR could have led Lloyd IMO, and Lloyd could have fought a little harder for that contested pass, IMO.
Got it… misread when you said DR came out for that series, I read it as came out of the game, not came out for next series… my bad.

so a reciever is running at full speed, jumps up catches and controls the ball at a high point, comes down still in control of the ball, hits the ground with his knee and the impact of the ball still in control and the db grabs the ball also on the way down and with leverage rolls. somehow the reciever is not fighting hard enough for the ball? wow. not long enough maybe so or maybe not. bitchin about reciever is ludicrous.

so a reciever is running at full speed, jumps up catches and controls the ball at a high point, comes down still in control of the ball, hits the ground with his knee and the impact of the ball still in control and the db grabs the ball also on the way down and with leverage rolls. somehow the reciever is not fighting hard enough for the ball? wow. not long enough maybe so or maybe not. bitchin about reciever is ludicrous.
I didn’t see it that way. I don’t think he ever had control

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
I haven't read anyone else's comments yet, but to me, Lloyd never had possession to begin with. The ball seemed to be still moving when he hit the ground and wasn't cleanly caught until the defender took the ball.

Either way, I like the call. Fight for the ball all the way to the ground and may the one who wants to win the most, reap the reward.

They said Lloyd never possessed the ball. He got lazy on the catch and never fully possessed it.
Not true, he possessed the ball until his button hit the ground,...and then the DB wrestled it to a dual possession. Either way, an offensive completion.

I haven't read anyone else's comments yet, but to me, Lloyd never had possession to begin with. The ball seemed to be still moving when he hit the ground and wasn't cleanly caught until the defender took the ball.

Either way, I like the call. Fight for the ball all the way to the ground and may the one who wants to win the most, reap the reward.
I back the huskers in all close calls. I still want the second taken off the clock. the clock was kept on the field at the time and not in the broadcast booth

At one point as they are going to the ground, both of Lloyd's hands come off the ball. After that, it looked to me as if the DB got possession before the wrestling match started.

I hated to see Raiola get an INT, but the call was correct in my opinion.
I don't hink any of us wanted that interception to occur, but it didn't hurt us, and sometimes when you lose that "0" and replace it with a "1" things lessen the focus of that goose egg.

This all sounds great, but at no point do I remember Lloyd fully controlling the ball.

I back the huskers in all close calls. I still want the second taken off the clock. the clock was kept on the field at the time and not in the broadcast booth
I back the call that is correct. I won't complain if a call goes our way nor will I cry for it to be reversed, but when asked if a call was correct or not, I'll give the answer that is right. Not what I want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT