ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Fish....

HuskerNorm

Walk On
Jan 28, 2004
Here are the guys rated 5.7 (highest 3 star ranking) or above that are still on our board. Let me know if I missed someone and I will try and keep this somewhat updated.

5 stars (6.1 ranking)
Joseph Lewis--WR
Tyler Shelvin- DT

4 Stars (5.9 ranking)
Greg Johnson--CB
Deommodore Lenoir--CB
Elijah Blades--CB
Bryan Thompson--WR

4 Star (5.8 ranking)
Nick Robinson--TE/WR
Isaac Slade-Matautia--LB
Robert Beal--DE
Lynn Bowden--WR
Jamire Calvin-- WR
Randal Grimes--WR

3 Star (5.7 ranking)
Gavin Holmes--WR
Damion Daniels--DT
Kamren Curl--DB
Michael Onyemaobi--ATH
Jaquan Henderson--LB

Committed (guys at/above 5.7 ranking)
Tyjon Lindsey--WR (6.0)
Tristan Gebbia-- QB (5.9)
Avery Roberts--LB (5.9)
Jaevon McQuitty--WR (5.8)
Keyshawn Johnson Jr.--WR (5.8)
Guy Thomas--DE (5.8)
Brenden Jaimes--OL (5.7)

Last edited:
Here are the guys rated 5.7 (highest 3 star ranking) or above that are still on our board. Let me know if I missed someone and I will try and keep this somewhat updated.

5 stars (6.1 ranking)
Joseph Lewis--WR
Foster Sarell--OT
Tyler Shelvin--DT
Darnay Holmes--CB/WR

4 Stars (5.9 ranking)
Greg Johnson--CB
Chuck Filiaga--OT
Deommodore Lenoir--CB
Elijah Blades--CB

4 Star (5.8 ranking)
Nick Robinson--TE/WR
Isaac Slade-Matautia--LB
Jamire Calvin--WR

3 Star (5.7 ranking)
Gavin Holmes--WR
Damion Daniels--DT
Kamren Curl--DB

Avery Roberts--LB (5.9)
Guy Thomas--DE (5.8)
Brenden Jaimes--OL (5.7)

Robert Beal 6.0 DE
Andries 5.7 OT
Rafdal 5.6 TE - I would still consider him a Big Fish, based on Want

Can't wait till tomorrow to find out where we stand with a handful of recruits...

Hoping for a big surprise and landing 2 or 3 announcements would make my weekend after the big win last night over Iowa.

Reactions: kingsfsp
Just curious, you included Elijah Blades who is committed to Florida. Are you including flip targets as well?

Rahyme Johnson and late offer Lynn Bowden would be two more names to add to the list.

Thought someone said the staff has cooled on Rahyme Johnson due to some behavioral things? Maybe i'm wrong.

I see names like Filiaga on the list. Who doesn't think he's going to Michigan at this point? Not to stir the pot, but the question points to who or who shouldn't be included on the list. If we're including everyone, then include everyone.

And I see that HBK4life says RJohnson just picked UCLA, so it's a moot point for RJohnson.

I see names like Filiaga on the list. Who doesn't think he's going to Michigan at this point? Not to stir the pot, but the question points to who or who shouldn't be included on the list. If we're including everyone, then include everyone.

And I see that HBK4life says RJohnson just picked UCLA, so it's a moot point for RJohnson.

Chill out. I included Blades because he is visiting in January.

We haven't been recruiting Rahyme Johnson for quite some time. Thought that was common knowledge.

Will add Robert Beal as I see we are still going strong after.

Haven't heard anything about Lynn Bowden. Care to fill me in?

Are we actually still recruiting Andries or is it just speculation based on the fact Minnesota has a new coach? His recent twitter post seemed pretty clear regarding his intentions regarding the Gophers but I could be wrong.

Reactions: kingsfsp

We haven't been recruiting Rahyme Johnson for quite some time. Thought that was common knowledge.

Are we actually still recruiting Andries or is it just speculation based on the fact Minnesota has a new coach? His recent twitter post seemed pretty clear regarding his intentions regarding the Gophers but I could be wrong.

Bowden has been buddies with Vince Marrow for a long time. He's probably a strong Kentucky lean.

Has he visited and/or does he have a visit scheduled? I see he has an offer, does anyone know when we offered?

I don't know if he visited. I seem to remember Keith Williams doing the offer/in home visit on Twitter sometime around Turkey day.

Also, does anyone know if Shelvin isn't planning on visiting anymore? I know he re-affirmed to LSU at the UA game and if he doesn't have a visit scheduled then he's probably off the board.

Also, does anyone know if Shelvin isn't planning on visiting anymore? I know he re-affirmed to LSU at the UA game and if he doesn't have a visit scheduled then he's probably off the board.

Shelvin isn't at the Under Armour game, he is at the Army All American

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that we get Calvin and Daniels off that list and nobody else. Maybe Greg Johnson.
If we got those two, and possibly the third, it is still a pretty good haul. It is exciting to see NU's name associated with so many high end recruits. That has not happened in a while.
If we do end up getting Darnay and few of the others then ... jeepers creepers it would set fireworks off for this program. However, I am just in a real "prove it to me-wait and see-been there and been burned too many times before" mode to get too excited just yet.

Calvin and Daniels are ours to lose. Johnson and Joseph Lewis are still good possibilities. If we don't get Lewis I think we get Gavin Holmes.

Do we end up with one out of the group of defensive backs other than Johnson: D. Holmes, D. Lenoir, E. Blades, or K. Curl?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we get at least 5 more guys rated 5.7 or higher. That would put us at 11 for the year if we hold on to all our current guys. We had 9 in both 2016 and 2015 so that wouldn't be totally out of nowhere.

Last edited:
CJ Verdell hasn't said he's canceled his visit yet, so I would assume we still have a shot there, although the Bradley commitment is still fresh.

CJ Verdell hasn't said he's canceled his visit yet, so I would assume we still have a shot there, although the Bradley commitment is still fresh.

Verdell is actually a 5.5 3 star on Rivals. Which is surprising considering his rankings from other services.

Very slim, IMO.

Yeah I don't think they are good but we offered after he was already committed to Oregon so the coaches must have known something. I am still holding out a little hope we get Darrian Felix. Who knows though, we might be done at RB.

I don't know if he is a 5.7 or higher, but is Felix, the speedy RB out of Florida, visiting later this month too?

I don't know if he is a 5.7 or higher, but is Felix, the speedy RB out of Florida, visiting later this month too?

Felix is a 5.5 also. Though i would love to have him. I have not heard he is visiting but we are still in it with him as far as I know.

I wasn't trying to get a "chill out" response, just trying to see what names you wanted to include. Another poster brought up RJohnson cooling, leading me to Filiaga and any flippers. The icy hot incident(s) with RJohnson may have resulted in cooling. The Minnesota incident with Quran Hafiz resulted in us not wanting to be associated with him.

It's all good on my end.

Concerning Shelvin. Here's an article from a week ago with Shelvin clarifying his LSU commitment and where programs stand with him.

He is not pledged 100% to LSU. His breakdown is as follows:

95% to LSU
94% to Alabama
90% to NU

In another article I read (don't remember the source, so no link), Shelvin is highly interested in the academic support functions provided by each school. If it's true, sounds like a goodly portion of his visit would be showing what we can provide.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
Concerning Shelvin. Here's an article from a week ago with Shelvin clarifying his LSU commitment and where programs stand with him.

95% to LSU
94% to Alabama
90% to NU

In another article I read (don't remember the source, so no link), Shelvin is highly interested in the academic support functions provided by each school. If it's true, sounds like a goodly portion of his visit would be showing what we can provide.

That sounds positive! Just read on another board we are trying to get Beal to visit the same weekend as Shelvin. That would be big imho.

95% to LSU
94% to Alabama
90% to NU

Wow. I did not think our chances were anywhere near that good with him. Thanks for posting this

That sounds positive! Just read on another board we are trying to get Beal to visit the same weekend as Shelvin. That would be big imho.

Seems like Beal was going to add one more official visit to his list, between NU and S Carolina. Rivals and another recruiting site are both showing Beal to visit S. Carolina on 01/13/17. Maybe jflores has more intell.

Reactions: OC INC
Seems like Beal was going to add one more official visit to his list, between NU and S Carolina. Rivals and another recruiting site are both showing Beal to visit S. Carolina on 01/13/17. Maybe jflores has more intell.

Rivals has him visiting S. Carolina on the 13th. It also only shows 1 other official visit that he's taken though so he may visit another weekend. Seems it won't be with Shelvin though. That's a bummer.

I haven't heard anything.

Avery Roberts--LB (5.9)
Guy Thomas--DE (5.8)
Brenden Jaimes--OL (5.7)
This is terrible. We just don't have enough great talent thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT