ADVERTISEMENT

The freshmen spirit

msjgroup

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
Not one new offensive “freshman” face played on offense today. Not Andre Hunt, not Miles Jones, none of the two or three TEs. Frost rotated in some of the upperclassmen and JUCO transfers at wideout but we couldn’t get the ball to them. Glad to see Massour make an impact but would’ve expected to see Jones get in. Sounds like Frost is doing an experiment with the old guys or using this four game redshirt rule until after he proves his point about the old guys.

Last edited:
Not one new offensive “freshman” face played on offense today. Not Andre Hunt, not Miles Jones, none of the TEs. Frost rotated in some of the upperclassmen and JUCO transfers at wideout but we couldn’t get the ball to them. Glad to see Massour make an impact but tell me how he got in over Jones. Sounds like Frost is doing an experiment with the old guys or using this four game redshirt rule until after he proves his point about the old guys. Very frustrating.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the entire freshman class transfer after this year.

Frost just doesn’t get it.

Martinez played! He is a true frosh! Maurice Washington played he is a true frosh.
Last time I checked AM is the only scholarship QB but ok. There were at least 15 freshmen that traveled today and you can call two that played on offense. The upperclassmen have proven they don’t deserve to be on abybody’s football team let alone a Power 5 team. Simply embarrassing. Top to bottom.

Reactions: rrthusker
Last time I checked AM is the only scholarship QB but ok. There were at least 15 freshmen that traveled today and you can call two that played on offense. The upperclassmen have proven they don’t deserve to be on abybody’s football team let alone a Power 5 team. Simply embarrassing. Top to bottom.
Woodyard got in there late, Hunt as well.

For all you naysayers poking fun at the OP. Ask yourselves why teams loaded with studs like Alabsma, Ohio St, and Clemson can play true freshman a ton and Nebraska cant?

For all you naysayers poking fun at the OP. Ask yourselves why teams loaded with studs like Alabsma, Ohio St, and Clemson can play true freshman a ton and Nebraska cant?
We aren’t playing freshmen? Martinez, Washington, Allen, Danniels, Tannor, Pickering, Taylor. All on the two deep, getting get meaningful PT.

Whose left that you think isn’t getting a shot? Jones, Hunt?

This would be a fair question if it was asked why when we have been told Miles Jones had earned playing time prior to his pink eye has not seen the field yet. That is a good question to ask IMO!

We aren’t playing freshmen? Martinez, Washington, Allen, Danniels, Tannor, Pickering, Taylor. All on the two deep, getting get meaningful PT.

The post was specific to offense and could probably add ST to the conversation. Receivers (Hunt), running back (Jones), Tight Ends (2 or 3). Defense is doing a better job of rotating in freshmen for sure. Tyjon and Mike Williams have been absolutely silent.

Other than Martinez, Pickering and Washington, the other couple of freshman are getting VERY VERY limited time mostly on special teams. What I’m suggesting is we rip some guys out of their one spot and replace them. If they aren’t getting the job done then let the other young guys get more of a significant role. And the other poster that notes Alabama and Clemson playing freshman in significant roles is 100% correct. Add Georgia and Auburn to that list and last I checked all four of these teams are top 25 or better.

Whose Allen and Danniels? Never heard of them definitely not as freshmen.

Whose Allen and Danniels? Never heard of them definitely not as freshmen.
Austin Allen and Damien Daniels are both RS freshmen and get quality PT. Who are these freshmen you think will change things. I could see Taylor getting more PT with Jackson’s struggles, but I guarantee that Coach Frost would be playing young players if they were good enough. I just don’t believe we have difference makers making plays all over the field in practice, that we refuse to play on Saturdays because the staff doesn’t want tot hurt the feelings of some upperclassmen they didn’t even recruit.

Sarcasm at its finest. You didn’t exactly make a stellar first post. Frost is losing the freshmen? Really? Talk about knee-jerk reactions...
That’s what free will is all about. Making knee-jerk reactions. I’m sure you’ve made a few yourself coach. And I’m sure the freshmen and new recruits alike may be feeling a bit dejected after all they are only 17 and 18 year olds. Don’t think my post is too far fetched for anyone that knows teenaged boys that are true competitors.

Exactly.
Seriously... I never knew there were so many potential head coaches who post on this board. What overlooked talent.

I'm amazed at all the coaching that is just WASTED here on these message boards. Some of the guys here DESERVE high paying gigs as consultants all over the country. Your true callings have tragically been missed. Responses all over the place, here. It is quite an amazing phenomenon how they assimilate knowledge out of the atmosphere and all of a sudden are inspired.

Maybe it's true revelation from heaven.

It's a freedom of speech thing. I still think, if SF can't do it here, I don't know who will. GBR.

Reactions: timnsun
Frost has mentioned Miles Jones a few times and said that he was scheduled to get time against Akron and CU but had pink eye. Pink Eye should be healed and we still have not seen him. He would be the one I would wonder about for sure!

That’s what free will is all about. Making knee-jerk reactions. I’m sure you’ve made a few yourself coach. And I’m sure the freshmen and new recruits alike may be feeling a bit dejected after all they are only 17 and 18 year olds. Don’t think my post is too far fetched for anyone that knows teenaged boys that are true competitors.
Fine. Let’s assume you’re right on with this brilliant observation. Do we really want players who don’t want to work hard and be here? If these freshmen are so fragile that they are having their spirits killed, how will they help us down the road?

Frost doesn’t give handouts. You have to work for it. Period. If these freshmen think Frost is doing them wrong, Oregon State is still looking for difference makers.

Frost has mentioned Miles Jones a few times and said that he was scheduled to get time against Akron and CU but had pink eye. Pink Eye should be healed and we still have not seen him. He would be the one I would wonder about for sure!
Don’t know what the answer is, but maybe he missed a fair amount of practice time because he couldn’t see out of that eye?

Just a guess.

Exactly.
Seriously... I never knew there were so many potential head coaches who post on this board. What overlooked talent.
If you think I need to be a coach to see that what we put on the field today does not look like anything called talent. Definitely not Big10 level talent. I as many other posters believe that the freshmen couldn’t do any worse. We struggled in offense (130 offensive yards total) and in the secondary today and we have freshmen that might be more hungry and more aligned to the Scott Frost style of play since he recruited them. When guys aren’t doing their jobs sometimes you just need to shake it up and make them think their jobs are at risk.

• QB Adrian Martinez
  • RB Maurice Washington
  • RB Miles Jones (didn’t play)
  • WR Andre Hunt (didn’t play)
  • TE Cameron Jurgens (didn’t play)
  • OLB Caleb Tannor
  • CB Braxton Clark (didn’t play)
  • CB Cam Taylor (mostly ST)
  • S CJ Smith (didn’t play)
  • K Barrett Pickering
  • OL Hunter Miller (RSFR)
  • TE Austin Allen (RSFR)
  • TE Kurt Rafdal (RSFR)
  • WR Jaevon McQuitty (RSFR) (very limited)
  • NT Damion Daniels (RSFR)
  • OLB Guy Thomas (RSFR)
    Fine. Let’s assume you’re right on with this brilliant observation. Do we really want players who don’t want to work hard and be here? If these freshmen are so fragile that they are having their spirits killed, how will they help us down the road?

Frost doesn’t give handouts. You have to work for it. Period. If these freshmen think Frost is doing them wrong, Oregon State is still looking for difference makers.
    you’ve totally missed the point. Goodnight.

Exactly. Why did we hire this toad? My God the man cannot coach at all. Good grief, any moron can see that Miles Jones should be playing.
Yeah I think any moron can see that the old crew isn’t getting it done. Get rid of them and replace them with all freshmen and high school students. At least they’ll fight. Michigan players even interviewed after the game saying they could tell our players didn’t even want to play.

If you think I need to be a coach to see that what we put on the field today does not look like anything called talent. Definitely not Big10 level talent. I as many other posters believe that the freshmen couldn’t do any worse. We struggled in offense (130 offensive yards total) and in the secondary today and we have freshmen that might be more hungry and more aligned to the Scott Frost style of play since he recruited them. When guys aren’t doing their jobs sometimes you just need to shake it up and make them think their jobs are at risk.

• QB Adrian Martinez
  • RB Maurice Washington
  • RB Miles Jones (didn’t play)
  • WR Andre Hunt (didn’t play)
  • TE Cameron Jurgens (didn’t play)
  • OLB Caleb Tannor
  • CB Braxton Clark (didn’t play)
  • CB Cam Taylor (mostly ST)
  • S CJ Smith (didn’t play)
  • K Barrett Pickering
  • OL Hunter Miller (RSFR)
  • TE Austin Allen (RSFR)
  • TE Kurt Rafdal (RSFR)
  • WR Jaevon McQuitty (RSFR) (very limited)
  • NT Damion Daniels (RSFR)
  • OLB Guy Thomas (RSFR)

you’ve totally missed the point. Goodnight.
Look at the title of this thread. You asked if Frost was killing the spirits of the freshmen. I didn’t say that, you did.

If Frost started playing different underclassmen next week, I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all. I agree, it couldn’t be much worse. But that’s not what you claimed.

You said, and I quote, “The coaches will kill the freshmen spirit.” That is the issue I took with you. Period. If you intended to say the coaches should play the youngsters, fine.

I do not agree at all that the coaches are killing he spirits of the freshmen. And if they are, then let them go to Oregon state.

Understand?

Reactions: headcard
Look at the title of this thread. You asked if Frost was killing the spirits of the freshmen. I didn’t say that, you did.

If Frost started playing different underclassmen next week, I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all. I agree, it couldn’t be much worse. But that’s not what you claimed.

You said, and I quote, “The coaches will kill the freshmen spirit.” That is the issue I took with you. Period. If you intended to say the coaches should play the youngsters, fine.

I do not agree at all that the coaches are killing he spirits of the freshmen. And if they are, then let them go to Oregon state.

Understand?
The point is, that it doesn’t seem as though Frost is going to give up on the current strategy and players. We haven’t seen many adjustments from one week to the next and on offense no new freshmen playing. So all my point is is that he will kill their spirits if he doesn’t make adjustments soon. I’m betting that next week will be more of the same. Tyjon fielding punts, Tyjon and Mike Williams at receiver, Lamar Jackson at DB.

The point is, that it doesn’t seem as though Frost is going to give up on the current strategy and players. We haven’t seen many adjustments from one week to the next and on offense no new freshmen playing. So all my point is is that he will kill their spirits if he doesn’t make adjustments soon. I’m betting that next week will be more of the same. Tyjon fielding punts, Tyjon and Mike Williams at receiver, Lamar Jackson at DB.
And if he does that, he has a reason, even if I don’t know what it is.

Listen, I said to my wife today during the game, I hope he plays freshmen and sophomores from here on out. I was so disgusted with our play, especially the OLine.

Having said that, Frost’s track record is better than mine. As much as I would like to see a youth movement, if the same guys are playing next week, Frost knows more than I do why that is. And I don’t think it’s so that he doesn’t hurt the feelings of some upperclassmen...

Have you emailed him your ideas, yet. This will get to his administrative assistant that gets emails to him. I'm sure it would get passed onto him.

jduff@huskers.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT