ADVERTISEMENT

The difference one coach can make.

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
Look at what Mark Richt has done with Miami Hurricanes football. He's brought the swag back at Miami. The last time Miami was relevant was back in 2003. If Nebraska would pony up some $ and hire a good proven coach, they might be able to get back to the glory days like everybody wants. They might have to pay for a good coach over $5 mil a season. Moos should go ahead and fire Riley or Riley should realize a poor job he's done since he's been here and retire.

Look at what Mark Richt has done with Miami Hurricanes football. He's brought the swag back at Miami. The last time Miami was relevant was back in 2003. If Nebraska would pony up some $ and hire a good proven coach, they might be able to get back to the glory days like everybody wants. They might have to pay for a good coach over $5 mil a season. Moos should go ahead and fire Riley or Riley should realize a poor job he's done since he's been here and retire.

For some reason our administration and even some in the fan base has shuttered at actually paying up for a coach. But you know what? If you break it down by $/win if you pay a guy $6 million and he wins 10 games you are making a better investment than $3 million when they only get you 4 wins.

For some reason our administration and even some in the fan base has shuttered at actually paying up for a coach. But you know what? If you break it down by $/win if you pay a guy $6 million and he wins 10 games you are making a better investment than $3 million when they only get you 4 wins.

You couldn't have said it any better. You pay more for quality vs quantity. 4 coaches since 1998.

You couldn't have said it any better. You pay more for quality vs quantity. 4 coaches since 1998.

Yeah. And then add in what we had to payout after coaches left. Hell....might as well have gotten good, proven coaches for $5 million a year because that is what we ended up paying our crap ones.

RollingLaugh at the notion of posters on Husker Board judging what a good coach is. BBQ sauce, yes....coaches?...no.

Due to buyouts, the money we have paid our comparatively cheap coaches approaches what we would have paid a more 'expensive' coach in the first place.

Reactions: gagelincoln21
RollingLaugh at the notion of posters on Husker Board judging what a good coach is. BBQ sauce, yes....coaches?...no.

It isn’t hard. It is like the stock market. Riley was a stock that had been declining for 20 years straight. It was on the verge of bankruptcy (retirement) with fundamentals that looked like crap and a bunch of fans and our administration thought it was a good idea to cash out our 401k and dump the life savings into it.

Reactions: Huskercigar
A good coach, that Nebraska could have hired, Mark Richt, laying a beating on Notre Dame 34-0.

You're preaching to the choir... Eichorst was the problem and now we suffered for it...

Can't wait for firing and hopefully a great hire by Moos.

Reactions: bomber89
You guys are missing a major factor. Miami and Georgia are greater places than Nebraska. Meaning they would hardly consider northern schools like NU.

I'm a LA Rams fan, have been for all my life. Sean McVay has made the difference in LA. With virtually the same players as his predecessor (Jeff Fisher), McVay has turned that team into a winner.

I see no reason that with the right hire, it can't be done at Nebraska. We do have talent despite what some of the fans think. It's probably not upper echelon but it's enough to WIN the BIGTen West.

It just needs to be coached and put in position to WIN.

A good coach, that Nebraska could have hired, Mark Richt, laying a beating on Notre Dame 34-0.
My understanding was he would not come here. We didn’t throw the money at him, so who knows? I would have like to see him here 3 years ago...

My understanding was he would not come here. We didn’t throw the money at him, so who knows? I would have like to see him here 3 years ago...

Besides Alvarez who in the hell did Eichorst discuss who too hire...

Wonder If he even considered Richt.

Maybe the higher ups at Nebraska that makes those decisions about the coaches are penny pinchers and wants to save their $ and see if they can win with less. That's not going to work now, donors and boosters need to pony up the doe.

Reactions: timnsun
Ha! remember when Richt sucked at UGA? Oh yeah, neither do I...now he is also not sucking at Miami
He underperformed at Georgia. Georgia is chock full of tremendous high school talent and he didn’t recruit as well as he should have. His teams always lost to teams they had no business losing to. I was always surprised they kept letting Richt come back to coach year after year.

Until today, Kirby Smart had already in his short stint at Georgia reached heights that Richt never got to. I guess the change in scenery has done Richt a world of good!

Reactions: oldjar07
He underperformed at Georgia. Georgia is chock full of tremendous high school talent and he didn’t recruit as well as he should have. His teams always lost to teams they had no business losing to. I was always surprised they kept letting Richt come back to coach year after year.

Agreed. +1

Richt had 11 3 or more loss seasons and 6 of them were 4 or more loss seasons. Multiple blow out losses and many losses to unranked opponents. All that despite 11 top 10 recruiting classes and many top 5 classes. Georgia was the biggest underachieving program in the nation under Richt.

Miami beats Notre Dame by a large margin and Richt is suddenly Saban. Keep in mind that Notre Dames biggest accomplishment was losing to Georgia by 1 point and Georgia got beat down hard earlier today.

Maybe Richt did indeed learn some valuable lessons after being fired from Georgia. But I’m going to wait and see how things pan-out for a long time before I start feeling bad about not hiring him.

Agreed. +1

Richt had 11 3 or more loss seasons and 6 of them were 4 or more loss seasons. Multiple blow out losses and many losses to unranked opponents. All that despite 11 top 10 recruiting classes and many top 5 classes. Georgia was the biggest underachieving program in the nation under Richt.

Miami beats Notre Dame by a large margin and Richt is suddenly Saban. Keep in mind that Notre Dames biggest accomplishment was losing to Georgia by 1 point and Georgia got beat down hard earlier today.

Maybe Richt did indeed learn some valuable lessons after being fired from Georgia. But I’m going to wait and see how things pan-out for a long time before I start feeling bad about not hiring him.

Until tonight Miami has been rather unimpressive as well. They deserve credit for continuing to win, that is all they can do but they've looked shaky in some of their games.

Reactions: vs540husker

There is enough talent in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Cty to field a National Champ contender every year. Nebraska, not so much.

Although football is a sport that requires athletes, a "Football Team" is a marketing division of the University of Nebraska Lincoln. If you want a successful marketing department, you need a person who can take the athletes and mold them into the image that you want to reflect the university. For the past 20 years the university has wanted to ignore this fact and stick their noses in the air trying to become an elite scholarly institution, starting behind the 8 ball 100 years late to the party.

Follow the enrollment of schools that have successful football programs and tell me it's not fact. Successful programs bring in students and monies that go back into the coffers of the university. A coach is not a drain on the monies or the image of the school. He is the chess master who should be able to put young men in place to be successful on and off the field.

To use a business axium, you need to spend money to make money. Even though universities are supposed to be non-profit entities we all know better. If the powers to be really want to be successful on the field of play they need to spend the money. Spending the money will enhance the marketing department and in return be able to reflect the image of the university in positive ways. It's an endless cycle that keeps repeating itself.

Reactions: bomber89
Didn't he lose to Bo Pelini with far superior athletes?

I'm a LA Rams fan, have been for all my life. Sean McVay has made the difference in LA. With virtually the same players as his predecessor (Jeff Fisher), McVay has turned that team into a winner.

I see no reason that with the right hire, it can't be done at Nebraska. We do have talent despite what some of the fans think. It's probably not upper echelon but it's enough to WIN the BIGTen West.

I think there is talent here but I do question the heart, will, and work ethic of many on the roster. I think a MAJOR attitude adjustment is needed by the next coaching staff. If some don’t want to fall in line then maybe playing football here is not for them.

Reactions: 1Ramsker3
I think we all know the difference one coach can make. We've witnessed the difference one coach has made the last 3 years.

I think there is talent here but I do question the heart, will, and work ethic of many on the roster. I think a MAJOR attitude adjustment is needed by the next coaching staff. If some don’t want to fall in line then maybe playing football here is not for them.
I think the kids coming back next year will be hungry and very easy to win over and coach. IMO, we will see a quick turn around to respectability. Not saying we'll win the west but we'll compete IF we make a decent hire.

Georgia fans ran Richt out of town because he couldn't "win The Big One." One progam's trash is another program's treasure.

GOOD coaches not only know X's and O's but they change CULTURE for the better, they LEAD...that culture change and leadership leads to heart, will, work ethic, trust, and passion from the players. Not to mention loyalty/trust from the fan base, administration, boosters and former players. A lot of coaches know X's and O's but don't lead. I think it's very hard to find a GOOD coach.

In any situation coaching included, the new guy will look especially good if the one he was replacing was in the bottom 20% in his profession. And that is certainly what Jeff Fischer had become, probably one of the three worst so bottom 10%. McVay is doing a great job though.

Richt is at Miami.. the slowest kid on the team probably runs a 4.9 LOL.. apples to oranges. Miami can crank up a team in 24 months.. Nebraska will be a long haul, they simply offer no advantages vs OSU, PSU, UM, MSU while being in a an area with far smaller talent pool. Wiscy was built and is still run by Alvarez.. and that project took YEARS. Texas is not answer, not only do you compete with UT, but now LSU, aTm, and the SEC have their tentacles in place.

If you are expecting final 4 runs you will be grossly disappointed no matter who shows up.. but if you want a solid team to win 7 during bad years and 10 during good ones you have a good chance at enjoying your team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT